Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

New Channel Layout soon. Would appreciate input on when ppl would like to see DF vids

Mon
Tues
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat
Sun
Dont care

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Ult1mara Does Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews  (Read 48108 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Ult1mara Does Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2011, 03:10:23 pm »

Is it terribly bad form to request a review of one's own mod?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2011, 04:14:53 pm »

Is it terribly bad form to request a review of one's own mod?

Not at all it is pretty good I think. It's a nice way to see how others think your mod is ^_^ And maybe in return it can be a good way to find out what and how to improve the mod. Howcome u have a mod u wish me to review?
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2011, 04:33:03 pm »

Time for my Final Mod Review ..... for now Untill I get more requests

***ONGOING REVIEW OF FORTRESS DEFENSE MOD BY DARKFLAGRANCE***

INITIAL REVIEW AND THOUGHTS

OK so here is my final review, for now. I know it has been a while since I was last active but other things had to be sorted first :(.

So this review is all about the Fortress Defense mod, this mod adds to the vanilla game by introducing a lot of new civilizations, most of which are evil/they dont like you and want to kill u. In turn this game is lot harder than the vanilla game, with an ambush occuring normally within the first year, and sometimes even a siege.

At first I wasnt convinced that this mod would be all that great, since there are other mods like this e.g. genesis mod, but are a LOT harder. However Fortress Defense seems to introduce the highest amount of civilizations compared to other mods, correct me if I am wrong. So that in itself makes the mod well worth playing. And to top it off, it is one of the most popular mods out there, second to Genesis mod, I think I havent checked the forums in a while sorry.

What else do I have to say for this mod? Hmmmmm maybe the modder him/herself. Darkflagrance is pretty cool. They kept checking this thread to make sure the links were working correctly and tried to advice me on what links were and were not working, as well as what they personally thought of each mod. Which I really enjoy as I like other ppls feedback on mods as well. Dark is also incredibly active in the forums and is constantly chatting on their Fortress Defence mod thread.

So all in all. This mod is well worth trying out. It may not be my favourite mod. However it is a very good mod and very challenging, especially at the start

Ratings
Originality - 7/10 - I think this may be one of the older mods out there? If it wasnt for the fact that it came out ages ago then the score would be lower. But as it stands it must have been one of the first mods to add this many new civilizations to the Vanilla Dwarf Fortress, I dont think it does anything else? Not sure however
Bugs - N/A - Not tested mod enough to say how many bugs there are
Modders Involvement - 9/10 - I dont really go onto the Fortress Defense Thread all that much but I do know that Dark does constanstly talk on that thread, and even comments on this thread - via mail - sometimes regarding his mod. This means that I highly rate them as a very "involved" modder when it comes to their Mod
Modders Perceived Kindness - 8/10 - I would say Dark seems to be pretty kind, they will go out of their way to check other forum threads, and even say to ppl what they think is wrong with their thread e.g. My links were broken for a while or took you to the wrong place so Dark pointed it out ... Thank You Darkflagrance
Integration of Ideas - 8/10 - I think the main point of the FD mod is to make it a lot more "difficult" and to have a lot more sieges etc. This is definately achieved considering after your first year you will get about 1 siege per season and about 3 sieges every 3 seasons? Not too sure how it actually works but thats a close estimation?
Difficulty - N/A - I do not know how hard this mod is as of yet, there hasnt been much talk on the Thread about this subject either
Overall - 8/10 - Yes this is not the most original game out there. However it does present you with a huge challenge of constant battles and sieges and then the decision of whether or not to go out and fight them for good gear, or to help traders, or to just hide inside and build up. And I do believe it was one of the first mods to do this?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:25:02 am by Ult1mara »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2011, 04:49:57 pm »

Not at all it is pretty good I think. It's a nice way to see how others think your mod is ^_^ And maybe in return it can be a good way to find out what and how to improve the mod. Howcome u have a mod u wish me to review?
Great, thanks. My black-powder firearms mod is still in its early stages and I could use some detailed feedback. An overview of the mod and a download link can be found here.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2011, 04:51:20 pm »

Great, thanks. My black-powder firearms mod is still in its early stages and I could use some detailed feedback. An overview of the mod and a download link can be found here.

Cool will get to the mod once I can and have the time. So dont expect it soon. As I have 14 other mods to do LPs for atm ^_^. But hopefully it will be soon :P

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2011, 05:06:17 pm »

Time for my Next review ^_^

***ONGOING REVIEW OF DWARVEN HIVE BY TALANIC***

INITIAL REVIEW AND THOUGHTS

Ok here is a new mod, as of when I first done the review. I did say that the Fortress Defence mod was my last. But trully there wont be a "last" mod if ppl keep asking me to do mod reviews.

So let's talk about the mod Dwarven Hive. Personally I love the idea behind this mod, this is due to me being a sucker for castes and this mod is all about castes. I think when I originally done this review there were about 8-10 castes and each had it's own unique advantages and disadvantages, e.g. Drones were incredibly fast, but didnt learn much quickly and couldnt fight.

So to me this mod has the most potential in terms of the caste system. And may even turn out to be one of the most difficult if u never get decent caste dwarves. e.g. U get 7 drones on embark and decide to embark on a haunted biome. However there were not any real immediate plans to introduce any new civilizations, workshops and items. Which does reduce it's score however it is still incredibly well thought out and integrated into the game. It is still in it's early stages remember.

What of Talanic? Well talanic seems like a really nice person. I was constantly talking to them on their thread and other thread as they seemed to have helped out in a couple other mods before this one. They are also very active and will always answer any question posed to them.

All in all I think this mod has a great future and may turn out to be one of the best, if well managed and popularity increases pretty quickly. And with a very cool modder what can go wrong? lol Well worth a try and please help talanic out with any bugs u may find and any suggestions u have

Ratings
Originality - 9/10 - Yes this mod doesnt really add anything to the game, yet. However I rate it so high on the originality section as it is the ONLY mod to have soooo many different castes for the "playable" race. The Playable race is called the Dwarven Hive Civilization and the consist of many many many different castes and they have become increasingly insectoid.
Bugs - N/A - Not tested mod enough to say how many bugs there are
Modders Involvement - 9/10 - Talanic is VERY involved in this mod. And pretty involved in pretty much every other thread on the DF forums. Talanic is a very dedicated person and I highly rate them as a future great modder ^_^
Modders Perceived Kindness - 9/10 - Talanic is very kind in my opinion. They are consistently talking on this thread, their own thread and others and try to be pretty kind each time they chat. I dont think I have seen Talanic be "evil" yet. But then again I havent looked everywhere lol
Integration of Ideas - 5/10 - The mod is still in beta stage so the whole idea of a "dwarven hive" is not in full flow as of yet. So this means that the ideas are still not yet fully integrated as of yet, but they shall be, hopefully as I am rally looking forward to this mod getting somewhere
Difficulty - N/A - I do not know how hard this mod is as of yet, there hasnt been much talk on the Thread about this subject either
Overall - 7/10 - The only reason I am rating this low is because it is not fully finished yet. I LOVE the idea of the mod and really cant wait till it is fully developed. But just now it isnt the greatest but it is pretty complicated and challenginh ^_^
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:34:29 am by Ult1mara »

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 07:47:29 pm »

UPDATE ON MOD VIDEOS

So the results of the 4/5 most favoured Mods are in.

And you all voted for:

1. Genesis Mod
2. Corrosion Mod
3. Fortress Defense
4. Suika Fortress
5. Civilization Forge

Thank You to everyone who voted on the Poll. I will try to start concentrating on these mods once I have finished a fort of each of the 14 mods I have atm. With another 3 incoming.

New Poll Will be up soonish

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 07:16:04 am »

NEW MOD REVIEWS TO COME

1. Black Powder Firearms
2. S.L.A.D.E
3. Intensifying Mod
4. Blacksmith/Train in Adventure Mode, previously known as Battlecraft
5. Gnome Mod

These mods will be first looked once I get time and finish off the other ones first
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:41:46 pm by Ult1mara »

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 11:06:13 pm »

New poll up for those who want to say what kind of Reviews You all think I should do ^_^

Agon MD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 11:52:01 pm »

Hi, I'd love to see a review of my mod! This is the thread if you're interested.  Thanks!
Love,

Dr. Agon

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 06:23:36 am »

Hi, I'd love to see a review of my mod! This is the thread if you're interested.  Thanks!

I will do once I get the time to do all the new mods that I have to do ... Io will add ur mod to the list ^_^

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 10:35:20 am »

But as time passed and I came around to do my initial ratings review for this Knight had all but "forgotten", or at least seemed to have, about this mod.
I think that is cleared up by now, but some more comments can't hurt. With regards to the mods, what may also be problematic is my updating philosophy. I tend to gather more and more new stuff and tweaks before I upload a new version. Other modders may have more of a philosophy to update with fewer additions or tweaks, and thus more often. Coupled with the "vicious circle of non-posting" I posted about earlier, that doesn't help the visibility of my mods much.

However once I asked Knight if there were any new updates on both of their mods, Zelda and Dire Forged, Knight replied on the Dire Forged Thread first, which to me means they are more interested in that mod than this one.
Actually, I replied to the Zelda mod first, and you only asked about the Direforged mod after that. But, to be completely honest - Direforged is an original work, while the Zelda mod is a derivative work, and as much as I love Zelda, its mythos and ideas are in no shape or form mine. The mythos and ideas behind Direforged are to a large extend mine, if viewed, or perhaps examined, through the lens that Dwarf Fortress provides. As such, I probably am more interested in Direforged than Zelda, though I'm not sure "interested" is the correct word. Perhaps "have more of a stake in it", but that's a phrase, not a word. :P
In any case, both of the mods are important to me, and I will update them for the foreseeable future, even if I may not be visible much (though I'll certainly try to be more active in my mod threads.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 09:00:38 am »

Posting here, by the request of Ult1mar, that the development of Dwarf Fortress Advanced continues again. I have been busy with university stuff at first, with nearly 20h days, and then I went to extended vacation and didn't took my laptop(s) with me. But I'm back again!
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 09:24:02 am »

Posting here, by the request of Ult1mar, that the development of Dwarf Fortress Advanced continues again. I have been busy with university stuff at first, with nearly 20h days, and then I went to extended vacation and didn't took my laptop(s) with me. But I'm back again!

Nice to see you are back as DFA was pretty decent ^_^

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 09:24:59 am »

But as time passed and I came around to do my initial ratings review for this Knight had all but "forgotten", or at least seemed to have, about this mod.
I think that is cleared up by now, but some more comments can't hurt. With regards to the mods, what may also be problematic is my updating philosophy. I tend to gather more and more new stuff and tweaks before I upload a new version. Other modders may have more of a philosophy to update with fewer additions or tweaks, and thus more often. Coupled with the "vicious circle of non-posting" I posted about earlier, that doesn't help the visibility of my mods much.

However once I asked Knight if there were any new updates on both of their mods, Zelda and Dire Forged, Knight replied on the Dire Forged Thread first, which to me means they are more interested in that mod than this one.
Actually, I replied to the Zelda mod first, and you only asked about the Direforged mod after that. But, to be completely honest - Direforged is an original work, while the Zelda mod is a derivative work, and as much as I love Zelda, its mythos and ideas are in no shape or form mine. The mythos and ideas behind Direforged are to a large extend mine, if viewed, or perhaps examined, through the lens that Dwarf Fortress provides. As such, I probably am more interested in Direforged than Zelda, though I'm not sure "interested" is the correct word. Perhaps "have more of a stake in it", but that's a phrase, not a word. :P
In any case, both of the mods are important to me, and I will update them for the foreseeable future, even if I may not be visible much (though I'll certainly try to be more active in my mod threads.

I can understand y you would want to concentrate more on Direforged. I would also concentrate more on summit that is MY work ^_^
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15