Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1193645 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #465 on: May 25, 2011, 04:45:24 pm »

With the addition of more were-animals, how will the aboveground animalmen be handled? We already have capybara men running around... would they be replaced by the were-byras? Or be handled as as separate case? Maybe they're groups of related were-critters that are trying to carve out some primitive form of society in the middle of the savage wilderness away from society... Just brainstorming. I always felt like the above-world Tigermen and whatnot needed some more fleshing out, and maybe forming simple settlements like the subterranean races do.

But a werewolf is different to a wolfman.  As a weretiger is to a tigerman.  It does beg the question, what is a weretigerman?

I think DF's approach to lycans will be the mithological one - lycans will change forms from their humanoid to animal forms (and back from animal to humanoid), but not to the form in-between. It is just a guess, though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 25, 2011, 04:50:39 pm »

Game mechanics-wise, I think it would be easier to make creatures change from humanoid to humanoid, not from humanoid to quadruped. So I'd guess we're more likely to see "wolfman" werewolves rather than the traditional full body switchers.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #467 on: May 25, 2011, 04:55:33 pm »

I think DF's approach to lycans will be the mithological one - lycans will change forms from their humanoid to animal forms (and back from animal to humanoid), but not to the form in-between. It is just a guess, though.

Or possibly, to make both camps happy the in-between is in fact and in-between were at first your a human then night falls (full moon obviously) and you begin to transform into a were-wolf (wolfman) and you get to do all that comes with that but by the time the moon has set you are a full normal wolf until the moon rises again when you turn back rapidly into a human, and have to wander back through the woods naked back to town.  The other option to make it truly a curse is that you stay in wolf form until the next full moon, but that just seems crazy without a time skip feature.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 25, 2011, 04:56:18 pm »

there was a thread about that, it seems there is not a real different mechanic between bipedal, quadrupeds  and n-duple creatures; just a formula on legs lost that determines when a creature can't stand anymore

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 25, 2011, 05:00:42 pm »

werewolwes are not always weremen(?)and weremen can never be humans.
And now a question,will the werewolves be in entire animal form,or part animal/part man?
Assuming that the transformation happens only during full moon?
Or will the creature always be in one friggin cursed form?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 05:54:22 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 25, 2011, 05:01:51 pm »

With the addition of more were-animals, how will the aboveground animalmen be handled? We already have capybara men running around... would they be replaced by the were-byras? Or be handled as as separate case? Maybe they're groups of related were-critters that are trying to carve out some primitive form of society in the middle of the savage wilderness away from society... Just brainstorming. I always felt like the above-world Tigermen and whatnot needed some more fleshing out, and maybe forming simple settlements like the subterranean races do.

But a werewolf is different to a wolfman.  As a weretiger is to a tigerman.  It does beg the question, what is a weretigerman?

Mostly tiger, all angry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15:15 pm »

A Weretigerman is essentially a Human and Tigerman.

There is no real indication that the animalmen are even related to human beings.

Essentially a Tiger is to a Tigerman is what an Ape would be to a human being. Related but not the same.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 25, 2011, 05:29:02 pm »

There is no real indication that the animalmen are even related to human beings.

Essentially a Tiger is to a Tigerman is what an Ape would be to a human being. Related but not the same.

Except that an ape is vaguely humanoid while a tiger is not.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 25, 2011, 05:54:42 pm »

surface animalmen are clearly defined in df, they are animals "blessed" into humanoidness by the spirit of the forest. i'm guessing wereanimals are humanoids cursed into animalness by the evil spirits of evil regions

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 25, 2011, 05:56:42 pm »

surface animalmen are clearly defined in df, they are animals "blessed" into humanoidness by the spirit of the forest. i'm guessing wereanimals are humanoids cursed into animalness by the evil spirits of evil regions

but what about caveanimalpeople? like underground antmen?

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 25, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »

yes,but are the ALWAYS animals? or only during full moon or sth?
I am a Goober.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 25, 2011, 06:42:32 pm »

Except that an ape is vaguely humanoid while a tiger is not.

I know... but I have a hard time drawing a good comparison. It is still a fair comparison.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 25, 2011, 06:43:52 pm »

Where? I've never seen that before.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 25, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

What would count as profaning a temple, anyway?

killing the priests?

arranging the priests bodies in satanic symbols?

what about the symbol of the temple?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 25, 2011, 09:59:04 pm »

Well, satanic symbols don't mean anything in DF so that's sort of neutral. Arranging them in the symbol of the temple itself, though? That sounds like all sorts of wrong to me. Like murdering a catholic priest and crucifying his body.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 298