Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1272875 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - Ziggs, the Hexplosives Expert - 1.0.0.133
« Reply #7380 on: February 10, 2012, 12:42:59 pm »

Is that actually in the LA for the WC3 editor?

That Blizzard gets rights to anything created in it's editor?

If it's not then it's a pretty bullshit move on the side of Blizzard, Riot had some shred of right since those two actually participated in making the map.

Ninja edit:
Oh, they gave the rights to Blizzard, silly eyes y u no read stuff.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7381 on: February 10, 2012, 12:55:26 pm »

Is that actually in the LA for the WC3 editor?

That Blizzard gets rights to anything created in it's editor?

If it's not then it's a pretty bullshit move on the side of Blizzard, Riot had some shred of right since those two actually participated in making the map.

Ninja edit:
Oh, they gave the rights to Blizzard, silly eyes y u no read stuff.
Yeah, Guinsoo & Pendragon had the rights for the DotA mod, and they sold the rights for Blizzard. Blizzard didn't own the mod itself.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:57:38 pm by Bordellimies »
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: February 10, 2012, 04:21:56 pm »

Let me tell you the story of a company called Xerox.

You see, back in ye olde days, before there were jetpacks and we all flew around in flying cars, Xerox was the shit. It let you copy stuff man. Holy cow batman, amazing to the nth degree! Everyone and their mother used Xerox and called copying, "Xerox-ing". Even dictionaries refer to photocopying as Xerox and still do. You might think, "wow, this is awesome! Now everyone will associate photocopying to this company. It's like free advertising forever!"

But you'd be horribly wrong.

Because there's terminology in law called "generic trademark".

A generic trademark, also known as a genericized trademark or proprietary eponym, is a trademark or brand name that has become the colloquial or generic description for, or synonymous with, a general class of product or service, rather than as an indicator of source or affiliation ("secondary meaning") as intended by the trademark's holder. Using a genericized trademark to refer to the general form of what that trademark represents is a form of metonymy.

What this means is that if a company's trademark is so commonly used as a regular term, then the trademark loses all value and is free game for anyone who wants to use it.

So.... what about DotA? Because as far as I know... even Wikipedia has an article called DOTA (genre). =|

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: February 10, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »

I think there was an exception, if you aren't yet in position to defend copyright infringement your trademark NOW, it isn't immediately fucking sold out.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: February 10, 2012, 05:25:13 pm »

Nothing to do with trademarks, but i wanted to share an amusing story : the story of my last game.

It all starts in Solo/duo queue (ranked), with people making difficult choices while picking their champions. One of us is disgruntled though : he wants Top or Jungle, and nothing else, alas, he is also the last one to pick.

Irritated by his lack of choice, he decides to select Twisted Fate, with spells like "Revive" and the like, stating outright in the chat "I will troll".

Alarmed by this grim turn of even, your servant panics a bit and in a flash of madness - or is it genius ? - decides to take his strongest champion, his beloved Tristana, even though the team already features a long-ranged warrior, with young and fierce Ashe, archer of Frost.

Then the Tragedy : at the last second, Twisted Fate is replaced by the Starchild, and it is too late to change my choice. Hear as the crowd shouts for my head ! "Report ! Report !" the Pirate goes. "All is but lost !" Another laments.

Pleading for mercy, I still hope that this misfortune won't be fatal : I know that the Jungles are now tamed somewhat - maybe young Tristana can go there after getting some experience, and rain down death and ambushes on my enemies ?

The battle starts, and as i join the rugged sailor on the north front, i try to calm down my peers, earning only a uncomfortable silence.

Eager for redemption, i take it upon me not to be a dead weight, and begin to damage considerably the weak and helpless Akali ; Two on one is not very fair, but it is certainly effective, and soon she hangs to life only by a thread, learning caution in the process, as she licks her wounds under the nearest tower.

As we route her once again, i notice my companion's signs : he points me at a foe trying to flank us, some sort of blind martial artist, dressed as a monk. With the ninja lady almost done for, we both converge on the blind fool, killing him outright, and then her, as she tries desperately to help.

Now armed with the crest of the Elder Lizard, i am far more efficient. As the pair of scoundrels face us in the open, fire is promptly opened on them and they suffer greatly, dying after a while, once and again. The path is now open, and the first tower falls.

The north front is secured, and i am now cheered by my companions ! "Hope has been revived !" they say.

The rest of the tale is just a flurry of heroic deeds. Giant birds made of ice are involved. I will not bore you with the details, suffice to say that the battle was won.

Young Tristana wore her pirate hat that day. An ironic wink of Fate, i say.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:33:07 pm by Sirian »

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: February 10, 2012, 05:29:52 pm »

I seem to be making progress - I've now been accused of kill stealing! Which seems a common and baffling complaint in a co-op game. I was on 40% health, running away from an enemy, also on low health, who in turn was being chased by a team-mate on full health. I turned around and one-shotted the enemy as my power fist had just recharged - I thought I was helping!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: February 10, 2012, 05:43:01 pm »

If it has more than 10% hp it's not a steal.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: February 10, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »

Y'know, I don't remember noticing it or not: Does LoL have a share gold function? Or the ability to give other people items you've bought?

That was how I usually shut people up about KSing in WC3; I'd split the gold with them. Take the money and STFU dood.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: February 10, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »

I've been accused of kill stealing a lot, but seriously, you soften them up and dangle a low health individual in front of me and expect me not to kill them?

Well really I just tend to attack anything in sight regardless of stealing kills, I unintentionally score last hits when I'm trying to quickly help out all the time.

The exception to this is when I'm playing with my brother, we intentionally steal kills from each other all the time, even going so far as to use ultimate's to score last hits from across the map. But that's my brother.

Y'know, I don't remember noticing it or not: Does LoL have a share gold function? Or the ability to give other people items you've bought?

That was how I usually shut people up about KSing in WC3; I'd split the gold with them. Take the money and STFU dood.
No, no gold sharing, the last hitter gets the full bounty, but a 58.33% amount of the bounty is shared out equally among assist's. If nobody assist's though, then there's no extra gold, so actually sometimes scoring that last hit is a good thing since otherwise your team loses out on the extra gold. Although sometimes the killer needs the gold more, especially if they're a carry.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: February 10, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »

I can imagine a GP5 soraka force feeding the teams carry with gold and turning him into a god in the first 15 minutes.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #7390 on: February 10, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »

It's annoying when you play Vayne and somebody complains about kill "stealing".

I ask them "who's the carry here?" and they shut up :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: February 10, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »

No item transfer either, then. That's... eh. Maybe a little sad. The ability added a bit to some AoS maps, occasionally. Picking up a teleport item or heal potion or whatever on your way back to where'er the action was, stuff like that.

Or having a team that knew very strongly what they were doing and loading up two or three of their players with high end items before the other side could even hope to farm up the gold for it (Implied: And then roflstomping said other side). I remember the occasional fun time from that~ I'd also occasionally go 'fuggit' when I was doing particularly poorly and start donating my items and/or gold to other players. Turned a couple games around doing that.

I can imagine a GP5 soraka force feeding the teams carry with gold and turning him into a god in the first 15 minutes.
Exactly!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: February 10, 2012, 06:48:22 pm »

No one accuses anyone of kill stealing at higher levels of play, because if anyone even has the slightest idea of how the game works, they know that stealing kills is actually economically preferred. If it were possible, I'd want someone to do 99% of the damage to a target and someone else to kill him, then you'd maximize gold earned for the whole team. It's why I actually prefer it if my support steals the kills in lane, because I know I did a grand majority of the damage in the first place so we get more gold out of it. And if my support gets lots of kill gold, we get lots of wards and early oracles. Not to mention awesome team buffs like Shurelia, Aegis, Stark's, etc. All these are extremely game changing.

Come to think of it, with all my games played in US, I haven't seen any of the racist things people complain about too. I haven't seen a single Brazilian "BR?" or the like. Makes me wonder if it only plagues low levels like some sort of Elo hell pox.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: February 10, 2012, 09:17:59 pm »

No one accuses anyone of kill stealing at higher levels of play, because if anyone even has the slightest idea of how the game works, they know that stealing kills is actually economically preferred. If it were possible, I'd want someone to do 99% of the damage to a target and someone else to kill him, then you'd maximize gold earned for the whole team. It's why I actually prefer it if my support steals the kills in lane, because I know I did a grand majority of the damage in the first place so we get more gold out of it. And if my support gets lots of kill gold, we get lots of wards and early oracles. Not to mention awesome team buffs like Shurelia, Aegis, Stark's, etc. All these are extremely game changing.

Come to think of it, with all my games played in US, I haven't seen any of the racist things people complain about too. I haven't seen a single Brazilian "BR?" or the like. Makes me wonder if it only plagues low levels like some sort of Elo hell pox.

What? The amount of damage you do is irrelevant to the amount of assist gold. It's a flat amount of gold, split evenly among everyone who got an assist.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: February 10, 2012, 09:23:42 pm »

Did I say otherwise?

Maybe if I said "I'd want someone to do 50% of the damage and someone else to kill him". I just thought 99% would be easier to understand. The whole thing with kill stealing is recognition for our efforts anyway. As an ego trip to showcase how much damage we do.

Hence, I know that as an AD carry I do so much damage I, or anyone else who knows how this game works, don't need a visual confirmation of our damage ability.
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 1067