Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1196037 times)

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2115 on: September 11, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »

I would like everyone to take a moment and remember that the newest devlog means modders can now make our dwarves breathe swords and puke magma.
No, it doesn't. They might be able to breathe swords (depending on how the spider web works: you might be able to replace the web with swords), but magma is definitely a flow, not an item. There is no reason to believe that flows can be produced via interactions.

(Flow is the technical term, right?)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: September 11, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »

Freeform, you just gave me a hearty chuckle, thank you.

Just... the image!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:57 pm »

I would like everyone to take a moment and remember that the newest devlog means modders can now make our dwarves breathe swords and puke magma.
No, it doesn't. They might be able to breathe swords (depending on how the spider web works: you might be able to replace the web with swords), but magma is definitely a flow, not an item. There is no reason to believe that flows can be produced via interactions.

Man why you gotta go and ruin my funny with your overly serious rebuttal. It was just a joke. Obviously we don't know if they can puke magma, or if we can even properly give them two different breath reactions. But both would be nice.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 11, 2011, 07:55:08 pm »

Man why you gotta go and ruin my funny with your overly serious rebuttal. It was just a joke. Obviously we don't know if they can puke magma, or if we can even properly give them two different breath reactions. But both would be nice.

But under your avatar it says it's okay to be cynical!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: September 11, 2011, 08:00:15 pm »

My personal text has grown increasingly less appropriate over the years, to the point where now it's like the old grandparent you hate but don't smother to death in their sleep because they're a timeless, priceless antique and your aunt would be mad if you did.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: September 11, 2011, 09:58:47 pm »

Well, magma isn't only a flow.  Those crabs in the devlogs were shooting out something, after all (Toady doesn't "cludging" it like he does fire) and I'm fairly sure I've seen item/contaminant/whatever adjective-less magma created from some sort of melted item (probably non-ore boulders).  Something around the lines of a counterpart to the "water" item found in buckets.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: September 11, 2011, 10:00:43 pm »

it's melted rocks

they're like regular rocks but more melted
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: September 11, 2011, 10:04:01 pm »

Yea, melted non magma safe boulders are called magma when molten.  I think it's the same for magma safe ones too, it's just harder to get them there.

Honestly I think it's already possible to get dwarves to breath magma.  Should just be a matter of giving dwarves a vapor breath attack that uses some kind of stone as a materiel.  Should come out molten since vapor is just a liquid that behaves like a gas, and cover whatever it comes in contact with head to toe in very hot magma contaminants.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: September 11, 2011, 10:28:52 pm »

Weaponizing cave adaptation!
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: September 11, 2011, 10:31:41 pm »

My personal text has grown increasingly less appropriate over the years, to the point where now it's like the old grandparent you hate but don't smother to death in their sleep because they're a timeless, priceless antique and your aunt would be mad if you did.

Fair enough.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: September 12, 2011, 02:57:22 am »

Magma crabs were also machine-gunning their magma globs and firing at all visible targets at once... that's sorted now.

Oh Hell yes, magma crabs.  I modded in magma crabs like three years ago, and had not realized until now that they exist in the new version.  They are the only crabs in the game at this point, but that's fine.

Y'know, machinegunning fireballs may not have been too out of character all things considered, but oh well.  Maybe it'll be possible to re-machine them.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: September 12, 2011, 06:33:10 am »

I seriously think half the fun of watching the progress on the updates is reading about the bizarre bugs that crop up due to how ridiculously complex the code is.
machine-gun-lava-spraying magma crabs? God damn that's awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: September 12, 2011, 11:03:25 am »

I am starting to wonder how close we are to firing objects as projectiles (other then globs)

That way we can have creatures who breathe clouds of jagged glass.

Actually wait... I don't think that would be possible even WITH projectile glass... as it would just be shooting a peice of glass rather then a cloud of jagged glass.

Hmm which makes me wonder when we will get creatures made up of smaller creatures (swarms as creatures, or creatures of maggots, or people made of snakes)

I wonder, wait, actually.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: September 12, 2011, 01:54:17 pm »

You could make it exhale a cloud of gas that causes bleeding on contact.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dienes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: September 12, 2011, 02:01:47 pm »

I am starting to wonder how close we are to firing objects as projectiles (other then globs)

That way we can have creatures who breathe clouds of jagged glass.

I'm hoping that someone will find a way to make a monster breathe clouds of monsters that will attack.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 298