Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1196169 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1845 on: August 14, 2011, 10:40:51 am »

Which, if I may just interject what everyone is thinking, is badass beyond all comparison.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: August 14, 2011, 10:56:57 am »

Necromancer: What is this? A foolish hero trying to rid the world of evil? You want to wrest this book from my hands and destroy it forever! You will never succeed! MWAHAAHAAHAA!

Urist McAdventurer: Hell no. I want that book so I can do all this undead-raising business myself

Necromancer: Ah, crap...
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: August 14, 2011, 11:02:27 am »

Urist McAdventurer: Will you come and journey with me? Share in my glory!

Townsfolk: Nah thanks, I'm fine tending my cabbages.

Urist McAdventurer: Ok. We do this the hard way. *cleave*

Urist McAdventurer: *mysterious mumbling*

Townsfolk's upper and lower halves of body stand to attention beside Adventurer

Urist McAdventurer: Onwards we go then!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: August 14, 2011, 02:21:11 pm »

Well, you do have to find the secrets first, which probably means taking down an enemy necromancer or raiding a dungeon.

Yeah but go a few months back before necromancers and go

"Hey, what if we had magic that was clearly overpowering allowing us to bring Megabeasts on our side for no cost or penelty. However it was hard to find ability"

I would suspect almost everyone would be against it.

That is what I find funny.

It is part of the "Everything is forgivable if it is awsome"

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: August 14, 2011, 02:29:43 pm »

Well, you do have to find the secrets first, which probably means taking down an enemy necromancer or raiding a dungeon.

"Hey, what if we had magic that was clearly overpowering allowing us to bring Megabeasts on our side for no cost or penelty. However it was hard to find ability"

This is Dwarf Fortress. If it can lead to enough Fun, I don't think there is anything the community is against. The core community has also learned to trust Toady in his decisions.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: August 14, 2011, 02:36:16 pm »

Is there a leaked version? Or can you see the future? It must be one of these, for it looks like you know too much already.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: August 14, 2011, 02:40:26 pm »

Is there a leaked version? Or can you see the future? It must be one of these, for it looks like you know too much already.

Yes, I can see the future of the fortress. How did you know?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:46:20 pm by Neonivek »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1852 on: August 14, 2011, 03:43:08 pm »

There are limitations.  The animated bits require either a head or a grasp part or they either can't be reanimated or collapse immediately.  That's one of the new undead rules, they need one of those to stay 'alive'.

A zombie arm is ok.  It has a grasp part.  A zombie Leg is not.

It still allows huge momentum if kill results in +2 to 4 numeric advantage. If you meet with opposition with equal number of combatants, you will at worst have no losses and at best double your army.

This is, of course, assuming average undead foe has 50/50 chance of scoring kill vs. average soldier.

I have flashbacks of D2 necromancer building army of skeletons from weak foes, then using them to grind down strong foes and then use those to kick some serious demon lord ass.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: August 14, 2011, 04:08:06 pm »

An arm or even half of a person is going to be significantly weaker than a living soldier due to the huge size disadvantage. I suppose you could use blunt weapons to ensure your foes die intact, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: August 14, 2011, 06:18:10 pm »

An arm or even half of a person is going to be significantly weaker than a living soldier due to the huge size disadvantage.

That in mind, I expect there'll be the regular size-based weirdness when it comes to animated parts; a lot of them'll probably be too small to pierce the skin/break bones, and thusly they'll just cause a lot of attack spam and no real effect.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: August 14, 2011, 07:45:25 pm »

An arm or even half of a person is going to be significantly weaker than a living soldier due to the huge size disadvantage.

That in mind, I expect there'll be the regular size-based weirdness when it comes to animated parts; a lot of them'll probably be too small to pierce the skin/break bones, and thusly they'll just cause a lot of attack spam and no real effect.

I'm now imagining adventuring with a veritable cloud of hands. At a word from me, they all leap for the nearest not-mine throat and start squeezing.

Even better, the ability to 'assemble' golems would be sweet. Take a hydra's body, switch out each head for a firebreathing dragon's... maybe add some wings and then ride this bastard into battle.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: August 14, 2011, 08:04:32 pm »

Urist McAdventurer: Will you come and journey with me? Share in my glory!

Townsfolk: Nah thanks, I'm fine tending my cabbages.

Urist McAdventurer: Ok. We do this the hard way. *cleave*

Urist McAdventurer: *mysterious mumbling*

Townsfolk's upper and lower halves of body stand to attention beside Adventurer

Urist McAdventurer: Onwards we go then!
You couldn't reanimate the lower body. It doesn't have a GRASP or MOUTH part. You could, however, stab him in the brain and then reanimate the entire corpse.

Can zombies learn?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: August 14, 2011, 08:19:13 pm »

I'm now imagining adventuring with a veritable cloud of hands. At a word from me, they all leap for the nearest not-mine throat and start squeezing.

Even better, the ability to 'assemble' golems would be sweet. Take a hydra's body, switch out each head for a firebreathing dragon's... maybe add some wings and then ride this bastard into battle.

Are constructed "Frankenstein Monster" type things going to be in the upcoming version?
Will the player be able to take advantage of that mechanic to complement whatever necromancy they pick up?
Now that specific abilities are attached to specific body parts, will we be able to perform the aforementioned Dragon Head/Hydra Body and expect firebreath as a result?

I know that they were mentioned in a DF talk, but I don't see confirmation of their inclusion in the devlog (apart from a brief "after vampires" from Threetoe,) and that Talk was certainly before the decision to make interactions usable by the player.

Mostly, I'm picturing sewing daggers to the fingers on those severed hands to give them serious damage potential, or sewing a human hand to that same human's lower body in order to animate it separately. Or sewing that human hand onto other normally unraisable things.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: August 14, 2011, 10:11:57 pm »

Zombie peregrine falcon women, or regular falcon women that just happened to be nesting up there?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: August 14, 2011, 10:20:39 pm »

Do they fly? And dive? Because that would be awesome.

More excitingly, does this imply that reading the slab is (theoretically) possible in Dwarf Mode, or is he simply clearing out the area to make the adventure mode smash and grab easier? ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 298