Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Vomit Forgotten Beast  (Read 12712 times)

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vomit Forgotten Beast
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2011, 10:01:12 pm »

Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.

I think my laughter just woke up downstairs neighbours. Oh the marvels of ASCII games!

ToastyEngie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 11:49:30 pm »

I have one of these myself.  Don't have a screenshot unfortunately, but it is a "towering quadruped made out of vomit" and I think it has a turtle shell.  It spawned in caves that have no access to my fortress, but I'm thinking about digging over to it.  I have a fairly skilled squad of dwarves (thanks to a danger room), although they're all melee user, I think they can kill it.  Should I try?  It sounds like a somewhat pathetic monster.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 12:02:16 am »

Anything that's not stone is weak.  Vomit is marginally less pansy than water, but only marginally.  You can drop a war dog, or a child, or a young kitten...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 10:04:32 am »

You seem to be missing the point here.  The point is you don't need any of that for any non-solid creature.  You need a swift kick and they die.  The liquid, and especially gas and fire creatures, are insanely weak.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 11:55:43 am »

Except fire FB's don't go quietly.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2011, 12:04:00 pm »

Except fire FB's don't go quietly.

Fire blob + Locked gates + Marksdwarves = Not true.

Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2011, 12:15:11 pm »

My policy on FBs has usually been  to leave them alone if at all possible. Even a pathetically weak FB can destroy a fort, long after the FB is dead and gone. Although sending a kitten after it has it's merits. After the kitty scratches it to death, leave the feline hero in the cavern for a while to see if it gets sick. If so, you can put restrictions on any contaminated areas and wall them off and then things should be safe.

The downside of leaving a FB alone in a cavern is if you ever need to go into the cavern, like maybe to get some cave spider silk to satisfy a mood. I had a very bad experience in my last fort by leaving FBs alone in a cavern. I had designated some exploratory mining and was later surprised to see "Urist McHauler cancels store item in bin: Forgotten Beast". Uh-oh, that's not a good thing to see. I checked, and the mining had found an unexplored bit of the cavern, and Urist McHauler had been picking up a gem that had been dug up right where the tunnel met the cavern. I dispatched my closest squad and they got there while the FB was still in the tunnel. They killed after a fight involving large clouds of deadly dust, and as they were walking away they suddenly started spewing out miasma. I watched as they headed to my hospital, and while they were getting diagnosed, I was another "interrupted by forgotten beast" message. Oh shit, there were 3 of them in that cavern! This one was on my main stairs and left lots of blood and extract spread on stairs and a heavily trafficked hallway before it was killed. Every dog in my fort started having their feet rot off, as well as all the children and many of the adults who had worn out their shoes & socks. It was a classic syndrome mess.

So maybe leaving FBs alone in a cavern isn't such a great idea. But don't just send a few troops/kittens after a FB and expect to just kill it and forget about it. Even a wimpy FB needs careful prep to make sure you  can contain any syndrome it my share.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 07:56:12 pm »

I'd like to know what monster is down there capable of vomiting forth a living thing.  :o

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2011, 10:09:59 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.
Sigged.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2011, 10:24:06 pm »

I'd like to know what monster is down there capable of vomiting forth a living thing.  :o
Armok gets cave adaptation too, you know.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 08:16:01 am »

Got a pterodactyl with a knobby turtle shell composed entirely of vomit in my caverns. Apparently it moves deliberately. It's teamed up with a giant steam shrimp.

I think my laughter just woke up downstairs neighbours. Oh the marvels of ASCII games!
I noticed later they were also hanging around with a huge, horned water penguin that likes to fidget and a huge feathered bee that shoots webs. Is it me or do FBs remind anyone else of pokemon? Really big...sadistic...non-euclidian pokemon...
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Sugata-senpai

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anime Watcher+3 Legendary Manga Reader+5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 10:26:02 am »

I noticed later they were also hanging around with a huge, horned water penguin that likes to fidget and a huge feathered bee that shoots webs. Is it me or do FBs remind anyone else of pokemon? Really big...sadistic...non-euclidian pokemon...

Go Featherbee use string shot...

Pengihorns speed has been lowered.

Pengihorn uses horn drill...It's super effective.

Featherbee has been struck down.
Me: I'll kill you... I'll kill you all!!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!...

UristMcRandomNurse: Sir, patient 137 is laughing maniacially again.

UristMcDoctor: Don't worry, if we just ignore him he'll calm down and go back to playing Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: 1 2 [3]