Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome  (Read 16414 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2011, 08:52:40 am »

Senate Results

Build Wall for Rome?
3 YAY
4 NAY
Motion fails but will be brought back to debate at a later time when the great houses can better invest in infrastructure

Raid on Etruscans. Purpose, area, extent, units sent, etc. --

-Almost all of the Senate agree the raid should be limited. But there is no real consensus on the goals, the composition or the leader.

composition:
1500 Legionaires + Aux - 2 votes
1 legion + cavalry - 4 votes
1 legion - 1 vote
Cavalvry only - 0 vote

Leader
Augustine family nominate General Mamillus Augustine for leading raid
Equus family nominate Pilus Prior Aulus Decia Equus for leading raid
Knavii family nominate Pilus Prior Aulus Decia Equus for leading raid
Aequus family nominate Numitor  for leading raid
Tullius family nominate Numitor for leading raid

two families are undeclared.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:32:20 pm by Knave »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2011, 09:07:00 am »

"Surely, a fragmented command will lead to utter defeat. General Mamillus Augustine should lead the raid with his legion, and Pilus will be subordinate to him, but still maintain complete control over his cavalry forces. We must put aside our pride for the good of the Empire!"

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2011, 09:55:21 am »

Unless there is a greater consensus among the senators or a House is willing to pay some Tiber or favour, I imagine the Emperor will want to lead the raid himself given his lust for battle.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2011, 10:14:03 am »

As M. Aequus reiterated that:

III Romae should move slightly north. Only slightly to deter raids.
Main body of raid should be I Romae eq.
The King should lead the raid personally.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2011, 10:37:19 am »

"Do the Tullius object to Augustine help in constructing the Colosseum? The costs will undoubtly be astronomical, and we would be glad to help. Also, our masterwork bronze statuary can be used to beautify it before the eyes of the Empire. "

An interesting proposition, but I feel I must decline your proposal to take part in the main construction.  However, I will keep your bronzeworks in mind when it comes time to place statues and stock the armory.

((You probably shouldn't have asked after being the tiebreaker vote against my pet project.))

I also support the King himself leading the raid.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2011, 11:36:07 am »

Random Samples of Graffiti around Rome

"No land for nobles!
Land deserves to remain in the
                     Join the cult of Zeus today!"
hands of farmers!
Stay off of our land!"
                      Cloelius Vinicius Varius is looking for domestic help.

Otho Atilius Faustus beds three women each night.

How are we supposed to fight the Etrusians
Martinus Tatius Thracius is                          if all our soldiers are landless?
asking for donations, so that
he can remain elibable for
                                  "I assume that we'll give our
military service.                                                soldiers the Etruscan's lands once we win."
                             Nah, the nobles will just buy that up as well.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2011, 11:46:04 am »

((The wall? You know, I was wondering if that was going to be 50T over 5 years, or 50T every year for 5 years...I was thinking it was the 2nd one.

Also, you could have bought my vote by offering me something like that in the first place. Now, we both lose. A pledge to better diplomacy in the future, then.))

House Augustine is always supportive of the King taking to the field of battle.

House Augustine raise this issue before the Senate to be voted on:
The punishment for defacing monuments with graffiti should be public flogging.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2011, 12:28:01 pm »

"Surely, a fragmented command will lead to utter defeat. General Mamillus Augustine should lead the raid with his legion, and Pilus will be subordinate to him, but still maintain complete control over his cavalry forces. We must put aside our pride for the good of the Empire!"

Although I agree a fragmented command is a poor idea, I object to Mamillus Augustine leading the raid. The raiders will need to strike fast and then melt away before a response, that does not lend well to a grounded infantry man. In addition to that, since they will have to avoid any large forces they come across a standard formation would be unwise, so they will have to be more spread out, a mounted commander would be able to spread his orders that much faster.

Thus I believe that Aulus Equus is the man for the job.

(Heh. Pilus Prior is his army title, like you are calling your guy a general. It is not part of his name.)

At anyrate, I will change my votes to 1 legion + cavalry, which I guess is enough to pass it.

House Augustine raise this issue before the Senate to be voted on:
The punishment for defacing monuments with graffiti should be public flogging.

No. That is crazy and will only make the population hate us. I say we should make a public place where anyone can make graffiti. It might even help us find out the peoples wishes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »

"It is my concern that without infantry support, the cavalry will find it difficult to breach enemy defenses-even a simple 3 foot wall or stakes can stop a cavalry charge, not to mention a wall of brick lined with archers. With the help of a legion armed with ladder, rams and manpower, we could attack richer targets, and haul back more loot. If we are to poke the hornets nest, I would rather it be with a sword and not a stick...also, I would not be entirely content to merely pillage farmers huts of their clay trinkets and hemp clothing. Let us go for the finer goods!

But, if that turns to be the will of the majority, we will not mind. Mamilus will lead his legion seperately against another target, while the cavalry distract and confuse any defenders by attacking at another. Only the combined votes of the entire senate or the Emperors order could could convince House Augustine to stay its hand in this manner.

We would achieve greater results working together, though.
"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 12:46:42 pm by Dwarmin »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2011, 01:07:32 pm »

"It is my concern that without infantry support, the cavalry will find it difficult to breach enemy defenses-even a simple 3 foot wall or stakes can stop a cavalry charge, not to mention a wall of brick lined with archers. With the help of a legion armed with ladder, rams and manpower, we could attack richer targets, and haul back more loot. If we are to poke the hornets nest, I would rather it be with a sword and not a stick...also, I would not be entirely content to merely pillage farmers huts of their clay trinkets and hemp clothing. Let us go for the finer goods!

But, if that turns to be the will of the majority, we will not mind. Mamilus will lead his legion seperately against another target, while the cavalry distract and confuse any defenders by attacking at another. Only the combined votes of the entire senate or the Emperors order could could convince House Augustine to stay its hand in this manner.

We would achieve greater results working together, though.
"
You are not asking for a raid, but a full invasion.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2011, 01:08:12 pm »

Are you saying you will ignore the vote of the senate unless it is overwhelming?

No matter the outcome of the leadership vote, I will not watch our forces be split. If you would give our enemies this chance by ignoring orders and acting for your own foolish pride I will be forced to lobby the Emperor to strip you of your command.

Our army MUST stand united against the threat of the barbarus. If you would let your petty pride get in the way of that you are not fit for command.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2011, 01:30:47 pm »

Senator Aurius Knavii stands to address the senate,

With Equus, changing his vote for 1 legion + cavalry, we have secured a majority vote. While this is by no means binding, I know Numitor will at least take our voices into consideration.

Frankly, I am somewhat concerned that the Augustine family would throw the results of any senate vote to the wind if they do not find them in their favour. It is for that reason that the Knavii family will support Aulus Decia Equus to lead the raid. If this senate is to be taken seriously, all our members must adhere to it's decisions. We must be humble in realizing that not all votes shall be in our favour.

On the topic of punishment for graffiti, I am unconvinced that a flogging or a public space to condone this behaviour are the appropriate responses. One sounds too harsh, while the other makes it seem like we will cave to wishes by condoning their illegal acts. Would the other Senators like to weigh in on the subject?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 11, 2011, 02:00:04 pm »

"I support the limited aims espoused by the majority view of the senate.  We must remember that these barbarians are a disorganized rabble.  The best things they have for us are slaves and, more importantly, their land.  These raids should be designed to push them back from the border, so we may then expand over the territory that is rightfully ours.

On to more mundane purposes, what concern is the graffiti to the Senate?  Let the people scribble on walls.  We should neither excessively punish nor encourage it, but instead read between the lines to get an ear out for signs of discord."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »

"Perhaps my pride somewhat overcame my good sense...House Augustine only wishes to the serve the Empire by bringing honor to our recent military apointment. We apologize for our misstep.

House Augustine will abide by the ruling of the senate...but I will not permit our legion to go forth completely under the command of House Equus though-men fleeing on horses seldom care about the men on foot behind them. We shall acompany them, if it is decided a Legion is needed, and play the role of subordinate ourselves, we will do so for the good of the army."

((Hey, Me and Evilcherry did spend a point of our favor on military apointments that could horribly backfire on us, while everyone else plays it safe building businesses. SOMEONE has to lead the army, after all.

Can you guys accept I want to use that to my advantage? I'll play 2nd string, but I'll insist if a legion gets sent along, it should be mine. Anyone feel strongly against that specific notion? >_>  ))

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2011, 02:25:21 pm »

((Hey, Me and Evilcherry did spend a point of our favor on military apointments that could horribly backfire on us, while everyone else plays it safe building businesses. SOMEONE has to lead the army, after all. ))

I did as well you know.

((Can you guys accept I want to use that to my advantage? I'll play 2nd string, but I'll insist if a legion gets sent along, it should be mine. Anyone feel strongly against that specific notion? >_>  ))

As long as you accept a secondary command position, I am fine with it.

Also, on the Colosseum: Toaster my friend, I have already started the building of a place such as that. I have already spent good money on purchasing the needed land. Perhaps you would wish to enter a joint venture with me?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19