Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1174769 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »

Goodness this stuff on secrets makes me want to start a thread for brainstorming them.

I was the one who did do that really REALLY oversized "artifact effects redux" thread.

Does anyone think it is a good idea?

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 07:43:07 pm »

I have to say that if this is anything like how the magic system will turn out, I'm both surprised and pleased. When Toady mentioned he wanted to something "different" with magic I was kind of skeptical, but I have been pleasantly surprised by what he came up with (again). Looking forward to how much DF will expand in the coming months!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 08:59:25 pm »

Yeah, I've mostly tried to stay out of the "magic debate" because honestly I'm happy with whatever ends up being implemented. Just more of a chance for us technicality-loving types to squee over the new interesting things that can happen in-game. However, I am really surprised how much the "interactions" idea ended up pleasing a lot of people. Toady's calling it a "baby magic system" made me even more happy, and I could settle for just having that for however long, especially if it ties into modding well!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 10:33:15 pm »

UGH! We arn't going to get a Wizard mode in sooo long!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 11:18:00 pm »

I guess in the end the "interactions" will be only a very small part of a Magic-system or Framework. Its just one small buildingblock - like a brick in a brick-wall cathedral. Dont get hyped guys, its neat yeah but not the end of all days.

@Threetoe: The dead rise around Halloween (according to myth) so your a little bit early.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 12:56:37 am »

But they'll be right on time at the current rate of feature creep.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 01:00:58 am »

IIRC there already is a magic redux thread....IIRC it turned into a massive monster as well. :)

@No interactions of magical interaction yet:
well... depends on whether it will be possible to have multiple interactions/curses at the same time, if the mechanism is to switch the creature raws from one to another pregenerated one, as opposed to altering the creature's data, it may be problematic to implement such complexity untill more seperate yet similar methods are around.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 01:37:27 am »

Toady answered the question for the extend of the alterarion in the last WoT. let me quote it:

Quote from: Toady one - last WoT

Quote from: Heph
A question on curses: Will curses be able to just alter certain  attributes or do they turn anything in the same "nightcreature"? For  example could we make a curse that makes the victims skin fall off,  turns the the nails/claws and teeth to iron and replaces eyes with fire  so that a dog and human both affected by said curse are similiar but  still different creatures? Or does the "turning" curse make anything it  hits into same beasty, say a 5 meter tall head-crap? Both options would  actually be neat.

I  haven't gotten to any of the werewolfy/vampirey curses yet, but there's  a significant time/delay issue with doing partial body modification,  especially ones that add parts, but smaller modifications aren't a  problem.  A complete guess at this point would be that we'll be doing  both, in the sense that a vampire-style curse, in addition to all the  non-body stuff, could also increase teeth size for any tooth part it  finds, while leaving the "race" the same (with possible choices to do a  wolf/bat/cloud transform perhaps), whereas a werewolf-style curse might  turn you into a werewolf creature which would have its own definition.   That's as likely as anything.  Not to imply that randomly generated  vampire/werewolf interactions will stick so closely to the generic  image.  But those two kinds of body modifications are likely to be  handled (small modification or total overhaul, with partial overhaul  being the hard one likely to be left out this time).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:40:31 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 02:03:46 am »

I am personally wondering if Toady will go the "Were" route where any animal will be usable... Much later mind you.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 03:20:47 am »

A were-cave-swallowman ?

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 03:35:53 am »

Man, this stuff sounds really cool :P

A question, though;
Have you settled on what these 'secrets' will allow? Would you pretty please be able to post a list (so, immortality, raising and binding undead, rapid healing, etc)?

Cheers oh mighty Toad!

Maybe they want to keep them secret.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 03:49:42 am »

I'm curious about what kind of requirements are going to be placed on who and what can learn secrets. Could an ordinary wild badger learn the secret of necromancy, and if it did, would it build itself a tower and start raising the dead? And if there are requirements for secrets, will they be settable on a per-secret level? (Like "the secret words of wisdom" requiring [INTELLIGENT] to learn and [CAN_SPEAK] to use, for example?)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 04:27:03 am »

There are a lot of immortal creatures in DF, goblins,elves and giants coming to mind. They know the secret of immortality? They can teach it?

I think this is important for the sake of consistency.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 04:50:24 am »

Does a chameleon know the secrets of its color-change and can it teach them to you?

edit: What i want to say is that the immortality of The elves and Goblins is in theyr nature and most wouldnt question it. Sure some may know the secret behind it but for i guess there wouldnt be much importance behind it from the elves or Goblins pov.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 04:55:37 am by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 05:08:18 am »

Does a chameleon know the secrets of its color-change and can it teach them to you?

edit: What i want to say is that the immortality of The elves and Goblins is in theyr nature and most wouldnt question it. Sure some may know the secret behind it but for i guess there wouldnt be much importance behind it from the elves or Goblins pov.

Sorry, but the question is not for you, and unless like Footkerchief you can provide a quote from Toady answering this, the question remains.

I would like to know if it is their nature or if not, if the immortality is provided by a secret.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 06:28:35 am by thvaz »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 298