Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome  (Read 16341 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:23 pm »

I do not care about what they can or will do. I don't think one minor political mistake will be the end of me.

I want to make the people happy for it's own sake.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2011, 07:58:54 pm »

Well a policy of phased integration would be our best bet here. The children should be raised in fine Roman tradition. Etruscan tradition (such as they have, that isnt anathema to us) should be either forbidden gently, or added to our own glorious tradition. Economically, these subject peoples will be taxed, but after a certain threshold, citizenship should be automatic. They will have paid their dues, after all.
Alternatively we could force fees(though this seems..well, poorly considered by the mob), or army service(in the Auxiliaries) as a path to citizenship. That may have the added bonus of swelling our army ranks.

Citizenship should of course be hereditary. But the real question is, what seperates a citizen from a non-citizen, resident of our lands?
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2011, 08:48:32 pm »

what seperates a citizen from a non-citizen, resident of our lands?

Gender and land ownership.

At any rate, it looks like they want phased integration or none.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2011, 09:01:07 pm »

What can the mob "do"?

They can storm our estates with pitchforks and axes. Which is why we issued the follow grandiose public statement to quiet them down.

House Augustine hears the voice of the people. They say, "No Estrucans", and we listen!

We promise to do everything in our power to keep barbarians in their place! No free bread for an Estrucan! No free land for an Estrucan! No easy jobs for an Estrucan!

Rome will remain Roman, now and FOREVER!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2011, 09:51:10 pm »

Senator Toririus has heard the will of the people, and will obey: Roman Citizenship shall not be sold, nor shall it be given away to barbarians.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »

"Oh hear me people of Rome. House Augustine want to whip you into a unthinking frenzied mob. To redirect your anger towards the Estrucans so you do not look at them as they deprive you of your freedoms and rights as Roman citizens. House Augustine would have you grow such hatred towards the Estrucans that all you care about is killing them. But I ask you, where would it end? For after the last Estrucan has died, what will House Augustine use next? Perhaps another tribe, and then another? They will wage war upon the world and send the Sons of Rome out to die just to keep eyes away from the true issues? Nay I say! The Estrucans need to pay for the crimes inflected on Mother Rome, but we need not slaughter them senselessly! That will not solve the root of our issues!

Instead of the wasteful slaughter that House Augustine calls for, I call for a new path! The Estrucans shall be crushed under our might, but instead of death they shall enter slavery for the people of Rome! To that end, I purpose a new deal to my fellow senators!

When the lands of the Estrucans are ours, It shall be split into many equal plots! Then, each citizen that moves to the east shall gain for free one of these plots of land, to work as they please! Each of these homesteaders shall also receive at least one Estrucan to help his family work there new lands and increase their livelihood! This will not only help the homesteaders, but also install strong Roman traditions in the Estrucans and teach them the ways of civilization!

The remaining Estrucan slaves shall be sent to work on the grand Aqueduct to bring the fresh sweet mountain waters to Rome!

This way we can solve the over population, the lack of land, and the lack of water issues instead of ignore them as House Augustine would wish you to do!"

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 15, 2011, 02:41:13 pm »

Random Samples of Graffiti around Rome

Aemilius Varinius Albanus supports House Augustine!       Aemilius is a drunk and a coward.
           House Toririus supports the Roman Farmer                            Lies and slander!
                                                       House Augustine are inbreed nobles!
House Equus are a true Roman family!                               The Senator from House Augustine can suck it!
                            House Equus wants us to be overun with barbarians!
House Augustine wants us to selfishly hide the light of civilization!

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 15, 2011, 04:57:39 pm »

Some slight delays here.  Had a chaotic weekend and Terraria is coming out.  Will try to bring in a turn as I can.  I suggest bickering about voting in the meantime and suggesting projects.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 15, 2011, 05:05:21 pm »

Apologies here, but USEC_OFFICER makes our citizens look like Parisians in 1200.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2011, 07:17:01 pm »

Edited my turn, I hope it is okay.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2011, 07:56:43 pm »

Did everyone get their turn in?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]