Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome  (Read 16383 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome
« Reply #195 on: May 12, 2011, 02:13:38 pm »

It's a bit anachronistic (IE we're before these were actually used), but Roman Legionary.

Or hey, check me too.

I'm for the Criptfeind Plan of attack.  It seems both solid and historically accurate.

I think anything that wasn't a legionnaire was an auxiliary to the Romans.  Wikipedia mostly agrees.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 12, 2011, 02:22:22 pm »

It says that the auxiliary were the non-citizen legions, which since most citizens could not afford horses it makes sense to me that there could be horse legions, if they were supported by a house (like all of our cavalry is), I mean, we already threw realism out the window in turn zero as far as it comes to army structure.

Basically, my worry is that by attaching the word auxiliary instead of legion it makes it sound like they are less important or inferior in some way, which is not true as the Roman cavalry were really quite good, maybe the best in the world at the time.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2011, 02:37:41 pm »

------------
Name: Decia Equus
Tibers: 140
Resources:
-10 Poor quality horses
-1 tapestry
-30 slaves
Favor: 2
Businesses:
-Horse Ranch: 13T + 5 Poor quality horses
-Oat Farm: 6T
-Cattle Farm: 6T
-Tanners workshop: 6T
-Leather workshop: 16T
-Sheep: 5T 
-Weavers: 5t + tapestry
Troops:
-10 Aux Horsmen
-15 Household guards
Positions:
-Horse aux leader: Pilus Prior Aulus Decia Equus
Senators: 1
------------

Business:
-40t invested in a aqueduct for the city.

-40t invested in the cattle ranch to keep it competitive.

-40t and 10 slaves invested into the horse farm, lets try to bring production and profits guy slave guys!

-20t and 10 Poor quality horses invested into the horse breeding program to raise the horse quality.

Senators:

A senator will lobby the empire to invest over the next two years to make the 6th legion, and to put it under the command of the Decia house, seeing the great strides we have made militarily. (1 favor)

Edit: Specifically Lucius Decia Cursibus.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:42:06 pm by Criptfeind »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2011, 02:45:26 pm »

It says that the auxiliary were the non-citizen legions, which since most citizens could not afford horses it makes sense to me that there could be horse legions, if they were supported by a house (like all of our cavalry is), I mean, we already threw realism out the window in turn zero as far as it comes to army structure.

Basically, my worry is that by attaching the word auxiliary instead of legion it makes it sound like they are less important or inferior in some way, which is not true as the Roman cavalry were really quite good, maybe the best in the world at the time.

I've always heard the Roman Calvary was really really bad and they tended to hire foreigners for it.  Hence the Catraphacts of E. Rome.  I could be wrong though.  Also I'm pretty sure the Itallian cav was outclassed by at least the Persians and the Eurasia tribes.  However! We are nowhere near getting there atm.  Also our cav does not have stirrups yet.  They dismount to fight.  So they are light mobile infantry at this time.

Also we can have a motion in the senate to rename army groups as desired.  I suggest changing Aux when we actually get some foreign troops.

For the military camp a small hint.  Money does not necessarily make every type of project go better on it's own, it does help to stimulate actions though.  Maybe you'll find a creative solution here.

Ok the industry bonus.  Include base resource industry.  This means mines, smelters, charcoal, wood, etc.  And the actual production places.

Only olive oil gets the trade bonus.  They bought the oil not straight olives :P 

I think I answered most of this?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:48:31 pm by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2011, 02:48:45 pm »

Except for my senate action from last turn...

Senatorial Action:
"The mob's request is an interesting one.  They want more land?  I say we give it to them!  Let's recruit a great number of troops and completely take over the Etruscan territory!  I volunteer to head up this recruitment effort.  Once the campaign is complete, we can see about providing land to our best soldiers.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2011, 02:54:25 pm »

The issue with the Roman cavalry was that:

1: There was much to little of it. So it was always out numbered (Sometimes more then ten times over) in a battle with their counterparts.

2: It was heavy cavalry made to smash infantry and other  heavy cavalry (which it did wonderfully) but they did not support it with light cavalry, which when they started fighting the the barbarian tribes of the north and the hordes of the east was a big issue because they could not keep up with the lighter faster horses.

Thus, yes, the Cavalry legions sorta did not do well, but not though any fault of their own but rather though the failing of logistics and support. I can correct these errors, and I feel confidant I can make the cavalry the hammer of Rome.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2011, 03:26:58 pm »

Name: The Aragii
Resources:
  46 Tibers (23 Savings + 23 Income)
  Imperial Favor: 0

Businesses:
  Potters Guild (+17T/Turn)
  -Clay Pit(Stops Resource Shortages to Potters Guild)
  Carpenters Guild (+3T/Turn)
  Brickworks (+3T/Turn)
Positions: None

Business Action: Invest 45 Tibers into a Brewery (Damnit I will find some sort of profitable business! DAMNIT!)
Senatorial Action: I support the battle plan proposed by House Equus. I also move for a rotation of commanders to allow all the great houses of Rome to profit from the spoils of war.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2011, 03:34:07 pm »

That is a controversial movement.

To make the spoils of war more fair, how about in the war, 25% of the profits go to the empire, 15% go to the people, and the rest is split among the great houses?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2011, 03:35:34 pm »

Aequus:

Resources: 66-56=10T
Businesses: Logging Camp (Roma 20T), Fletcher (Roma 7T) Charcoal Kiln (Roma 10T); 2 favor point
Positions: Nada.
Senators: 1 (M. Aequus)

Spendings:

11T to Roman civic project fund
30T to Winery - If we are going to put up a proper festival, we need good quality wine! Use the grapes from the new frontier.
15T to Army engineer - this is as much as we can afford.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:20:03 pm by evilcherry »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »

Are you still taking applicants or do I need to join the waiting list?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2011, 03:42:17 pm »

You make an excellent point, Senator Equus. It simply seems that spreading the wealth of conquest around will improve the lot of all the citizens of Rome. Plus, our conquests will add land that will appease the masses.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2011, 03:48:32 pm »

"Indeed-perhaps material gain will intice other houses to help fund Rome's defense.

We would support this, but only if all houses pledged to help the military in some way."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2011, 04:01:23 pm »

Name: The Tullius Family
Resources: 85 Tibers  (40T income, plus 25 Tiber bonus from traders and 20 Tiber bonus from military spending (Olive Oil and Fishing Ship, 2x food)
Imperial Favor: 5
Businesses: Limestone Quarry (+10T), Olive Plantation (+5T), One small fishing ship (+5T), Small Amphitheater (+10T), Olive Oil Press (+10T)
Positions: N/A

Business Action:  Invest 25 Tiber toward Aqueduct (regardless- see below).

Conditional:  If I am head of army recruitment, spend 40 Tibers on its efforts.  Save the last 20 Tibers.

If I am not head of army recruitment, invest 50 Tibers in upgrading the amphitheater.  Save the last 10 Tibers.

Senatorial Action:  Encourage the development of civic works.  (No flavor this time, sorry!)

My support of the military is through recruitment, assuming said action succeeded.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 12, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »

"House Toririus is a firm supporter of our glorious legions. Should the measure to split the spoils of war pass, we will pledge 50 tibers invested into the training grounds over the next two years, and half of our take on the tiber spoils for the war against the Etruscans will directly go into supporting the military."

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:03 pm »

House Aequus was unable to provide troop support. However, we are dedicating 15T in the coming 4 years, for a total of 60T, to set up an engineer corps. This will also work towards civic buildings at times of peace.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19