Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dorf Bath Help! >,<  (Read 1580 times)

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorf Bath Help! >,<
« on: May 11, 2011, 02:30:19 pm »

So, I tried setting up a dorf bath, to clean my stingy dorfs, powered by a Dwarven Water Reactor (which works wonderfully!)

The big problem I'm having .. is that /some/ dorfs come out dirtier than they went in, while children/babies/pets get blown over to the floor grate as if the water is pressurized.

It /shouldn't/ be pressurized if I'm understanding everything correctly, but I'll post 2 images to help relay this.

Here's my dorf bath with Dwarven Water Reactor:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's my dorf bath .. with trapped, hungry pets:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It .. shouldn't be pressurized, right? What's going on? :P

Thanks!

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
Re: Dorf Bath Help! >,<
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:32:52 pm »

The only form of Bathes for dwarves is the wash patient command on dwarf medics for wounded dwarves.

You're probably going to drown your dwarves.

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:03 pm »

The only form of Bathes for dwarves is the wash patient command on dwarf medics for wounded dwarves.

You're probably going to drown your dwarves.

Hahaha! That would be Fun.

Although, it does correctly clean most of my dorfs. So, I think it's serving its purpose. :P

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:14 pm »

Pumps generate pressure because they output water to their level, so yeah it's pressurized. There are (off the top of my head) two more manageable solutions.

1) dig a ramped pit on the way to the dining hall, mark as pond zone and fill it to 3-4 water so there's no evaporation. Smooth the floors, and make one (preferably wounded and mostly useless) dwarf your janitor, who only has cleaning duty. He'll stay in the dining hall and keep scrubbing the floors, til eventually most of them get clean. OR just use dfcleanmap.

2) build a smoothed, engraved well next to the dining hall, they'll go clean themselves automagically and leave a much more manageable series of blood spatters on the floor, which should get cleaned fairly often. This tends to happen at my hospital wells.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 02:52:19 pm »

Pumps generate pressure because they output water to their level, so yeah it's pressurized.

It's /still/ pressurized even after that kink, though? >,< The kink should've nerfed the pressure. Although .. Babies may still .. float away at 2/7 water? >,< lol!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 03:07:41 pm »

somewhat counterintuitively, pressurized water does not push objects.  in df, pressure means that a unit of water teleports through a continuous orthogonal column of water.  objects in the middle are not affected, because the unit of water never comes near them, going straight from end to end.  you need water that is less than 7/7 spreading out over a surface to push objects or creatures, so for making a trap that uses water to push invaders into a pit it is actually helpful to put pressure reducers between the pumps and the victims. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »

You're making a huge mistake in logic here.  Pressure isn't the problem.  Pressure is when water is stacked atop more water, and an opening at the bottom is created.  This causes the water at the top to flood out through the opening much much faster than simple dispersion would allow.  What your issue is, is flow.  You have flowing water, which is in motion.  Flowing water pushes things, and will push dwarves and pets and items around.  This is because for some strange reason you've connected it to your reactor.

Dig a channel in front of your dining room or other high-traffic area.  Designate it to be a pond.  When it fills to 6/7, remove the pond.  Channel to either side of it, causing a 1x3 area of 2/7 water.  Any creature will walk through shallow water freely, and it will remove any blood or FB extract or dirt.

Also, for the record, dwarves DO bathe.  The "clean self" job will generate at times, and the dwarf will run to the nearest well or other water source and leave a puddle of various contaminants on the ground.  Also, pressurized water actually has no flow, and will not push anything.  It's only water dispersion that pushes.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:28:53 pm »

This is about the easiest dwarf washer design. Needs to be indoors. If outside, needs a roof cover.
Code: [Select]
fffff\fffffD
fffff\fffffW   MEETING ROOM?
fffff\fffffD
This is the finished product. To start, channel 1 tile, fill it with pond designation. Once done, remove the pond designation, then channel out the other two tiles. Will contain 2 2 3 water. The three will slosh around, preventing evaporation. Remember to leave the ramps intact. Dwarves can cross with no trouble.
    f=Floor, \ =channel, D= door, W= Wall
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 03:31:58 pm »

Actually not so much.  1) A pond zone only fills up to 6/7, you have you move water with pumps or gravity to get it 7/7.  2) 1/7 water evaporates, anything deeper never will.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 03:34:10 pm »

I highly recommend 2/7 water filled statue garden "bath houses" where your dwarves can both party and clean up. Another very good idea is a 2/7 water "sanguinarium" just outside your hospital's only entrance, where wounded dwarves get a quick pre-cleaning on their way to the bed. If you must keep water flowing because you hate bloody bathwater, use natural carved fortifications. These are child-safe.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 03:40:41 pm »

Also, if using running water, I highly recommend attaching a repeater so that only 2-3/7 water flows, instead of a full 7/7.  There's a bug that flowing water pushes things through fortifications and grates, and this seems most frequent at higher depths.  Floor grates are safe though, they can't be pushed down.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »

If you just want to clean them, then you don't use pressurized water at all.  You simply make the Dwarven Bathtub I put on the DF Wiki.  Use assigned levers to get them to path through it and just have a single-tile wide ditch filled with 3/7 water (use a pond zone to fill it).

I will say, however, that using pressurized water, while dangerous and inadvisable, is very dwarfy.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:13:54 pm »

The problem with 3/7 water in every tile in the bath... is that frequently, dwarves will not walk through it, citing it as dangerous terrain.  So at least one of the tiles has to be 2/7 water to be sure that dwarves can path through it.

My preference for bath locations is:

1) As part of the main entrance.  Or as part of any entrance from the caverns.  Note that these must have a retracting bridge constructed over them afterwards so that you can block them if a FB syndrome gets into the pool.

2) Entrance to a well room or on the way to the hospital.  Less critical then #1, but I still make these a priority.

3) Other major bottlenecks, if I can fit it in.

In addition, consider putting a mist generator on the level above the main trade depot or along the main entrance area.  Keep it underground to avoid freezing issues if you're in a temperate biome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:18:41 pm »

4/7 is swimming level.  3/7 can be walked through.  Dwarves do not naturally swim, and will only dodge into water or have water poured on them, but a 3/7 is safe for everyone to move through.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:42 pm »

3/7 is not always 3/7 though.

Create a 2x2 bath, fill it with a pond zone until all the tiles show 6/7.  Then enlarge it by 4 tiles so that everything reads 3/7.  Even though all 8 tiles read 3/7,  you'll find that you can't path through it until at least one of the tiles drops to 2/7.  Usually by digging out a 9th square.  That happens to me often enough in 31.18 and 31.25 that there's definitely something strange.

Which is why I say that the bath should have 2/7 in at least one tile and 2/7 or 3/7 in all the other tiles.

(My theory is that water levels are actually calculated as floating point numbers, and 3/7 can be anything from 3.0 up to 3.4.  Because all the tiles read 3/7, but the dwarves won't cross.)
Pages: [1] 2