Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1195159 times)

diegokilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3105 on: November 29, 2011, 04:07:32 pm »

I just wanted to say thanks for all the pictures lately! It's really nice to see what you are working on, and what that work looks like :)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: November 29, 2011, 04:18:40 pm »

Are the animals in the villages/pastures owned by particular people or are they considered a part of the village entity - who gets angered when livestock is killed by an adventurer?

My bet is that whole civilization gets angered. :) As with every other crime in adventure mode.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: November 29, 2011, 07:12:48 pm »

Townspeople in current and past versions of Adventure Mode already use roads and little dirt paths to travel around town.  I'm guessing that the same code will be used for the new towns, although not sure what the implementation is.  I doubt it's pathfinding weight.  Maybe it does A* on the abstracted road map -- that's been proposed for Fort Mode, but the big problem there is figuring out which abstract nodes your start/end points are closest to.  Adv Mode towns probably have a relatively small number of destinations that can easily be grouped by the nearest road intersection/terminus.

Thanks, Footkerchief.

What do you mean about "all terrain in general"?

I was thinking along the lines of Shinotsa's post...

Hmm, perhaps rougher terrain should slow down people walking on it? Then it would actually be more efficient for dwarves to travel on a nice road or a smoothed floor rather than have to wade through chin high grass or struggle over rocks and divets to get places. Is there any system like this already in place? Would a system like this affect adventure mode NPCs, or do they pathfind different from dwarves or does the same pathfinding weight argument above nullify it for them?

eg. rocky/forested tiles have high travel cost, paved roads super low cost and all shades of grey in between.  This should lead to all entities using the roads naturally, but I expect the processor cost would be quite high, especially for long-distance path-finding, so the system you described that's already in place sounds good.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: November 29, 2011, 07:35:04 pm »

Hey, look, houses have furniture now.  Anyone know what that symbol that looks like pi means (it means goblin tower on the world map).  Also, the people of that town seem to have designated large areas of their houses as "table rooms" that do absolutely nothing but contain tables.  Are the table rooms intended behavior?

Also, Shinotsa, I just want to point out that real life roads don't magically make people faster.  They're more effective because they are kept at an even elevation, make it harder to get lost, are clear of obstacles, prevent plants from growing, and don't turn to mud in rain.  Most of these things are already represented in game or could be without too much difficulty.  Making people walk faster on roads for no reason is an abstraction DF doesn't really need.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3109 on: November 29, 2011, 08:02:53 pm »

It is definitely easier to walk on roads, though. I'd say that compared to thick grass or uneven forest-floor terrain, there is a noticeable increase in speed.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: November 29, 2011, 08:39:27 pm »

Hey, look, houses have furniture now.  Anyone know what that symbol that looks like pi means (it means goblin tower on the world map).  Also, the people of that town seem to have designated large areas of their houses as "table rooms" that do absolutely nothing but contain tables.  Are the table rooms intended behavior?

Also, Shinotsa, I just want to point out that real life roads don't magically make people faster.  They're more effective because they are kept at an even elevation, make it harder to get lost, are clear of obstacles, prevent plants from growing, and don't turn to mud in rain.  Most of these things are already represented in game or could be without too much difficulty.  Making people walk faster on roads for no reason is an abstraction DF doesn't really need.

The pi symbol represents cabinets.

Also, I agree with that second paragraph. An abstraction that the game does need is getting lost, which we're already starting with.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: November 29, 2011, 09:43:37 pm »

Yes. I would assume these are the storage buildings (warehouses) that Toady has mentioned before. It seems goods that aren't placed in houses and shops end up in storage.

What I'm working on now is dividing up all of the objects that were produced at the town (that weren't placed in houses) among the shops. It selects the type of shop based on the overall town specialization information that is built up during world gen. This leaves some excess foreign items that would normally be associated to caravans/etc./etc. Those will be placed in general shops and warehouses for the time being (and the market when I get to that in a bit). The same should happen with extra food.
Toady One Found my first tower-cap bed in a human's bedroom. It had an image of the foundation of a dwarven mountain hall in giant toad bone. An iron scourge made by the goblins made it to the back of the warehouse as well -- it commemorated a skinless demon becoming the law-giver of the goblin civilization. I also put in some extra precautions and tweaks so that dwarves form markets properly and are more survivable in world gen. Kobolds as well.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3112 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:55 pm »

From the dev log:

"... stopped pigs from thinking that they are selling things at the market ..."

I see that the new version has not failed to bring forth its share of hilarious bugs.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: November 29, 2011, 10:58:43 pm »

Not really a question for Toady, but I hope that Dwarven farming gets some revisions soon, because it's super strange seeing these authentically gigantic fields and pastures around NPC settlements and then founding a fort and being able to feed all 200 of your dwarves on a few 5x5 plots.
I came to post here for the first time in ages to say just this. I love the scale of the new fields for the farms in these recent maps. It would be cool if we needed a similar scale in our fields to feed the dwarfs in fortress mode. Space limitations for small embark sites wouldn't be a problem, as there are so many z-levels to work with.

The timescale will probably be a bigger problem than space limitations.  There's not enough time in the year for Fortress Mode farmers to walk around such a big field.

It's good, because we will then need more dwarves dedicated to farming. Which is realistic.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: November 29, 2011, 11:07:15 pm »

There are some pigs and turkeys among the market stalls... I'm not sure why yet!
... stopped pigs from thinking that they are selling things at the market...

So when he said "among the stalls" he meant selling at the stalls, not just wondering around the stalls.

LMAO!  :D
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: November 29, 2011, 11:09:15 pm »

There are some pigs and turkeys among the market stalls... I'm not sure why yet!
... stopped pigs from thinking that they are selling things at the market...

So when he said "among the stalls" he meant selling at the stalls, not just wondering around the stalls.

LMAO!  :D

Another mystery solved by the great Toady One!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: November 30, 2011, 01:30:58 am »

"Excuse me, I need to buy prepared badger intestine, prepared mosquito brain, and elephant tripe."
"OINK OINK OINK OINK OINK"

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3117 on: November 30, 2011, 01:53:37 am »

"And some bacon"
"SQUEEEEEEE"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: November 30, 2011, 03:04:29 am »

Now that we have both trolls and bridges represented pretty well, will there be trolls under some of the bridges? Maybe not in this update, but will traditional fairytale notions like that get a nod eventually?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: November 30, 2011, 03:49:55 am »

What's the average population of a city? Each new family that settles in one determined city will build a house or we will end with filthy childrens living in the sewers?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 298