Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Pick a place!  (Read 2460 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Pick a place!
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:58:21 am »

Someone, it appears, was granted a wish. This is what the wished for:
"Everyone on earth must choose the country they want to be a citizen of. They are then given a random social status in that country."

You naturally get a while to do research. Once you've chosen, you become a full-fledged citizen of that country, no matter what you were before. You might be a janitor, a farmer, a soldier, an untouchable, a vagrant, a CEO, a doctor, a celebrity, a prince, or a president, and everything in between. You get all the perks and detriments of that social class- even your health changes. In effect, you become just as if you had grown up into that life as yourself- though your personality, memory, and identity don't change. Your ethnicity might change, if it's tied to social status.

One last thing: This is a weighted probability; if there are ten peasants in a nation and one lord, you are ten times as likely to become a peasant.

What nation do you choose?

I myself would look carefully at the northern European nations. They have remarkable equality and social programs. I am worried that I might end up as a member of the somewhat segregated and disenfranchised minority communities, but I do not know enough to know if that's a serious issue.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Pick a place!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 02:45:45 am »

Sweden! Or maybe Finland!

It's either free speech or Metal...

Which one to choose... I'd just flip a coin.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:49:52 am »

Dude, the two are right next to each other.
You can get ALL of the Finnish metal in Sweden with the greatest of ease.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 02:53:07 am »

Canada.
I would either become a wine expert, Scott Pilgrim, or an oil tycoon. All three seem good.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 03:01:45 am »

Sweden! Or maybe Finland!

It's either free speech or Metal...

Which one to choose... I'd just flip a coin.

Also Norway. I believe in hedging my bets, and the poorest in those countries are better off than most. Great social and medical programs for the poor, or you can just hunt caribou and whatever. They're also all pretty economically stable. And I like the cold.

Canada.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy here. Of course, while our poverty problems are not the worst on the map, you can end up living a pretty shitty life out here too.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 03:10:09 am »

Dude, the two are right next to each other.
You can get ALL of the Finnish metal in Sweden with the greatest of ease.
Sweden it is!

AOD AWAAAAAYYY!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 03:13:30 am »

*Looks up some figures*
The hell? How did Australia get 7th for GDP per capita? Must be because we have Dick Smith and a very small population to even it out. Get rid of him and we drop back down to 103.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:12:42 am »

America! Fuck yeah!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 04:14:12 am »

I'm happy here in NZ, thank you.
くコ:彡

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 05:57:43 am »

America... also Israel, but I already live there.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 06:04:05 am »

America! Fuck yeah!
But only if you are really anal about the term 'citizen' and don't count illegal immigrants.

Even then not too bad of a choice, and choosing any other country would require me living there to get a good idea of what it's like to live there. To chose based off of the media would just be foolhardy.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 06:06:15 am »

America sounds good on paper, but the risk of being a redneck named 'Buba', although small, is just too much.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:11:46 am »

I like being a financially-stable anglophone, but if I had to pick a country, it probably wouldn't be America for just that reason.  Yeah, upper-lower-middle-class isn't exactly winning the lottery in America, but it's not as sure a draw as in, say, England or Canada or Australia.  So it'd probably be Australia, I've never met an Australian (online, anyway) that I didn't like.  I mean, I am Texan, so I'm most of the way there anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 06:27:44 am »

While I am well-informed of Scandinavia's many benevolent qualities, there's still that outside chance that I'd end up as a Sami. Eating reindeer while I'm up to my asshole in snow year-round just does not work for me.

Probably go with Liechtenstein or Luxembourg. High GDP per capita, excellent standard of living, tiny population (so there's a concommitantly higher chance of winding up incarnating as someone important), generally pleasant weather. Yeah, I think I could hack that.

Although it mentioned that our memory wouldn't change...which would pose linguistic problems. I'd really want to bone up on my German first.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 06:41:18 am »

I'm not really sure, probably some Northern country, some place that doesn't go above 75 in the summer.  The Summers here in 'sconsin are absolute torture for me. :(
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: [1] 2 3 4