Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1193379 times)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3615 on: January 04, 2012, 01:48:17 pm »

No, raining blood will not collect in murky pools. It would require proper handling of multiple (possibly procedurally generated) liquids and their interactions. Not coming any time soon.
About naming, this blood not neccesairly should be named  just "blood", but should have its own distinct source (as coming from evil rainfall, not spilled from living being).

BTW it would be nice to fix for real contamination spread and weathering/rot issues. Because I can imagine how FPS would react on blood rain right now.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: January 04, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »

Buggy mist that explodes wagons and melts badgers?
Rodent man blood and dandruff snow falling from the skies?

I think I'll check the weather forecast, next time I go outside with my adventurer.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: January 04, 2012, 03:38:43 pm »

Is the regional mist omnipresent or does it show up periodically, like rain?

I believe that Toady could just make the "blood rain" specific to a region. The liquid would show up as "<biome name> blood/ichor/goo rain", and have the randomly generated properties of that region. It could take the properties from one of the creatures in the raws though.

The blood doesn't have to be treated as a liquid; the biome can just rain water contaminated with blood. This is more realistic, since blood is water with other components floating around in it. If you had oil, then it would be reasonable to make that a fluid though; same with molten metals.

I believe that whatever is done about the weather formations, it should be possible to manually designate an area for cleaning.

Hopefully the mist doesn't affect FPS much.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: January 04, 2012, 03:46:40 pm »

That most likely is configurable.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: January 04, 2012, 03:53:10 pm »

Is it going to be possible to embark on top of sites in the new release?

Are walls and tunnels going to be included in the next release as well as roads? By this I mean the worldgen walls that are an option in the entity preferences as of DF2011.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: January 04, 2012, 04:13:27 pm »

Is it going to be possible to embark on top of sites in the new release?

Last word is that it's still disabled:

Quote from: Aquillion
With this...  would it be possible to easily add an init option or worldgen parameter to re-enable dwarves embarking on top of other people's sites?  I'm curious whether this would make the game respond 'properly' now if dwarves try to embark on a dark fortress or somesuch, making for something interesting.

Actually, would it be possible to allow the dwarves to embark on 'hostile' sites in general in the main game, as long as there's no friendly population there?  It seems like "deal with the undead, then settle in their tower" could be a fun (and challenging) way to start a fortress.

Adding an init option wouldn't make the game respond any better than it was when it was broken, so I think I'm misunderstanding something.  There's something fundamentally silly about allowing those embarks, but I don't have a problem with the init option in principle.  But it takes time to make sure that everybody is properly hostile in that artificial environment, so I haven't been eager to fix it up.  That said, we've been toying with the idea of allowing some embarks on thoroughly bad places.  We'll see what happens.

Are walls and tunnels going to be included in the next release as well as roads? By this I mean the worldgen walls that are an option in the entity preferences as of DF2011.

You're referring to the WORLD_CONSTRUCTION entity token?  WALL was a placeholder when implemented, but since we have walled settlements in the current version, you can probably test for yourself whether WALL now controls that behavior.  Tunnels are still out.

Also, please use limegreen for your posts as stated in the OP.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:17:49 pm by Footkerchief »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: January 04, 2012, 04:35:17 pm »

You're referring to the WORLD_CONSTRUCTION entity token?  WALL was a placeholder when implemented, but since we have walled settlements in the current version, you can probably test for yourself whether WALL now controls that behavior.
I'm guessing that it doesn't. Just like roads do connect different sites and tunnels used to do so, I'm assuming that those walls were supposed to exist beyond the boundaries of sites - more on the scale of the Great Wall of China than that of city walls. Thus world construction.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: January 04, 2012, 05:04:13 pm »

I loved the idea of tunnels - I used to imagine that in the future they would be used as starting points for entire underground cities without access to the outside.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: January 04, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »

I loved the idea of tunnels - I used to imagine that in the future they would be used as starting points for entire underground cities without access to the outside.

It's still planned:
Quote from: DF Talk 3
Rainseeker:   Okay, XSI asks: [8]'Dwarven strongholds seem to have tunnels between them, would it be possible to eventually make one of those in fortress mode; probably useful to get migrants and dwarf caravans while being sieged?'
Toady:   I think there's a dev item on that, I don't know if it was called 'deep outposts' or something like that, and I think it originally sprang forth from a suggestion someone posted so there's probably a few posts on it as well. We're definitely for that; the issues that arise are the same issues that always arise when you have off-site sites. How do you connect it up? How does digging commence off map? And the same thing would go to like building an aboveground wall, or aboveground roads and that kind of thing; how do you build that site when your view is restricted to a single fortress? But I think those questions are just a matter of making a good decision about it; I don't think that they're super hard and we're definitely planning to do that, especially because those tunnels are there. The fact that the tunnels are there is one of those things that kind of demands satisfaction in terms of actually being able to do it yourself or getting rid of them. So it's just a matter of ... Right now you can't designate digging on the edge of your map, and if you can designate 'I want to dig there, I want to dig a tunnel' then that's got to be some kind of special requirement or you have to have say five or six miners leave the map and do that digging for you and it's going to tie into a number of things. It's going to tie into having little - like when you become a capital - having outposts outside of your map and sending armies off the map, having those larger populations that we talked about last time; all of it ties in again to that kind of thing so I imagine those questions will start to be answered around that time.

It's also come up more recently in the context of hill dwarves:

Quote from: Mephansteras
I've been wondering what your idea of a Hill Dwarf settlement is. Do you have a specific idea in mind right now for what those settlements will look like, or is that something you haven't really gotten too far into thinking about yet? The dwarven ability to combine above and below ground aspects seems like it lends itself to a lot of variation.

Yeah, and hill dwarf is just a name, since the settlements external to your fort will also possibly include deep groups you've sent to colonize the underground layers which could be massively cave-adapted and somewhat alien, in addition to others along the mountains rather than in lower-lying lands.  We don't really have specific images in mind though.  For the low-lying ones, we don't want it to end up human, but we don't want it to exactly be hobbity either, since that would be sort of a hack job.  Perhaps most of their farming would still be underground, as odd and disrespectful of the sun as that is.  I'm not sure what the main restrictions are...  that it can't be more fortressy than your fort, I suppose, although it could be more wally.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3624 on: January 04, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

I think that hill dwarves really need offsite locations to be in to work properly, so you could just go out there and build the rural dwarf homes, then go back to the fort for the real action.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: January 04, 2012, 10:42:57 pm »

Toady, if there are vampires, and there are places in the world where it freely rains blood (human, elven or dwarven), wouldn't a vampire find more sense in going to such a place and living happily ever after rather than dangerously hunting other people while they sleep ?

Hmmm, I don't know if this has been asked yet, but do vampires necessarily require fresh blood? Of a sentient being? Because merchants have barrels and barrels of various types of blood, but I don't know a single use for any of it. Maybe I could, in future, stock up on it for the sake of my potential night-dwelling population?

I believe it's the actual drinking-warm-blood-from-a-sleeping-person thing that quenches the bloodthirstiness, not just ingestion of blood per se.

Yes, alright, but that seems cheap. Very cheap. I know for the time being it will be limited to drinking from sleeping people. My real question is : Is it intended for the vampire to only feed on living, fresh, same specie creature, even in the hypothetical version 1 ? In short, what is the final plan ?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: January 04, 2012, 10:44:48 pm »

Toady, if there are vampires, and there are places in the world where it freely rains blood (human, elven or dwarven), wouldn't a vampire find more sense in going to such a place and living happily ever after rather than dangerously hunting other people while they sleep ?

Hmmm, I don't know if this has been asked yet, but do vampires necessarily require fresh blood? Of a sentient being? Because merchants have barrels and barrels of various types of blood, but I don't know a single use for any of it. Maybe I could, in future, stock up on it for the sake of my potential night-dwelling population?

I believe it's the actual drinking-warm-blood-from-a-sleeping-person thing that quenches the bloodthirstiness, not just ingestion of blood per se.

Yes, alright, but that seems cheap. Very cheap. I know for the time being it will be limited to drinking from sleeping people. My real question is : Is it intended for the vampire to only feed on living, fresh, same specie creature, even in the hypothetical version 1 ? In short, what is the final plan ?

Well, the final plan, I believe, is to have these creatures be formed procedurally from World Generation gaining a certain set abilities, weakness and requirements.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: January 04, 2012, 11:18:18 pm »

That most likely is configurable.

I think the [IE_INTERMITTENT:WEEKLY] token that appears in regional zombies may been a way of making the mist happen periodically since it seems like the mist is using the interaction system.

It also seems like the blood rain might be an interaction too being a part of the material emissions. This might mean that you can specify the rain's item type... (and since material breath seemed to be the creature version of material emissions) it maybe possible to make it rain some very interesting things... add in syndromes and transformations and you can potentially have a 50 year rain that turns all the dwarves hit by it into cats...

Or speaking of cats... you might be able to literally make it rain... cats and dogs... (JK, I'm pretty sure material emissions means just materials not full out items or creatures.)

Also on the subject of materials, some FBs can be made of odd materials... I wonder if it is possible for it to rain some of those, like shadow.

Will the regional emission that causes the blood rain still be able to do solid materials or was that removed after the "dandruff snow" thing?

Edit:
That variety of weather only takes up a slowly moving area about 40 tiles across. The troubling rain is harder to avoid but can only have mild poisonous effects.

This keeps getting more and more interesting.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:23:31 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: January 04, 2012, 11:21:24 pm »

Quote from: devlog
The fisherdwarf was got caught up in an eerie gloom and turned into a cursed bloodless husk that attacked his old buddies and pets. That variety of weather only takes up a slowly moving area about 40 tiles across. The troubling rain is harder to avoid but can only have mild poisonous effects. Of course, these things happen exclusively in bad, bad places, so you can avoid this sort of problem by just not embarking in the hell-on-earth spots. Carrying on with other miscellaneous issues next.
[/quote

O.o

That's... truly terrifying. Nice to see the variety going in, so Terrifying doesn't just mean "evil but more so."

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: January 05, 2012, 12:10:28 am »

Quote from: devlog
The fisherdwarf was got caught up in an eerie gloom and turned into a cursed bloodless husk that attacked his old buddies and pets. That variety of weather only takes up a slowly moving area about 40 tiles across. The troubling rain is harder to avoid but can only have mild poisonous effects. Of course, these things happen exclusively in bad, bad places, so you can avoid this sort of problem by just not embarking in the hell-on-earth spots. Carrying on with other miscellaneous issues next.

O.o

That's... truly terrifying. Nice to see the variety going in, so Terrifying doesn't just mean "evil but more so."
Where did you see it? I'm opening devlog right now, and the top message I see is the one with the rodent man blood.

Also, I'll delete this post if it's a problem on my side, but I seriously don't get how you can see a devlog and I can't. Hope I'm not being stupid.

Edit: Nevermind, it's fine now. I've refreshed it many time, including opening a new window. My attempts took about 3.5 minutes. Then I wrote this post, which took another 3 minutes, all the while refreshing the devlog tab I had in my window. Then, 5 seconds before Wirevix posted, it worked. Weird. So I'm asking, does anyone has any clue what's going on?If anybody's interested, I had (and still have) one cession of Firefox running, and no I did not restart my computer. :o :o :o

Thanks for help, through.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:24:31 am by Anatoli »
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 298