Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Games for Windows Accounts  (Read 4001 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Games for Windows Accounts
« on: May 11, 2011, 04:42:11 pm »

I recently bought Red Faction: Guerrilla, only to find that saving your progress in the PC version is dependent on having a Games for Windows Live Account.  That ticks me off.  I know Arkham Asylum was Games-Live dependent, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to make an account to save my game in that - mainly because I tried logging in with Guerrilla using the only information I would have made an account with, and it didn't work.  So I don't have an account.

...Or at least, I didn't think so.  I do have a Windows Live email account, and going to the Games for Windows website, allows me to sign in there under my email.  Since that's my old college email, with my actual name, that kinda worries me.  I'm now a little confused, and very leery.  I'm tired of making a billion, email-clogging accounts for shit all over the Internet just to play games.

So I guess my question is, for people who know this thing better than I do, isn't there some way I can just play the game paid for, without having to give Microsoft another way to track my personal information and send me shit?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Games for Windows Accounts
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:57:57 pm »

Games for Windows Live is the same as Xbox Live is the same as Windows Live is the same as...  You get the picture.
They already have your real name in that case, so what is using one more service with the same account going to do?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 05:05:32 pm »

Will, it does accept my old email, so that's a start.  However, it says I have to make a "gamer tag" in order to actually sign in to play games.  Goddammit.

Not to mention, I'd rather people not be able to learn anything about me just by looking at my tag.  How private is this stuff anyway?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:19:08 pm »

Torrent the crack?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 05:23:36 pm »

You can actually use your gmail account on it as well. Technically, you should be able to use any email that's part of the openID emails.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 05:38:22 pm »

Will, it does accept my old email, so that's a start.  However, it says I have to make a "gamer tag" in order to actually sign in to play games.  Goddammit.

Not to mention, I'd rather people not be able to learn anything about me just by looking at my tag.  How private is this stuff anyway?

it works like the xbox live account. at its core, it is a live account. never had a problem with microsoft spam or such, and the profile from the outside is not very... informative.

but I guess not all games are to be proud of. mine is tainted with A Kingdom for Keflings. if you have an account, you can go yourself on the xbox live site and search for friends at random, just to see which kind of information will became public.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:02 pm »

I think there's a little link (inside the game, in the Games for Window 'thing'), almost hidden that allows you to make an offline profile which is just like that the games that have different profiles for different people playing

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »

Nistenf got it right.

It can be a pain in the butt to find, but you can make an offline account which works perfectly fine. heck, if you made one playing Arkham Asylum, the profile may still be on your computer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:37:00 pm »

Play Offline FTW. For how deeply they hide that option, you'd think they're contractually obligated to offer it or something.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:04:59 pm »

Play Offline FTW. For how deeply they hide that option, you'd think they're contractually obligated to offer it or something.

Probably the EU made them do it.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 11:06:48 pm »

Well at least they fixed the offline account issue. Some of the early GFWL titles required initial internet connectivity even if you wanted to create an offline account, ala Steam not allowing you to use offline mode until you've logged in on at least one occasion. Major pain in the ass for me back when Half Life 2 was released as I was unable to connect to the main server for the first two days after launch, meaning I couldn't play the game that I had just dished out $89.95 for.

That said, for years I've stuck with using modified .exe or .dll injectors which bypass or remove GFWL integration altogether in games that utilize the system. The same goes for other non-MP games I purchase which try to force you to create accounts or authenticate online before you're allowed to play the single player portion of the game. There's a launcher for Red Faction : Guerrilla which disables GFWL, so you might want to look into that provided that you don't want to create an offline account.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 02:11:05 am »

well, I quite like having saved games stored on the net. It removes the hassle of keeping my computers in synch.

But I may be a very special case as I've more computer scattered around Italy.

Sure, privacy and availability of the internet connection is a concern that weights off the benefits, in the ends it depends of what you need and what you like

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 03:23:49 pm »

well, I quite like having saved games stored on the net. It removes the hassle of keeping my computers in synch.

That's one of the things I like about Steam. When my last computer died, my saved games for Valve's games didn't die with it, so I was able to continue playing HL2 on another computer (Not that I hadn't already beaten it, but it was something to do). It didn't run so great, though, and when I got to the helicopter-with-bombs battle it become unplayable, so I ended up playing Gothic II after that point instead.

As far as GFWL, I'd rather use Steam. That said, I do have a gamercard, since I play XBox 360 games. Soo... It wouldn't exactly be any kind of hassle if I had a GFWL game.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »

Alright, the offline account works fine.  Thanks for the help folks, I never would have noticed the option, hidden below the fold on the user-agreement page.  Almost like they didn't want people to know you don't have to make an online account to play a single-player game.

Anyway, Red Faction: G is awesome.  You died.  And I keep trying to pull out my Magic Grapple and Bag of Infinite Parachutes from Just Cause 2.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 03:52:54 am »

Alright, the offline account works fine.  Thanks for the help folks, I never would have noticed the option, hidden below the fold on the user-agreement page.  Almost like they didn't want people to know you don't have to make an online account to play a single-player game.

Anyway, Red Faction: G is awesome.  You died.  And I keep trying to pull out my Magic Grapple and Bag of Infinite Parachutes from Just Cause 2.

seconded.  RFG turns the fun up to 11.  Games for windows live almost shit me to the point where I gave up on it.  I honestly ended up using a cracked version after I actually brought the game to avoid windows live
If life gives you lemons, burn them.