Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome  (Read 16399 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome
« Reply #165 on: May 11, 2011, 10:18:58 pm »

I hear ye Evilcherry, You'd think bricks, carpentry and pottery would be in high demand. Perhaps not at this stage.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2011, 10:21:41 pm »

Probably need a more civic minded leader.

Once we pass the wall in the senate, We should get an aqueduct built!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2011, 10:25:22 pm »

I hear ye Evilcherry, You'd think bricks, carpentry and pottery would be in high demand. Perhaps not at this stage.
Wood will always be in great demand as:

Almost everything Nirur invests in needed wood. Unless you're going for all-bronze javelins and spears.
Fishing = need a lot of wood.
Any building not made of bricks or stone.

Its not until the industrial revolution that civilization finally outgrow wood and really started to use coal and steel in an industrial scale. Sigh.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2011, 10:35:03 pm »

Almost everything Nirur invests in needed wood. Unless you're going for all-bronze javelins and spears.

Its not until the industrial revolution that civilization finally outgrow wood and really started to use coal and steel in an industrial scale. Sigh.

Your overestimating how much wood would be needed.  Maybe you should suggest something that would take more?
Also perhaps you should build a charcoal production facility? The wood may also increase if you build a navy.  Or something you could suggest..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisade
*Cough*

:)

And again keep in mind that you are not the sole suppliers of basic goods.  So prices may vary.  (I also forget what industries we have so make sure to mention related holdings when lobbying for projects)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:49 pm »

I propose that, as the leaders of the best families in all of Roma, and therefore the civilized world, we take steps to ensure that no lesser families manage to overtake us.

Starting next year and continuing every year thereafter, I say we each pool 3% of our non-event Tiber income, rounded down, and donate it to the one with the lowest income who did anything that year. Obviously this would be discontinued for any family voted to be suffering from gross incompetence. Should some of our families suffer the hardships of fortune, this will ensure that we remain viable in the ever-changing world. I am uncertain of how non-Tiber income would be calculate for this.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2011, 10:45:14 pm »

Your overestimating how much wood would be needed.  Maybe you should suggest something that would take more?
Also perhaps you should build a charcoal production facility? The wood may also increase if you build a navy.  Or something you could suggest..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisade
*Cough*

:)

And again keep in mind that you are not the sole suppliers of basic goods.  So prices may vary.  (I also forget what industries we have so make sure to mention related holdings when lobbying for projects)
The point is that you award too little for civic projects. Well, actually anything that does not sound Roman.
And when they're building ships, demand of wood should go up. Insanely. I suppose that timber would be some "baseline" goods which everyone will have to buy from, but no, its multiple, redundant, and most importantly wood-consuming weapons and armor that win the race.

Getting every other turn skipped do me no good, either.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2011, 11:06:37 pm »

Name: The Tullius Family
Resources: 30 Tibers
Imperial Favor: 5
Businesses: Limestone Quarry (+10T), Olive Plantation (+5T), One small fishing ship (+5T), Small Amphitheater (+10T)
Positions: N/A
Senators: 1

Business Action:  Invest 30 Tibers in an olive oil press.  Let's put these olives to use making olive oil.

Senatorial Action:
"The mob's request is an interesting one.  They want more land?  I say we give it to them!  Let's recruit a great number of troops and completely take over the Etruscan territory!  I volunteer to head up this recruitment effort.  Once the campaign is complete, we can see about providing land to our best soldiers.

In other news, I am in favor of the bath.  I can assist with the stone, as usual."

I support the aqueduct after the wall, but I'm not sure about Torir's request.  I say if someone can't keep up, they deserve to be replaced.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2011, 11:08:45 pm »

Well, the economics of this game really do not make much sense at all, that is true, but you really are over estimating the worth of wood.

Any yokel with a axe can go out and chop some wood up, you must have huge operations to account for how much profit you are seeing.

Basically: Stop whining about it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2011, 11:56:25 pm »

------------
Name: Decia Equus
Tibers: 44
Resources:
-5 Poor quality horses
-30 slaves
Favor: 2
Businesses:
-Horse Ranch: 13T + 5 Poor quality horses
-Oat Farm: 6T
-Cattle Farm: 6T 
-Tanners workshop: 6T
-Leather workshop: 16T
Troops:
-10 Aux Horsmen
-15 Household guards
Positions:
-Horse aux leader: Pilus Prior Aulus Decia Equus
Senators: 1
------------

Business:

To expand our animal animal initiative we will purchase the land and starting stock of a sheep farm for 20t.

Then the wool from that farm will be sent to the new weavers workshop we are setting up with 20t.

Senator:

Our Senator will, with the resounding success of the raid last year and the impending war on the horizon, ask that the horse aux be promoted to a full horse legion of 1000 troops. So that we can make sure we keep the advantage over any Etruscan calvery.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2011, 07:54:47 am »

SENATE DISCUSSION:

---------------------------------

Please Discuss. The mob seems to be calling for more land.  Perhaps they may be distracted?

-House Knavii suggests each house donate 5-10t to fund a grand festival to distract the peasant population and celebrate the greatness of Rome
   - Support from Toririus after war has been finished.
   - Support from Equus after war has been finished.

-House Tullius suggests giving increasing recruitment and offering tracts of land to the best soldiers of our legions after our victory over the Etruscans.
   - Support from Toririus

Other issues brought forward.

- M. Aequus propose to build a bath.
   - Support from Tullius
   - Support from Torirus, built after Aqueduct
   - Support from Equus, built after Aqueduct

- Aurius Knavii suggests that an Aqueduct be built.
   - Support from Tullius, after wall is built
   - Support from Torirus, should be built before bath and wall
   - Support from Equus,  after wall is built

- Toririus Family suggest richest noble families offer 3% of profits to poorest noble house.
   - Tullius opposes subsidies
   - Equus is undecided

- Equus Family ask for the Horse Aux. to be expanded to a full legion.
   - Support from Tullius
   - Support from Toririus
   - Support from Knavii

- Equus Family suggest Rome ally with Alba Longa
   - Support from Knavii

- Equus Family suggest only citizens may be soldiers

NOTE: Please remind me if I've missed any of your ideas or support, lots of good ideas floating about!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:44:57 am by Knave »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2011, 08:43:31 am »

Clarification:  I am proposing a recruitment effort in addition to the reward of land.

I also support the expansion of the horse auxiliaries.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2011, 08:44:06 am »

I will support an elaborate festival after our glorious armies have defeated the northern barbarians. I support giving land from our conquests to soldiers.

I would prefer to build an aquaduct, then a bath, then the wall.

I support the suggestion to expand the horse auxiliaries into a full sized legion.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2011, 09:06:07 am »

Yes. I support a festival after our first victory.

Also, perhaps if we limited the (main) army to citizens only, like Rome really did? It might piss off some of them in the short run, but at least it will stop complainants of the solders needing land.

I also support a wall, then a aqueduct, then a bath. I feel I can now pay for my share of the wall, but I would support anyone who feels they can not in voting it down. I want this to be a unanimous decision.

The wealth thing is... interesting. I will need to think on it... But I suppose for now I can support it.

About these Estrucans, perhaps it would be a good idea we looked for allies in Alba Longa? It might lower our gains in this war... But then at least their army would be as depleted as ours, if you know what I mean.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2011, 09:29:59 am »

((In regards to limiting soldiers to being citizens only, I figured this would be the case already with them being called a citizen militia, but if it is not, I support this wholeheartedly))

In regards to civic projects, it seems most houses are behind the idea of pooling tibers to complete them. I suggest all Noble houses put aside 10t each turn for a project starting next turn. be it a bathhouse, aqueduct or wall.

House Knavii is open to the suggestion of an alliance with Alba Longa as it will secure that front while we are at war.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2011, 10:00:11 am »

if its allowed i would want to be waitlisted.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19