Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Evil areas... undead... cool. Any ideas about good area side effects?  (Read 5054 times)

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Simply put.
Evil areas will raise corpses (and their parts) as zombies and do some neat things.

No what would happen in GOOD areas?

Any ideas?

Aww hell no.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

Better then becoming an elf.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile

I think a boost to happiness gains would be nice. Looking upon a field of downy grass and bubble bulbs (I don't care what Toady says, I prefer to think they're not ACTUALLY made of feather down and bubbles) would calm anyone down. Maybe adding more good subterranean creatures like the Gorlak would be nice as well, in addition to making said Gorlak actually DO something. I mean come on! It has [BENIGN], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] in its raws, and is know for its 'stimulating conversation' and 'helpful guidance'! There should be some kind of interaction with them possible!

Finally, good megabeasts. I remember Toady mentioning once in DFTalk that he'd like to make good and evil megabeasts. He gave the example of a good ocean having a giant rainbow shrimp. My thoughts are, why not have the good megabeasts - instead of being purely kill main burn chaotic evil - give you tasks?

Example, say your fort is in a good tundra. One day, a massive Musk Ox, composed of snow and the Northern Lights themselves, appears. It gives you the task of gathering five hundred silk cloth by next year (as to why can be explained with simple mythology standbys as 'Because he was cold'). If the task is completed, it grants you a boon. What sort of boon I can't imagine, but a good one. If you fail, it just leaves, maybe leaving behind a minor curse in the process (in this example, it would make all the alcohol in the fort freeze for a month, meaning you'd had to brew more post-haste!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:55:15 pm by Mantonio »
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

As an aside, feather down is made of feather.  It uses the feather template and actually IS made of feather.  Similarly, eyeball grass uses the eye tissue template.  Bubble?  I'm not so sure.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

I think a boost to happiness gains would be nice. Looking upon a field of downy grass and bubble bulbs (I don't care what Toady says, I prefer to think they're not ACTUALLY made of feather down and bubbles) would calm anyone down. Maybe adding more good subterranean creatures like the Gorlak would be nice as well, in addition to making said Gorlak actually DO something. I mean come on! It has [BENIGN], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_SPEAK] in its raws, and is know for its 'stimulating conversation' and 'helpful guidance'! There should be some kind of interaction with them possible!

Finally, good megabeasts. I remember Toady mentioning once in DFTalk that he'd like to make good and evil megabeasts. He gave the example of a good ocean having a giant rainbow shrimp. My thoughts are, why not have the good megabeasts - instead of being purely kill main burn chaotic evil - give you tasks?

Example, say your fort is in a good tundra. One day, a massive Musk Ox, composed of snow and the Northern Lights themselves, appears. It gives you the task of gathering five hundred silk cloth by next year (as to why can be explained with simple mythology standbys as 'Because he was cold'). If the task is completed, it grants you a boon. What sort of boon I can't imagine, but a good one. If you fail, it just leaves, maybe leaving behind a minor curse in the process (in this example, it would make all the alcohol in the fort freeze for a month, meaning you'd had to brew more post-haste!
Or it could, ya know, go megabeast on your ass?

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile

That too. But I was just thinking of options that didn't include murder.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could be a good way of learning secrets.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

Could be a good way of learning secrets.
Irony Bonus! +5 points!

Anyways, evil areas could get necromancy from their area. But the beasts would have outrageous demands (5000 steel swords by next year!), but have great rewards in the ways of war.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But then it would include either magma or plump helmets right?  This is dwarf fortress, there is only murder, magma, and mushrooms.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile

Bah. Good areas. Only "good" thing about it are sun berries. Make me want to puke rainbows, seriously.

SICKENINGLY CUTE fluffy wamblers eating at your food, the insufferable pixies and fairies, nontamable unicorns killing your dwarves, and the good grasses made them even worse, no interesting animals...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sometimes, I do feel like Good areas are more troublesome than Evil areas. Instead of the honest intention to just kill all your dwarves, the critters get up to 'Mischief' in annoying ways. That includes deciding to kill you because you got too close, i.e. Unicorns that normally run away on sight.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

He gave the example of a good ocean having a giant rainbow shrimp.
I read that as mantis shrimp. That would be a crazy megabeast. Once you use magic to do away with that pesky cube-square law, a giant mantis shrimp is basically the ultimate punching machine. (Normal mantis shrimps already have their punch as the second fastest limb strike of any animal [while UNDERWATER], and punch so hard each punch hit twice [once for the 'fist' strike, once for water re-pressurization].)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It doesn't need to murder to go megabeast on your ass. It could meticulously shatter every bone in every dwarf's body, peel their skin off, gouge out their eyes or make them vomit blood, and keep them alive. :D

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

It doesn't need to murder to go megabeast on your ass. It could meticulously shatter every bone in every dwarf's body, peel their skin off, gouge out their eyes or make them vomit blood, and keep them alive. :D
The first thing that came to mind was Quagmire. lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4