Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1195756 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1275 on: June 30, 2011, 04:55:02 am »

I was assuming "9936 miles squared" meant "(9936 miles) squared", not "9936 (miles squared)" which is more accurately described as "9936 square miles".
Google seems to think that 9936 miles squared and 9936 square miles mean the same thing:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=9936+square+miles+minus+9936+miles+squared
EDIT: And this clarifies things: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/57209.html : "That is, the problem is not that "12 meters squared" MEANS the area of a 12-meter square, but that it can be taken either way, and is thus ambiguous."
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:01:04 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 30, 2011, 05:03:28 am »

Did we ever hear what Toady's mysterious month-end project was? Is that still a thing?

When did he mention that? I am intrigued...
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: June 30, 2011, 11:59:33 am »

Did we ever hear what Toady's mysterious month-end project was? Is that still a thing?

When did he mention that? I am intrigued...

The last time it was mentioned was halloween of 2010, when he said he was skipping it in order to get that release out (it was the one that included ghosts and night creatures that he wanted out for halloween.) It used to be that Toady would take the last week of every month to take a breather, do some Bay12 housekeeping (art rewards, legalese and stuff) and he'd also work on the mysterious month-end project. The reason it sticks out in my memory is that we wouldn't get an update during that, so this thread would devolve into wild mass guessing about the nature of the project.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 30, 2011, 05:19:55 pm »

Well it IS the end of the month, and theres not likely to be a release today sooooo....

I bet it's a Kitten simulator.  You play as a kitten with the ultimate goal of scratching your owner while he's doing podcasts.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: June 30, 2011, 05:56:33 pm »

Well it IS the end of the month, and theres not likely to be a release today sooooo....

I bet it's a Kitten simulator.  You play as a kitten with the ultimate goal of scratching your owner while he's doing podcasts.

Oh there we go- we haven't heard anything about it because it has been finished. Little did we know the latest DF Talks were actually Kitten Simulator Beta testing.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 30, 2011, 06:44:37 pm »

modding in playable kitten adventurer(dwarf) mode im sure has been done already.

so is markets replacing trade depots in dwarf mode? ill not green it because im sure someone other than toady knows the answer

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: June 30, 2011, 07:02:30 pm »

so is markets replacing trade depots in dwarf mode? ill not green it because im sure someone other than toady knows the answer

I'm pretty sure that the markets are only for the new cities. I imagine they will be in the centre of the city, with all the stalls and (hopefully, if Toady has time) livestock. I am looking forward to wandering through the markets with a bag full of coins, purchasing things to use as improvised weapons. Battle Chair anyone? :))   

Dwarf Mode trade depots are untouched as far as I know. 
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: June 30, 2011, 09:13:58 pm »

From what I understand, Dwarf Mode Depots are the rough equivalent of Worldgen/Adventure Mode Fairs, which will be put in once caravans start moving around during play. The idea is that the caravan will enter the market and there will be a trading extravaganza analogous to a caravan arriving at a Dwarf Fort. Depots might get changed a little when that happens, but it isn't slated for this release.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1283 on: July 01, 2011, 03:19:57 am »

When we get rid of caravan schedulle in favor of more worldgenny approach, you might get multiple caravans from different civilizations at once. (should be FUN if they are in war...), so you might need to set up multiple depots in order to be able to give each caravan offloading place.

That would naturally give in to "marketplace feel" of your trading district. Especially if you take your time to design warehouses, offices for your Trader(s)...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 01, 2011, 05:16:53 am »

When we get rid of caravan schedulle in favor of more worldgenny approach, you might get multiple caravans from different civilizations at once. (should be FUN if they are in war...), so you might need to set up multiple depots in order to be able to give each caravan offloading place.

That would naturally give in to "marketplace feel" of your trading district. Especially if you take your time to design warehouses, offices for your Trader(s)...

People don't do that already? I've seen a few maps built like that, warehouses everywhere and offices  :o

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:27 am »

Right now different caravans go to the same depot and you just select the one you want to deal with from a list.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1286 on: July 01, 2011, 01:20:37 pm »

Are the "stalker" ghosts that toady talked about going to be in this release? And if not, have they been pushed to the next release or are they going to be on hold till "later" .

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 01, 2011, 02:25:42 pm »

Are the "stalker" ghosts that toady talked about going to be in this release? And if not, have they been pushed to the next release or are they going to be on hold till "later" .
We don't know. They are not among the already coded night creatures, but it seems likely that Toady will go back to night creatures after markets are done to add in some more night time evilness. As such, they could easily come in before the release still. He also has indicated that the first versions of stalkers, the animated furniture, the frankensteinian creatures, and the intelligent undead (which are those night creatures still missing with the best chances to get into the release) should not take the same amount of time as the first versions of necromancers, mummies, weres, and vampires did. If any of those night creatures end up being cut from the release after all, however, I would expect them to be on hold for a while, until they can go in with one or more of the three remaining night creature types.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 01, 2011, 03:08:12 pm »

Stalker ghosts are a component of non-underground city Fun at night. I believe they were also supposed to be tied to haunted houses, but Toady was a little unclear on exactly what kind of ghosts were going to live there.

With all the content we're guaranteed to get already (sewers, catacombs, burial tombs, necromancer towers), he might call it good. Or it might be a "trivial" couple day's work to set up their procedurally generated vengeful ghostiness, conditions and interactions for when they show up in town, and he might decide to delay just a little bit longer for completion's sake.

Being that he managed to crank out vampires, werewolves and necromancers to a workable state in less than a week's time, on their face Vengeful Ghosts sound easier to create. (Because they probably aren't going to require so much additional stuff like syndromes, moon phases and population/body storage.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 01, 2011, 03:09:40 pm »

The reason he stopped before Stalker Ghosts is because Haunted locations are not really up and he wants that finished first.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 298