Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: underground lake sourced?  (Read 1389 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
underground lake sourced?
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »

If an underground lake runs off the map in two places, is it considered source? I'm asking because I want to run waterwheels and pump stacks, and if I can avoid dropping the ocean 50 z levels to run my waterwheels that wound be nice
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: underground lake sourced?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »

Yup. Just keep in mind that fortifications full of water can be entered by swimming stuff.
Soaplent green is goblins!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:38:59 pm »

cool. Next question: Do building destroyers attack grates?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 04:39:50 pm »

Not if they're above them, otherwise yes they're a building and a valid target.  But a destroyer can only smash things on the same Z level, so a grate placed above a cistern is safe.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:40:50 pm »

ah, so judicious use of floor grates sounds like the way to go then. Thanx!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »

Keep in mind that creatures cannot move through a floor grate (read: cave gators) but that it allows the movement of water through pumps, and also allows fishing through floor grates.  So I've heard, I don't meddle in fishing myself.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:46:21 pm »

well, not too worried about fishing (unless the caverns are stuffed with cave fish). I'm more concerned from keeping nasties( i.e. FBs) away from my waterwheels and my fort. So, thanx for the help!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 05:27:34 pm »

Dwarves can see through grates so if there is a FB at the bottom of the water intake visible through the grate it will frighten dwarves, but it will not be able to hurt your dwarves. Mechanical power is best for this reason. A mechanically powered pump doesn't afraid of anything!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 05:29:13 pm »

The way I deal with this is to make the water go down then up a U bend, with a grate in the 'going up' portion. If you do that, just remember that sourced water rises to one level below its original level when going through a u bend.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:43:04 pm »

Add in a diagonal and you can depressurize water.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:13 pm »

heh, forgot the diagonal part of it and lost my miner when he got washed back into the lake from the backpressure, as well as the force of the water rushing though the grates I had installed. On the upside, I've got my waterwheel race finished, and only 5 levels or so above the magma sea to boot!(though, being in an evil area is becoming VERY annoying, rather than challenging like I thought)

Renzuko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40:10 pm »

so...does water have to be one block below a pump, or can i say...break into a cavern high above water, and expect the water to magically enter the pump?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 10:06:47 pm »

As bug-riddled and hilarious as water tends to be, no.  You must build the pump 1 Z above the liquid.  Otherwise, pump stacks would be obsolete, yes?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 10:50:27 pm »

You can sue an artifact grate if you want to keep those nasty FB's out. They can't break artifacts.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 11:17:34 pm »

Actually, they can deconstruct artifacts, but the artifact won't be vaporized. It'll still be there for re-use after the beastie is gone.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."
Pages: [1] 2