Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1271508 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Mid July Patch / Zyra - 1.0.0.143
« Reply #9210 on: July 25, 2012, 09:06:11 pm »

Completely stopping co-op is something that's not going to happen for a long damn time. I use it primarily so I can get a feel for what the champ's talents actually do, as well as an initial test for item builds -- to figure out roughly how the progression works and what to loosely expect from performance. In the poppy case, I now have a better idea of exactly what a few items do for her skills and how those skills react to certain situations, and am now much better equipped to apply it to a more skilled opponent. Better to do one low skill game to ease in than three or four higher ones that just demolish me, just to get a handle on exactly what the one let me figure out.

I do alright theory crafting a lot of that, but without some actual hands-on in a fairly loose situation, when I try to apply it to a more capable opponent, I just melt -- and worse, I don't really learn much from it, because I don't end up able to actually lever the setup's capabilities in any way, because I'm too busy having no real hint what I'm doing and what certain things are going to do, and getting squished into the ground because of it.

The last time I went into a PvP with a build I hadn't ran through co-op first, I ended up 1/6 and just had no flipping idea how to actually work what I was trying to work. The only thing I learned from it was that laning against malph with Mundo is somewhat suboptimal, especially in the early game.

To put it another way, I'm not nearly at the point where I get much out of blind runs. Start small, work up, works better, for me, for now.

E: Honestly, it's very similar to how I've played most roguelikes. Do it on easy or cheat to ease the game first, to learn the system and how certain situations play out, then come through and play it legit. It saves so much damn time for me it's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:12:03 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9211 on: July 25, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »

I never learned to use the Co-Op system. I started back in 2009, when Nidalee and Udyr were the newest champions, and Gragas, Pantheon and Poppy came later. In fact, whenever a new champ comes out, I look at their skillset and boom, all I need to see to know how it works. If I buy a champ I haven't played much, or at all before... Well, who the fuck cares? I don't do ranked, so people have no reason to whine at me for being a new to some champ. Testing out in a Co-Op match isn't the same as testing against real players, you don't get the feel of it. Every game when I play against bots (when I'm bored) The team kills end up like 60/15 or something. Fucking hell, I palyed AP Mundo some time ago and I raped because the bots don't dodge the cleavers, nor do they finish me off in a duel (they're as low hp as me, but then they start running back because their hp gets too low. Fuck, I'm 100 hp, finish me off you asshat.) Bot ganks aren't the best either, especially since they never jungle. Do they ever even take the buffs, dragon or baron?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9212 on: July 25, 2012, 09:47:40 pm »

if you stuck to playing pvp games you'd get your matchmaking sorted out to where you are playing against equivalent opponents.  Bots don't give you a good feel for how to play against people.

Early on in my LoL playing I wanted to try out soraka, I did a co-op game and smashed the other lane, and snowballed hard.  I tried to do the same build in a pvp game and it didn't work at all.  The snowballing from playing against bots gives you false positives on  the effectiveness of builds in a real game.

PvP games were intimidating at first, until I played a few games, got matched against equal opponents, and realized that everyone else was just some person trying to figure out how to play the game.

About the only time i'll play a bot game is to do a solo test of a jungle build/route.  Laneing is all too reliant on your opponent's actions.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9213 on: July 25, 2012, 10:04:30 pm »

Dude, Frumple is like level 10. Let him play some more co-ops. If he does that at level 20, then there'll be a problem.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9214 on: July 25, 2012, 10:44:20 pm »

""Do they ever even take the buffs, dragon or baron?

By accident, yes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9215 on: July 25, 2012, 10:47:24 pm »

Only gotten back into this recently, but I tend to do better against players than Intermediate comps. Apparently their matchmaking service works. :x
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9216 on: July 26, 2012, 12:32:16 am »

I hate Zyra. Just wanted to announce it.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9217 on: July 26, 2012, 01:39:29 am »

New champion sneak peek! Looks like... a tanky dps. Possibly a tanky melee mage? Since people found out Rumble is actually really good and Riot immediately nerfed him in response.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/champion-sneak-peek-diana-scorn-moon

I'm kind of certain her name was in that big leak I posted long ago, so maybe we'll get more of the champions in that.

I wonder if we're getting another assassin soon. Sure, assassins fit so poorly in the current SR meta they might as well be named "pubstompers" but I'll be damned if they aren't incredibly fun to play in Dominion.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9218 on: July 26, 2012, 02:24:28 am »

Meh I played coop once to help a buddy test his jungle route, started playing with friends who where lvl 30 and pretty much 80% of my games where with higher level people, so in my 500 or so games, I always fought uphill battles - and it made me quite good.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9219 on: July 26, 2012, 02:55:10 am »

I hate Zyra. Just wanted to announce it.

I LOVE Zyra!
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9220 on: July 26, 2012, 03:03:40 am »

I'll continue to love Mundo, but I definitely should try other stuff, it seems. Co-op as Poppy ended up doing about three/four times the raw damage Mundo did in a similar game, and still managed to tank about the same multiple of damage (Going 22/2 didn't hurt >_>). Gonna' be another "I need to run this through PvP six or seven times and get a few 'gone south' scenarios". Hybrid-ish poppy's q seems to hurt pretty badly. More importantly, it was pretty fun. I love the kind of semi-meta where you point your ult at whoever has the lowest damage/least likely to die, then jump right into the middle of their team to murder a squishy and run back out laughing. That is enjoyable.

Ah Poppy is so damn awesome, and hybrid really is the way to go. What I don't understand is how people go Poppy and don't buy Sorcerer's Boots, it's like the best on Poppy regardless of her going hybrid or even pure AD because her Q is all magic all the time so getting that magic pen boots (and mag pen mastery) let's your Q have it's full potential. You have to be careful at higher level gameplay though, Poppy is one who can punish mistakes but if you play carefully against her then it's hard for her to do her full damage from abilities.

It's always good to get some early armour on Poppy so you can tower dive full hp champs with your ult at their tower. Also you need to be opportunistic with Poppy so movement speed quint runes and an early Zeal means you can smash those enemy champs into walls with your E more easily. Of course this is at high level gameplay, I pretty much leveled up to 30 with Poppy and it's very easy to take out the whole enemy team in the lower levels.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9221 on: July 26, 2012, 05:08:20 am »

Trying out the new Eve. Never liked the old one, but the new Eve seems fun.
Any build advice? I tried wriggle (starting with cloth) berserker gunblade my first game. It went well, won by a large margin. I planned on getting rageblade later on but the enemy team surrendered before that.
Her detection radius seems awfully large though. Just slightly smaller then the fog of war radius. Took flash to help mitigate that problem but I'm starting to doubt that decision.
Also how do you deal with the mana shortage after first blue, assuming the ones after that go to midlane. (or I take them anyway when mid takes to long to respond)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9222 on: July 26, 2012, 06:52:36 am »

About Coop : i think it's useful if you are considerate and don't want to ruin other people's games just to try new champs, but you have to be wary not to play only that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9223 on: July 26, 2012, 09:03:00 am »

Meh...I play mostly co-op because bots aren't dicks. 90% of opponents (and allies) in soloqueue PvP are.
And intermediate bots are actually a halfway decent challenge (though still exploitable and predictable at times).

It might be different if I was playing with an organized, communicative team or something, but I'm too old to waste my rage on soloqueue PvP.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9224 on: July 26, 2012, 09:12:14 am »

Just had three games in a row where one guy on our team quit. Gah. I'm afraid to think what will this do to my ELO.
Pages: 1 ... 613 614 [615] 616 617 ... 1067