Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1196534 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1050 on: June 16, 2011, 02:23:32 pm »

I don't think so. The only reason they don't use metal is because they lack the means or will for metalsmithing. Metal and rock are those "more ethical" products the elves mention they like when you trade with them. It's bone and wood they find unethical, their wood is supposedly better because they don't overexploit the forest or only use dead wood or something. Come to think or it, it's a bit weirs they don't use the bones of naturally dead or the ones they kill - if they have to eat their foes to not waste the meat, how fome they think it's okay to waste the bones? They make perfect arrows, clubs, tools and bowls.
Love, scriver~

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 16, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »

Always annoyed me that NPCs tend to be invulnerable.
Oh no, NPCs are definately not invulnerable. you just cant target them with your army.
A well connected lever on the other hand...
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: June 16, 2011, 02:30:15 pm »

I think he meant in other games, unlike DF.
Love, scriver~

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: June 16, 2011, 02:34:33 pm »

i don't know, i think i want to keep seeing elves with wooden weapons, especially if magically enhanced to cut through steel. i'd like to see their immortal lives influencing their skill levels, it'd be cool if the elves ambushing your fortress were legendary rangers with magical wooden weapons

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 16, 2011, 06:24:36 pm »

Always annoyed me that NPCs tend to be invulnerable.
Oh no, NPCs are definately not invulnerable. you just cant target them with your army.
You can do that now, actually.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 16, 2011, 06:35:00 pm »

I just did this when the elves refused to trade.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 17, 2011, 02:26:27 am »

Are you planning to give nest boxes a 'Collect goods / Don't collect goods' option, like beehives?

Apologies if this has been asked before.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: June 17, 2011, 05:25:37 am »

I don't think so. The only reason they don't use metal is because they lack the means or will for metalsmithing. Metal and rock are those "more ethical" products the elves mention they like when you trade with them. It's bone and wood they find unethical, their wood is supposedly better because they don't overexploit the forest or only use dead wood or something. Come to think or it, it's a bit weirs they don't use the bones of naturally dead or the ones they kill - if they have to eat their foes to not waste the meat, how fome they think it's okay to waste the bones? They make perfect arrows, clubs, tools and bowls.

It is very possible they see bone tools as a sort of trophy... either that or bones are their "Too far" point where you start to devour someone's soul (though that would make the Hyena an evil creature to the elves). Either that or bones are considered too macabre.

I mean Dwarves use almost every single part of the animal and the only parts they don't are ones they don't know a use for (and to admit, I question if even the Native Americans could use some of the stuff the Dwarven Surgical Butchers get... I mean could the native americans even cut out a creatures entire nerve system if they tried? Heck could we even do it today?)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1058 on: June 17, 2011, 10:04:57 pm »

Pictures upcoming?  AAWWW YEEAH
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 18, 2011, 01:03:34 am »

I just read "Weaponsmith and Cave Crocodile", a poem by Urist McShakeSpear. It's a creative spin on the old cursed frog prince fairytale. And it got me thinking about discussions in this thread about ToadyOne's work on curses.

Will curses eventually be developed in a way that Adventurers will be able to cure an intelligent creature cursed into an animal form with something as mundane and simple as a kiss or hug?

Similarly, will there be a chance for dwarves in Fortress Mode to encounter a talking cursed creature and the player be given the option to lead their dwarves to find a cure for it... with cured being either joining the fort or giving them some sort of reward?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: June 18, 2011, 09:12:34 am »

I just read "Weaponsmith and Cave Crocodile", a poem by Urist McShakeSpear. It's a creative spin on the old cursed frog prince fairytale. And it got me thinking about discussions in this thread about ToadyOne's work on curses.

Will curses eventually be developed in a way that Adventurers will be able to cure an intelligent creature cursed into an animal form with something as mundane and simple as a kiss or hug?

Similarly, will there be a chance for dwarves in Fortress Mode to encounter a talking cursed creature and the player be given the option to lead their dwarves to find a cure for it... with cured being either joining the fort or giving them some sort of reward?

This!

Also, somehting similar might be usable for the classic "usually harmless but powerful creature gone berserk due to a thorn in it's paw and needs to be cured with kindness and bravery rather than violence" plot.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: June 18, 2011, 10:32:07 am »

I mean could the native americans even cut out a creatures entire nerve system if they tried? Heck could we even do it today?)

Short answer? Yes. The major nerves are actually quite thick (surprisingly so) and the minor nerves... well, you can't taste them.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: June 18, 2011, 04:54:25 pm »

know when you chew on a chicken leg, and you get that stretchy chewy white long bit?

thats not a tendon. Thats a big ass nerve bundle.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: June 18, 2011, 08:08:11 pm »

Wow, the new pictures are amazing. I'll admit, the first tile-level shots were very jarring for me, since the towns fit perfectly into the surrounding terrain... and the original town maps made them look like they existed within a vacuum. I noticed that the portion of @'s vs U's was pretty even-ish; what's the distinction here? Am I remembering wrong and U is used for Elves?

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: June 18, 2011, 08:09:54 pm »

Those look fantastic!

Also... Mmm, microcline! Best stone ever.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 298