Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1196380 times)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1725 on: August 04, 2011, 07:57:12 pm »

Quote from: Dev log Toady
I suppose the current peak of this feature will be learning to be a necromancer and then animating your own severed arm as a permanent traveling companion.

This is fucking awesome.

I intend to have my adventurers walk around with an honor guard of zombified elephant trunks.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: August 04, 2011, 07:57:32 pm »

yay, new dev post.

With 150 kills, Urist Mcadventuerer's right arm was a legendary hero and travelling companion to the necromancer Urist, most famous for cutting off his own arm and using it as his right-hand man...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: August 04, 2011, 08:09:20 pm »

This next release just keeps getting better and better! I wish it would get released soon, but it's probably for the best that these little additions get put into it rather than waiting for the next release to add them.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: August 04, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »

Adventure mode interactions!?

Nothing I say is worthy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: August 04, 2011, 10:12:58 pm »

There is something unfathomly awsome about an adventurer who transforms his arm into his eternal companion who in the end also goes down in legend.

And doth did yon adventurer ride with his great companion handy, master of the flute, in tow.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:22:18 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: August 04, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »

All of the Adv. Mode updates sound badass as hell.

Evercy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: August 04, 2011, 10:46:00 pm »

When this update comes out, I am going to cut, animate, and marry my right hand  ;D

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: August 04, 2011, 11:00:24 pm »

I'm not sure why anyone thinks "retired" forts will be simulated at the Fortress Mode level of detail, including things like mechanisms and exact positioning of dwarves. Your computer is not powerful enough to run two fortress simulations at once.

This issue, I think, is not that the fort needs to be simulated while you're running another fort except in high level detail. The issue is that it needs to be simulated correctly if you visit as an Adventurer. Basic things like: What state for various levers has the drawbridge up or down so you can actually get in? If there is an airlock system, what levers have to be pulled to open the inner doors after travelers have entered through the first set of doors?

It's those more complicated structures that Toady is concerned about. Players do all sorts of interesting things in their fortresses, and sometimes there isn't a decent 'default' state to leave it in that'll keep the fortress working properly if it's loaded during visiting. We can debate about how much of an issue that is, but from what Toady has said he would like these issues to be handled properly.

This answers a nagging question of mine I wanted to bring up here, but didn't out of fear for what Footkerchief would do to me.   ;)

I had only thought of fortress mode, and figured "Who cares whether or not your magma trap or airlock works?  You won't be going there, it just needs to simulate battles and trade, and the caravan arc will take care of the latter, world gen already does the former!  Where's all this mechanism stuff come in?"

I never considered retiring a fortress and then going into adventure mode, mainly because I played adventure mode once and freaked out at the learning curve, which seemed even steeper and crazier than fortress mode (to me).  Obviously, this creates a whole slew of problems that I'd never imagined due to my narrow vision on the game as a whole.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: August 04, 2011, 11:12:36 pm »

If you sever your arm and reanimate it, and then you die, will your arm continue to have adventures?

Because if so- freaking awesome! I would create a necromancer for the sole purpose of severing all my sever-able parts and reanimating them in a bid to live forever- in a manner of speaking.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:07 pm »

Best-case scenario, only to the extent that other historical figures can, which won't amount to much until Caravan Arc Release 5.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: August 05, 2011, 12:40:06 am »

This is going to be such a fun release when it finally comes.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: August 05, 2011, 01:38:54 am »

We could as well wait 20 years and play DF 1.0 if each week something new goes in before the release. I would like more if Toady would attain for the plans he sets for himself, even if everything he puts in the game being awesome as it is.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: August 05, 2011, 02:06:46 am »

Oh. My. Fucking. God. YESSSS!!!

Going to animate my teeth!!!  :D :D :D

Then my toes, then my fingers, then just everything I can have cut off without dieing!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: August 05, 2011, 02:22:32 am »

If you sever your arm and reanimate it, and then you die, will your arm continue to have adventures?

Because if so- freaking awesome! I would create a necromancer for the sole purpose of severing all my sever-able parts and reanimating them in a bid to live forever- in a manner of speaking.
I would think that an 'animate dead(parts)' spell has a timer on it.

like: after 1/n*Y*X frames, (where Y is a spell value in the spell-raws and X the skillfactor of the caster and n the number of parts that are affected by this spell, unless a fixed number is affected/casting), the spell should fizzle due to running out of energy.
spell cost could be variable as well, depending on how many bodyparts a corpse consists of.
I wonder how Toady has it working currently... Sweet expectation, it's like waiting for -insert presents giving festival here-!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: August 05, 2011, 03:21:51 am »

DF just took a big step towards becoming the best game ever.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 298