Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1196592 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1080 on: June 19, 2011, 12:04:32 am »

Are you a user of tilesets? Because I am and I have almost no clue what I'm looking at within those shops. Is it kind of unreadable to ASCII players atm? Perhaps it's just the scope and the lack of context, but yeah, I'm a lil overwhelmed by the SSs. The Z-levels really throw me off.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 19, 2011, 12:26:30 am »

I use ASCII and can read it fine. The buildings with clutter are shops; you can tell by the signs outside. I'm not sure what the deal is with them all having a few z-levels of empty space above the ground floor.

Also, some of those houses have saplings growing inside. Hilarious. On the whole, the cities look great though.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 19, 2011, 01:27:16 am »

Quote from: zwei
So, how are wounds and missing limbs handled when you transform to something else?

If my left front hoof gets chopped off while i am transnfromed to weregoat, will i miss left hand when i get turned back to humanoid?
...[snip]
It negates wounds now, but I'm considering stockpiling them so that your old wounds reappear when you revert.  The difficult part is moving the wounds over to the new form, and I'm not doing that.  All medical devices pop out or come off when you transform.

Personally, I hope Toady leaves were creatures as negating wounds, rather than having them reappear. For one thing, that is the way it seems to work in the movies and popular culture. (I'm not sure about the mythology.) For another, it makes things simpler.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 19, 2011, 01:40:11 am »

So from the screenies it looks like every building currently only has one floor and REALLY HIGH ceilings.
One would kinda expect shops to be on the ground floor and living quarters on the floor above that. Also, the ratio of shops to regular houses seems pretty crazy right now. The shrine/temple in the third town looked pretty darn dinky squished down like that.

I like the fact that i recognized the sign for furniture stores without having to be told.  :D
I didn't see anything that could be the warehouses Toady talked about in earlier devlog posts though.

Also, some of those houses have saplings growing inside. Hilarious.
Actually those are probably rat weed or some other food plant.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:42:54 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 19, 2011, 01:59:16 am »

and REALLY HIGH ceilings

Oddly enough this wasn't that uncommon for houses to have at least three stories worth of head room.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: June 19, 2011, 02:08:47 am »

Before air conditioning, having a high cieling was the best way to keep the inside of a building cool. Thus, it was common to have it as high as the person building it was willing to expend the labor and amterials.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 19, 2011, 02:25:10 am »

1) Are those lower case "e"s human children?

2) Are the occasional floor grates ("#") in the paved roads for covering up potholes?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: June 19, 2011, 02:55:47 am »

uhm, I was expecting more monumental temples, akin to how castles are handled. I can't see them in the city, nor in the schematics

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 19, 2011, 02:57:05 am »

1) Are those lower case "e"s human children?

2) Are the occasional floor grates ("#") in the paved roads for covering up potholes?

1) They are elves.

2) Most likely.

uhm, I was expecting more monumental temples, akin to how castles are handled. I can't see them in the city, nor in the schematics

In the first city I noticed two temples.

Akett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 19, 2011, 02:58:50 am »

I think the # are less potholes and more sewer grates.

David Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 19, 2011, 03:36:52 am »

This is the most amazing thing I saw for a long time.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1091 on: June 19, 2011, 03:43:58 am »

Yeah, those are sewer grates that connect down into the sewer system, with a shaft when necessary (you can see the shafts in some of the pictures, like in the black part near the top of Town 1, el 119, with corresponding grates at el 120).

It is place the temples on small lots now (it is even screwing up and not picking the best ones for some reason), but when I handle market squares I might give the temples some more room as well.  We'll see.  They aren't used by people for ceremonies or anything yet, so the floorspace isn't that important yet, but it should be changed.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 19, 2011, 03:46:16 am »

I noticed a house without a wall on the eastern part of the first city. I am missing workshops though, and I would like that some buildings had proper floors.

Otherwise, great work! I am now more anxious than before.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 19, 2011, 03:54:50 am »

I see some mushrooms growing in some tennements. logical, but disturbing nonetheless. :)

Loving the metropolitan feel of the place. :D Lots of elves and dwarves in this human town, haven't spotted any kobold yet, but assume those hide themselves in the sewers? No goblins either...town at war or are goblins just to antisocial to be allowed into town?

About the varied grate colours: I understand production of stuff is varied in material. Yet, wouldn't this be a most typical item a mayor would mandate? identical grates of a single type of metal/stone.
Buildings built out of different materials is more likely...I think Tarn mentioned this in a talk though.

I did not see any stairs/hatches leading down into the sewrs/crypts/cellars. Nor food stockpiles in any inns.

also : bottomright town1 119 : this building is filled with tables, those people in the backroom are going to starve unless they can destroy/move the furnitre around.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:04:14 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 19, 2011, 04:23:09 am »

Nor food stockpiles in any inns.
Well, there are no inns yet, so there wouldn't be any food stockpiles in them anyway. I didn't see any food shops though, now that you mention it. Also, two shop types are currently always empty, one of them with the general store/cloth sign, and the other with the crown(?) sign, so I guess there's still some things to be done. And just noticed that the shop chests aren't placed for the shopkeepers to keep their money - or is that in cabinets now?

also : bottomright town1 119 : this building is filled with tables, those people in the backroom are going to starve unless they can destroy/move the furnitre around.
Tables don't block movement. Shopping would be pretty hard if they did the way things work right now.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 298