Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: US Defense Stupidity? Why not spend on protective technologies?  (Read 3041 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: US Defense Stupidity? Why not spend on protective technologies?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 03:13:13 pm »

3.) Semi portable steel frame fortifications that could either be assembled or airdropped.

Actually, they do have something similar to that. Basically, it's a collapsible wire box, covered with mesh on the sides. When they need to use it, they just open up the box, and fill it up with dirt to form a protective fortification. Of course, it only works if you have time to set it up, but it's still useful for protection against small-arms fire in, say, a checkpoint or base. Best of all is that it's cheap to make, and easy to transport and store. If you have the time and equipment, you could easily set it up.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 03:16:54 pm »

Because of this thinking, America is ruining itself on a war with farmers. Like it has been said, better Armor mean a crapload of research and is very expensive. An rpg cost nothing, the phalanx system would cost a lot.

If you got to war, you get casualties. Point.
And if you don't want those casualties, don't send mens on the ground to occupy an hostile country.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:44:49 pm by Stany »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 03:18:40 pm »

They should give nuclear weapons to everyone so we're all constrained by Mutually Assured Destruction.

You are kidding right? Right?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 03:19:31 pm »

Either that or we all die. Both are alright.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 03:28:41 pm »

Yes, hesco barriers are military-grade lego blocks.

I'm sorry, but I simply must point out that the OP is posting from bad assumptions and ignorance.

1. We have it. (Interceptor)
2. We have it. (MRAP)
3. We have it. (Hesco)
4. We have it. (TROPHY)

Unfortunately all the defensive goodies in the world remains less effective at protecting a man from a bullet than a hole in the dirt, and big noisy bombproof trucks get stuck in the mud. It will always be better to improve weapons, training and tactics than to improve armor because for your armor to be useful you have to get shot, and if you're getting shot you fucked up somewhere.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 03:52:11 pm »

-
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:44:41 pm by Stany »

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:47 pm »

Offense is the best defense.

Georgebushism: "Blow everyone up, before everyone blows us up!"

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »

Ah, glass cannons. Gotta love 'em.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 04:18:51 pm »

4.) Anti RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade) systems. A la Aegis or phalanx fire for small group use. 
4. We have it. (TROPHY)

Ah, I knew Trophy would rear it's head eventually.  It turns out, you're both wrong.  See, Trophy was developed by the Israeli's (Raphael specifically), and by all accounts was at least ready to deploy, if not as perfectly effective as billed, back in 2006 or so.  But quite a bit of reporting at the time was the Army wasn't going to buy it, over its own recommendations, and was trying to brush Trophy under the rug, because the military was still laboring under an administration more committed to defense contractors than to combat effectiveness.  Now, for Nikov in particular, I know it's a link to msnbc.com, but if you can keep from bursting into flame, the reporting is NBC itself and all their documentation is available down the page, maudlin videos be damned.

Long story short, the Army wouldn't buy or even acknowledge the existence of Trophy for several years, insisting that only a Raytheon developed system was good enough for their money... which wouldn't even be available until this year.  As near as I can find (field deployment of experimental technology not being the sort of thing that allows much coverage), that plan has been dropped, and the Army finally started trial deployments of Trophy late last year.  Y'know, now that they barely have a use for them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 04:24:33 pm »

Explosive weapons also defy any attempt at making armor as the force would travel through the armor and hurt the wearer. These pressure waves can only be defeated by either having enough distance from it to diffuse apart or have an airtight seal all around that won't deform to it.
Actually, beating explosions is possible, there are many blast-proof vehicles. Problem is that those kinds of armor are pretty bad against penetrating weapons, so as body armor it's going to fail against a rifle and as tank armor it will fail against sabot rounds.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 04:26:09 pm »

Aqizzar outlined an extremely key thing. Even if you invent the best thing ever for war, you still have to wait for people to stop being retarded en masse and use your product.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 05:08:07 pm »

Odd how you wait to mention anything until you can play a gotcha.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 05:10:45 pm »

Odd how you wait to mention anything until you can play a gotcha.

If that was directed at me, it's because I just woke up two hours ago.  The thread and everything in it already existed.  I know you'd love to think that I sit at my computer 24/7 waiting for people to post something I can pounce on, but I do have other things to do.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 05:32:41 pm »

Fell for it again.

Carry on everyone.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4