Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1193339 times)

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3630 on: January 05, 2012, 12:14:46 am »

Try a Ctrl + F5 to clear your cache when you refresh; I'm seeing the new devlog as well, so maybe your cache is stuck.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: January 05, 2012, 12:19:57 am »

Try a Ctrl + F5 to clear your cache when you refresh; I'm seeing the new devlog as well, so maybe your cache is stuck.

If you're on Firefox (like me,) Ctrl + Shift + R is hard refresh, which accomplishes the same thing. I regularly hard refresh right before I go to sleep, since that seems to be when Toady posts.

On topic, I really hope those cursed husk making mists work on wild animal populations as well.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: January 05, 2012, 12:24:37 am »

Actually Ctrl + F5 is what I always use for Firefox; I've no idea if it does the same in other web browsers or not.  F5 and Ctrl + R are the same thing, I just like holding in fewer keyboard buttons.

To keep this even slightly relevant to the topic, roving clouds of death-mist are one of the things that I consider absolutely terrifying.  Possibly because I live in a mountains-and-valleys area where we get heavy fog pretty regularly during certain times of the year, and I have to drive home through it.  It's one of those slow but unstoppable (well, unless you have a big enough fan, but that's getting silly...) horrors that you can do nothing about, just wait and hope you come out the other side.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: January 05, 2012, 12:31:13 am »

Will the regional emission that causes the blood rain still be able to do solid materials or was that removed after the "dandruff snow" thing?

99% sure that solid materials will still be possible.  Material phase is respected everywhere else, and it'd be silly if a material that's solid at ambient temperature was forced into the liquid phase for emission purposes.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:41 am »

On topic:

Love the mists and the rains.

1). How do the dwarves react to those things? Do the get bad negative emotions and try to run away?

2). This is more of a suggestion, but is there any connections between creatures like demons, megabeasts, and mists? How are they affected by it?

3). Do mists happen underground in caverns? That, would be really, really, terrifying. On the same note, bloody rivers (Nile)?

Yeah, I meant caverns. Don't want to post 3 pages after just to report a mistake, but for anyone wondering, I meant caverns.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:49:16 pm by Anatoli »

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:06 am »

Because some of us will embark in "hell-on-earth" sites, will there be an announcement when zombifying/face-melting/vomit-inducing weather conditions start?

Will foreign civs hold us responsible if their merchants happen to get zombified/face-melted/pukey by what our insurance agent would call an "act of Armok"?
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: January 05, 2012, 01:10:15 am »

I wonder if the "evil weather" respects the weather simulation so that there is more nasty stuff happening in wet places. Also if footkerchief is right i could see rather nasty "hail" knocking out dwarfes if the material in question has a appropriate density. Temperature sensitive materials could also be rather dangerous, i trust hope toady didnt code any fog/dust that self-ignites when summer rolls around - on the other hand its toady, hope the best and prepare for far worse then imagine-able. Inhaling poisons could have strange effects when they are liquid or frozen at ambient but gaseous at room/body temperature.

Well how to weaponize this stuff? I guess you could get some "spaters" on things like clothing or wooden spears for weapons and spike-traps. hmmm maybe you can "evaporate" a liquid or solid poison via a burning object/magma or with a object of sufficient temperature (think zink+magma gas-chamber). Fogs could be condensed/solified by using grates or bars made from Nether-cap. Sadly you cant collect spaters like spiderwebs (damn!).

Personally i thought procedural materials come up with FB/Titan/nightcreature content to get some interresting organ-materials for the meatier kinds - say magma-prof skin, the runner up would have been trees and plants for the outworldy places. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:12:55 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: January 05, 2012, 01:25:01 am »

will mist sink down mineshafts if they are uncovered?
will different mists/weathers hit the same region, or will it be specific to each region?
If mist is specific to region? and how will it act in regards to moving across a multi-biome map. Will it just disappear as it crosses the boundary for it's biome?
For some reason I see evil fogs sort of floating around all the evil biomes at random. For example acid flesh melting fog floats across the haunted plains into the calm forest, has a slight fortress-only overlap with forest and then floats into the neighbooring terrifying desert while the desert has it's own evil fog. So you could get two evil fogs coming from each direction closeing in on your fortress like a etheral vice, burning and corrupting all it touches.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:38:48 am by Monkeyfacedprickleback »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: January 05, 2012, 02:10:39 am »

3). Do mists happen underground in caves? That, would be really, really, terrifying. On the same note, bloody rivers (Nile)

The devlog indicates that (at least in vanilla) they only happen in evil regions, which doesn't include caves.

Will foreign civs hold us responsible if their merchants happen to get zombified/face-melted/pukey by what our insurance agent would call an "act of Armok"?

Yeah, the algorithm has always just checked for whether they safely return, not for a particular cause of death.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: January 05, 2012, 02:30:49 am »

Do dwarves try to avoid at least the worst of the stuff (like turning into a bloodless husk) or will he have to either manually block those areas out somehow or accept resulting losses?

How many of these new region effects can happen in the same location as other region effects? How many varieties can we get at once? Does the regional undead thing function differently than material emissions for these purposes?

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: January 05, 2012, 02:40:55 am »

3). Do mists happen underground in caves? That, would be really, really, terrifying. On the same note, bloody rivers (Nile)

The devlog indicates that (at least in vanilla) they only happen in evil regions, which doesn't include caves.

Really? Because I had to fight off a skeleton giant cave swallow and a mix of zombie and skeletrogglodytes in my current fort.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: January 05, 2012, 03:01:48 am »

Really? Because I had to fight off a skeleton giant cave swallow and a mix of zombie and skeletrogglodytes in my current fort.
Those are caverns. Caves are hollows and tunnels just below the surface, which you can generally enter through a few surface entrances.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: January 05, 2012, 03:52:17 am »

I assumed anatoli was talking about caverns when he said caves.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: January 05, 2012, 07:15:46 am »

The potential for stories that come out of this...

It's a shame Bravemule won't be dealing with the next update. It'd be even more amazing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: January 05, 2012, 08:22:05 am »

So thats what the mists do.

Interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 298