Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

New Channel Layout soon. Would appreciate input on when ppl would like to see DF vids

Mon
Tues
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat
Sun
Dont care

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Ult1mara Does Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews  (Read 48104 times)

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ult1mara's Let's Plays and reviews
Re: Ult1mara Does Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2012, 08:34:18 am »

Could you do a review on mine as well? Regeneration Link is in my sig. And it's in the mods list that is stickied

I will do a preview on ur mod for now. I really need to get to work with my previews :P
The local scottish drunken dwarf
Dwarf Fortress Mod Reviews
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84405.0

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2012, 06:09:31 pm »

Sorry to everyone who is waiting for a review of ur own mods. I will get around to doing them. Need to read up on each mod and the forums of each mod

So thank you to everyone who is patient enough to wait. I will also be making a new post specificly for Mod Reviews, these will be reviews based solely on opinions I have gained from talking with the modders and seeing the thread of the respective mod.

But thanks again everyone and please be a little more patient I should hopefully have the new Previews ready in a few weeks.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2012, 06:17:13 pm »

Take your time :)

I would like to add mine to the list as well, but from the last posts I read you have a lot to do already. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2012, 06:20:42 pm »

Take your time :)

I would like to add mine to the list as well, but from the last posts I read you have a lot to do already. ;)

I really dont mind doing more. I like learning and reading at times ^_^. I dont really read books so at least this is a nice break from just purely playing games and working, o and having to care for my gf - who is pregnant :P.

But thanks meph, ur mod is now added to the list of previews. And eventually will be LPd lol

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2012, 06:50:39 pm »

Here is the First look at my Preview section of this Thread. Can u tell me what u all think?

MOD PREVIEWS

Corrosion Mod By IT 000

The Corrosion MOd created by IT 000 Seems to offer a lot and looks very inticing with it's zombie hordes and post-apocalyptic world.

The reason I am reviewing this mod to begin with was because of these main points .... I LOVE ZOMBIES lol :P

Anyways let's get to the point, my initial review - based solely on my own opinions based off of what I have seen on the forums. The mod looks incredibly fun but difficult to play, may even be a challenge for the toughest of DF vets out there.

The Mod is based in an alternate world where humans tried to create a pill that cured aging, however there where dire consequences, the people who took the pill turned into monsters - mostly known as zombies. Now the survivers have to fend for themselves and fight of these hordes of monsters, that seem to never end and keep coming to kill every non-infested human.

The Thread itself is very active, not so much as of late however, but there seems to be a lot of activity and there always seems to be someone there to help if you are needing some. IT has, in the past, been incredibly active and does try to make sure he keeps the mod patched and removing bugs etc. Also he does try to update the game so the graphics look a little better, he created his own graphics pack for this mod.

PREVIEW RATINGS

Thread Activity                    - 8/10 - The thread is very active, maybe not as active as mods like genesis mod or fortress defense mod but still
Modders Percieved Kindness   - 8/10 - IT seems to be incredibly kind and will try to answer any questions asked of him and he also tries to get rid of every single bug he can
Update Time Periods             - 7/10 - There are a lot of updates for this mod, whether or not that is a good thing is a personal opinion, but IT does seem to try to keep the mod updated as often as possible, unless he goes AWOL lol
[Lore                                 - 8/10 - There is a specific lore for this mod which makes it a lot more "fun" to play as it immerses u more into the actual mod.
Originality                           - 8/10 - There are not many mods out there based specificaly on a zombie apocyplypse ^_^. Also not many modders make their own graphics pack for their mod.
Overal                                - 8/10 - Overal this mod looks incredible, there are a lot of things in this mod that look fun to use and seperate it from the others mods. Also the difficulty is very inticing

My Little Pony Mod By Nidokoenig

To start I do NOT care for My Little Pony sorry to all those who do.

Now that that is out of the way. Let's talk about the this mod, well what can I say other than it is a mod based on the cartoon series "My Little Pony" or MLP by some.

So far from what I have seen on the threads about this mod it looks incredibly active and popular. Which in turn means there will be a lot of help for people wanting to know more about the mod and such.

The Modder Nidokoenig seems pretty kind as they are always active on the thread and they did reply back to me when I asked them if I could LP and Review the mod and within a day Nido had already replied saying yes ^_^. This I always find pretty good in a modder.

PREVIEW RATINGS

Thread Activity                     - 10/10 - This mod always seems to be in the top 2 pages of the Mods Forums. Which makes it incredibly active
Modders Percieved Kindness    - 8/10 - From What I know Nido is pretty kind but I havent reakkt had much time to converse with Nido
Update Time Periods              - N/A - I am unsure as to how often this mod is updated. There isnt really much of an opportunity to know on the threads
[Lore                                  - N/A - I have no idea about the lore of the MLP so I cant make a guess at the lore of this mod   
Originality                            - 8/10 - I do not know of another Mod that is based of a cartoon series as of yet. There are lots of mods based of games etc however. But the mod does include a lot of things that are like other mods e.g. including new weapons, creatures etc.
Overal                                - 7/10 - Since I cannot tell a few things from the thread like the update rate etc. So I cant make a full assesment of the mods thread sorry Nido.

Suika Fortress Mod By Totaku

A Little Bit More Mod By janglur

MechaGenesis Mod By Mechanixm

Dig Deeper GOLD Mod By The13thRonin

Intensifying Mod By rephikul

Regeneration Mod By Hugo_The_Dwarf

Masterwork Mod By Meph

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:03:05 pm by Ult1mara »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2012, 06:57:05 pm »

Looks good. But the Preview Rating font is bigger then the title of the mod. I would try to seperate the different mods more, it will get very full when you've done all of them. For exmaple use yellow only for titles  and use some spacers, horizontal lines or similar...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2012, 07:05:43 pm »

You could put the grades/grade description text in the same "tab" position for clarity, like this:

Thread Activity                    - 8/10 - blah blah
Modders Percieved Kindness   - 8/10 - yadda yadda
Update Time Periods             - 7/10 - rabble rabble

Instead of this:

Thread Activity       - 8/10 - blah blah
Update Time Periods      - 7/10 - rabble rabble

BTW, could I have a clear picture of "Zarhorn's" description from the pony fort, if it isn't too much trouble?
Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2012, 07:56:51 pm »

You could put the grades/grade description text in the same "tab" position for clarity, like this:

Thread Activity                    - 8/10 - blah blah
Update Time Periods             - 7/10 - rabble rabble

Instead of this:

Thread Activity       - 8/10 - blah blah
Update Time Periods      - 7/10 - rabble rabble

BTW, could I have a clear picture of "Zarhorn's" description from the pony fort, if it isn't too much trouble?

Thank you I will try and make it more like the way u showed above but I still aint all that great at this html style of forum. And as I just said I would if I could but I cant seem to get pictures up here :(

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:40 pm »

A new update on the first look of the post that contains the Previews of each mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2012, 08:03:58 pm »

You cant add pictures ? You have to upload them first, at a different host. For example I use picasa and it works.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »

Also another thing I will be changing the poll for now. This new poll will be on how the new layout of this thread should be

1. Keep it as is - Have 1 post per mod reviews and previews included
2. A seperate post for previews and reviews
3. A seperate post for previews and reviews and rating for each as well

the 3rd option is more or less the same as the 2nd option BUT instead I will be putting my Preview rating in a separate post as well as my review ratings in a separate post. This way I think it will be easier to quickly compare mods.

Anyways please vote on this as I will be changing the thread in a couple weeks to watever ppl vote

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »

You cant add pictures ? You have to upload them first, at a different host. For example I use picasa and it works.

ahhhh ok thank you very much meph ^_^

Zarhon

• Bay Watcher
  • Bizzarehitect
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2012, 10:08:15 am »

Best way to get screens from DF to forum: 

- Open the window you want to screenshot
- Press Printscreen (Current full screen capture), or Alt+Printscreen (Captures currently active window only)  on your keyboard to get the picture
- Open paint, paste ( Ctrl+v ) the picture, edit picture as needed, save it
- Go to an image uploading site like imgur to upload the picture on the internet
- When it's done uploading you get various links to the picture
- Spam forum  8)

What exactly is the difference from previews and reviews? Preview are impressions/observations before playing, review are post-play observations?

Cupcakes: Because not everything is viable for home decor.

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2012, 11:53:26 am »

Exactly Zarhorn. and I now have an ability to get the descrtiptions onto here ^_^

Will post a link below for ppl that want to quickly see each Ponies Description

Ult1mara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »

The suika Fortress mod preview is below ^_^

The Suika Fortress Mod is created by a modder named Totaku based of the game series Touhou. This mod has been in development for about 2 years or so. A lot has happened within this time. The mod was originaly designed as a graphics mod + a few changes e.g. civilization name changes and that is it.

Now however the mod is much more than it used to be. Now there are multiple civilizations, and not just renamed from the original DF civs. There are also a lot of new creatures, gear and plants etc, similar to other mods too.

Something that makes this different however is that it is based off of a game, which so far no other mod I have done a preview for has done to date - even though I know there are a lot more out there. So it is unique in that sense well to these previews ^_^.

Totaku is incredibly kind and does really care about this mod, constantly looking at it and developing it. Totaku will also advise me in how to say certain things - as in pronounciation - and will also provide a detailed background on the game and storylines if needed.

The thread itself is very popular and has a VERY loyal fanbase, but the same goes for any incredibly popular game - although some less popular games have an Incredibly loyal fanbase e.g. Dwarf Fortress :P, Touhou, Shin Megami Tensei games etc. Not the most popular of games but REALLY LOYAL fans.

PREVIEW RATINGS

Thread Activity - 5/10 - For the fact that this thread has been around for about 2 years and has less than 300 posts means it isnt as active as other threads, however if u post u tend to get a reply quickly, which is good.
Modders Percieved Kindness - 9/10 - From what I have heard from Totaku they seem like a very kind person. They keep giving me lots of information about the mod and game series. Also Totaku replies to most of my questions relatively quickly.
Update Time Periods - 4/10 - Again in 2 years there have been something like 7 updates - to me this is a good thing as u can actually do a lot of forts within a single save without having to update too often.
Lore - 8/10 - Totaku has tried very hard to actually keep the lore of the original game series linked to the Dwarf Fortress world, it helps when Suika is EXACTLY like Urist ^_^, but some things cant be put into the DF universe untill after the next patch.
Originality - 7/10 - The only reason this is a highish score is due to the fact that I have not done a preview on any other mod involving a game, otherwise the score would be down at 5/1- instead. Sorry Totaku
Overal - 7/10 - The mod is pretty similar to every other mod out there e.g. it provides new civilizations etc. However I guess the mod is a LOT more popular if u really enjoy the touhou games.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15