Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Evil areas... undead... cool. Any ideas about good area side effects?  (Read 5051 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That too. But I was just thinking of options that didn't include murder.

That old bug where demonic diplomats started rampaging around could actually be put to good use for that. If you fail to deliver, Snowy McMuskox just takes it out on the looms, clothiers, and farmers' workshops instead.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

That old bug where demonic diplomats started rampaging around could actually be put to good use for that. If you fail to deliver, Snowy McMuskox just takes it out on the looms, clothiers, and farmers' workshops instead.
So it is like some kind of mega-noble?
Soaplent green is goblins!

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One possible bad side effect to a good area is that dwarves and even animals could occasionally get enchanted, blissed out perhaps, and either sit around gawking at their surroundings, or leave the fort entirely to go live in the forest or tundra or whatever.

Another possible bad aspect: the good area expects you to be good, too, and if you cause enough unnecessary pain (however that's defined) or exploit evil forces the fluffy wamblers and chipmunks and deer and unicorns and fairy rhinoceroses and Na'vi all get together and throw sieges at your fort.

Hmm, is this a suggestion thread?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:06:33 pm by loose nut »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

One possible bad side effect to a good area is that dwarves and even animals could occasionally get enchanted, blissed out perhaps, and either sit around gawking at their surroundings, or leave the fort entirely to go live in the forest or tundra or whatever.
Duuuuuuuude... get a look at this +Robe Reed Fiber Sash+, dude! It menaces with spikes of, like, valley herb...
Soaplent green is goblins!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

Another possible bad aspect: the good area expects you to be good, too, and if you cause enough unnecessary pain (however that's defined) or exploit evil forces the fluffy wamblers and chipmunks and deer and unicorns and fairy rhinoceroses and Na'vi all get together and throw sieges at your fort.

Hmm, is this a suggestion thread?
The answer, is magma. Magma. MAGMA. MMMAAAAGGGMMMAAAAAAA!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do gnomes already pilfer your booze? Never tried a good embark. :P
ANd the magical lame-ass fairies could enchant stuff for laughs.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a boost to happiness gains would be nice. Looking upon a field of downy grass and bubble bulbs (I don't care what Toady says, I prefer to think they're not ACTUALLY made of feather down and bubbles) would calm anyone down. Maybe adding more good subterranean creatures like the Gorlak would be nice as well, in addition to making said Gorlak actually DO something. I mean come on! It has [BENIGN], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] in its raws, and is know for its 'stimulating conversation' and 'helpful guidance'! There should be some kind of interaction with them possible!

Finally, good megabeasts. I remember Toady mentioning once in DFTalk that he'd like to make good and evil megabeasts. He gave the example of a good ocean having a giant rainbow shrimp. My thoughts are, why not have the good megabeasts - instead of being purely kill main burn chaotic evil - give you tasks?

Example, say your fort is in a good tundra. One day, a massive Musk Ox, composed of snow and the Northern Lights themselves, appears. It gives you the task of gathering five hundred silk cloth by next year (as to why can be explained with simple mythology standbys as 'Because he was cold'). If the task is completed, it grants you a boon. What sort of boon I can't imagine, but a good one. If you fail, it just leaves, maybe leaving behind a minor curse in the process (in this example, it would make all the alcohol in the fort freeze for a month, meaning you'd had to brew more post-haste!

This looks pretty awesome but i think it's too much straightforward. Look at it this way - you just embark. then some woolly monster finds you, caomes to you and says what he wants of you. Thats not what legendary unique megabeasts, keepers of astounding magical secrets and godlike powers do.
Instead, you should find in legends that the megabeasrs exists, find in legends what does it need from followers, get enough of it for him, build a pretty shrine,  then find a way to summon it to your fort and hope it will actually give you something instead of just saying "thanks a lot guys".

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grass in some good biomes is replaced by bubble things. They can be hues of bright blue and green and give you the impression that your grass has been utterly overrun by orks or orgres or whatever else is represented by o and O.

Oh yeah, and unicorns. And some specific vermin types, I think.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

I think a boost to happiness gains would be nice. Looking upon a field of downy grass and bubble bulbs (I don't care what Toady says, I prefer to think they're not ACTUALLY made of feather down and bubbles) would calm anyone down. Maybe adding more good subterranean creatures like the Gorlak would be nice as well, in addition to making said Gorlak actually DO something. I mean come on! It has [BENIGN], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] in its raws, and is know for its 'stimulating conversation' and 'helpful guidance'! There should be some kind of interaction with them possible!

Finally, good megabeasts. I remember Toady mentioning once in DFTalk that he'd like to make good and evil megabeasts. He gave the example of a good ocean having a giant rainbow shrimp. My thoughts are, why not have the good megabeasts - instead of being purely kill main burn chaotic evil - give you tasks?

Example, say your fort is in a good tundra. One day, a massive Musk Ox, composed of snow and the Northern Lights themselves, appears. It gives you the task of gathering five hundred silk cloth by next year (as to why can be explained with simple mythology standbys as 'Because he was cold'). If the task is completed, it grants you a boon. What sort of boon I can't imagine, but a good one. If you fail, it just leaves, maybe leaving behind a minor curse in the process (in this example, it would make all the alcohol in the fort freeze for a month, meaning you'd had to brew more post-haste!
Or it could, ya know, go megabeast on your ass?

It doesn't need to murder to go megabeast on your ass. It could meticulously shatter every bone in every dwarf's body, peel their skin off, gouge out their eyes or make them vomit blood, and keep them alive. :D
The first thing that came to mind was Quagmire. lol.
GIGGITY!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile

This looks pretty awesome but i think it's too much straightforward. Look at it this way - you just embark. then some woolly monster finds you, caomes to you and says what he wants of you. Thats not what legendary unique megabeasts, keepers of astounding magical secrets and godlike powers do.
Instead, you should find in legends that the megabeasrs exists, find in legends what does it need from followers, get enough of it for him, build a pretty shrine,  then find a way to summon it to your fort and hope it will actually give you something instead of just saying "thanks a lot guys".

That would be even better! Being able to summon Megabeasts with complex rituals!

BUT, there should be a downside to a summoning. Maybe make it have a small chance to summon a random Clown instead? Because after all, if you make a gateway to the Warp things are bound to slip through.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok several idead i came up with.

- Faster healing and possibly healing of normally unhealable wounds (like nerves).
- Animals in good arean are COMPLETELY non agressive even if the said animals are imported beak dogs.
- Hunting in a good area has a chance of springing a non lethal curse (on the hunter or the whole fort) Non deadly things like a distaste of alkohol or temporary turning the hunter into the animal he was hunting.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

Ok several idead i came up with.

- Faster healing and possibly healing of normally unhealable wounds (like nerves).
- Animals in good arean are COMPLETELY non agressive even if the said animals are imported beak dogs.
- Hunting in a good area has a chance of springing a non lethal curse (on the hunter or the whole fort) Non deadly things like a distaste of alkohol or temporary turning the hunter into the animal he was hunting.
lol. Irony.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

It has [BENIGN], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] in its raws, and is know for its 'stimulating conversation' and 'helpful guidance'! There should be some kind of interaction with them possible!

wait... you're saying they're Navi from occarina of time?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

It has [BENIGN], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] in its raws, and is know for its 'stimulating conversation' and 'helpful guidance'! There should be some kind of interaction with them possible!

wait... you're saying they're Navi from occarina of time?
Elves! They're damn cavern elves! WE NEED MORE MAGMA NOW!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile

Do gnomes already pilfer your booze? Never tried a good embark. :P
Yes. Yes, they do.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4