Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome  (Read 16410 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
Re: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2011, 10:43:47 pm »

yeah years = turns
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2011, 10:47:14 pm »

I feel uncomfortable sending the bulwark of our legions to attack a enemy when the raids should be lighting quick. And quite frankly I feel archers are somewhat unsuited to the task.

I know this sounds like I am only promoting my own agenda, but really that is how I see things. Save the archers and legions for the real war and use the horse men where they will excel.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2011, 10:51:56 pm »

I feel uncomfortable sending the bulwark of our legions to attack a enemy when the raids should be lighting quick. And quite frankly I feel archers are somewhat unsuited to the task.

I know this sounds like I am only promoting my own agenda, but really that is how I see things. Save the archers and legions for the real war and use the horse men where they will excel.

Well here's the question- what are our war aims?  If we want to pillage and loot, then raids are the way to go.  If we want to conquer the area and eradicate the Etruscan threat, then we need to hit them with everything.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »

It is a raid. This is not war as of yet.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2011, 10:58:26 pm »

Well The Emperor has made it known that he wants to perform a raid. One can assume that once our legions carry out a successful raid and carry back untold riches, he will desire a more 'permanent' stay on their lands. Thus we need an adequate response, not too strong to deplete our defensive forces, but not too small as to make little impact.

I also urge the other Senators to change their vote to support the Wall. It may be costly, but it will provide the Roman people will a much needed layer of defence. And the Imperial Coffers are looking rather healthy these days!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2011, 11:00:25 pm »

Look. The wall is great. But I can not afford that. That is pretty much all of my income for 5 turns.

Also, I feel putting the legions in a situation where they can be overwhelmed and without retreat is a bad thing. I wish to state I think a all or none way should be taken.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2011, 11:08:08 pm »

Look. The wall is great. But I can not afford that. That is pretty much all of my income for 5 turns.

Also, I feel putting the legions in a situation where they can be overwhelmed and without retreat is a bad thing. I wish to state I think a all or none way should be taken.

Perhaps if we could convince the Emperor to cover part of the expenses? say 5t over 5 years instead of 10?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2011, 11:21:15 pm »

I don't foresee him going for more support.  It'll be his proposed payment plan or no wall.

I say send 1.5k legionnaires and the auxiliaries out on raids.  Focus on pushing them back from the borders of Rome.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2011, 12:14:02 am »

I too think the wall is great, but truly, there are lesser families to consider here. As such I am opposed to such an idea for now. Let us invest our coin, and agree to reopen wall discussions in 2 years(turns) Alright?

Name: The Aragii
Resources: 
  19 Tibers (2 Savings + 17 Income)
  Imperial Favor: 0

Businesses: 
  Potters Guild (+17T/Turn)
  -Clay Pit(Stops Resource Shortages to Potters Guild)
Positions: None
Senators: 1 (Terius Aragii)

Business Action:
15 T Will be spent in the creation of a Carpenters Guild.
4 T will be saved.

Senatorial Action:
  Nay on the Wall
Surely you cannot expect us weaker families to cripple our capability to invest in Roma's growing infrastructure for many years.
  Vote for the Cavalry Auxilia, supported by at least 1 Legion to conduct the raid against the Etruscans, and avoid open battle

My fellow senators, Although you may look upon my house as merchants, and not soldiers I would beg you heed my words of consul.

We have no knowledge of the Etruscan forces, hence we must move cautiously. A small raid with simply the Cavalry Auxilia and perhaps a legion as support, will likely serve to give us vital intelligence as well as a small boost to our coffers. I too, caution others that this is a raid, not open war. For now.
The Archers will serve us better in a defensive capacity. This action is about speed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:48:49 am by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2011, 01:39:51 am »

Name: Aequus
Resources: 50T-50T
Businesses: Logging Camp (Roma 18T), Fletcher (Roma 7T)
Positions: Nada.
Senators: 1 (M. Aequus)

Invest 25T to expand the Logging operation.
Invest 25T to build a proper dockyard.
M. Aequus vote for the wall. Propose that the cost be restructured to a "pay-as-you-go" system.
M. Aequus proposes to move III Romae a bit north to protect Roman property and help develop the area.

Quietly reminds everyone ships consume an ungodly amount of wood.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2011, 01:51:17 am »

"I hear the wisdom in your words. Although I would ask that you consider keeping the legion hidden as well as possible, and using them to ambush any small armies sent to take the horse aux."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2011, 04:12:19 am »

Name: Augustine Family
Resources: 35TT (base 0T+35T businesses)
Businesses: 
-Copper Mine +10T
-Bronze Smelter +10T
-Bronze Works +15T
Imperial Favour: 1
Positions: General Ship (1)
Senators: 1

Actions:
Business/  Save 35T
To help out the Equuus Family, we will purchase their finest horse for our new family General for 1 tiber

Senator/
Build Wall for Rome? YAY or NAY House Augustine votes NAY

"The walls of Rome will be a significant deterrant to her enemies. But...we will need time to raise the proper funds. House Augustine would need at least 3 years to be able to fund it's part in this project."

The Raid
"We shall not be denied the glory of battle due to quaking hearts! My son shall lead a single legion in support of the raiding cavalry. We will not engage the foe directly-if we are quick, he will not have time to even muster his forces. I...er, Rome shall soon be enriched with the plunder of war!"

General Mamillus Augustine/
Lead a single legion of troops on a quick raid on an Estrucan border city without a strong garrison or wall defenses. Get in and out in a day before the Estrucans can muster their forces-we're working with the Cavalry Auxilia, but we're only supporting them if they get into trouble.

House Augustine makes sure to quietly keep a goodly amount of loot for itself, the rest is donated to the empire.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:28:46 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2011, 07:38:31 am »

Name: The Tullius Family
Resources: 20 Tibers
Imperial Favor: 3
Businesses: Limestone Quarry (+10T), Olive Plantation (+5T), One small fishing ship (+5T)
Positions: N/A
Senators: 1

Business Action:  None.

Senatorial Action:
I see that the wall has insufficient support at this time.  Let us keep this vital civic project in our minds, though.

As for the Etruscans, I say that we send 1500 Legionnaires and all the auxiliaries in an effort to push them back from the borders of Rome, taking slaves as we go.

On that note, Emperor, I have another proposal.  If you can grant me land in a good central location, I will start the construction of a majestic Colosseum to truly showcase the glory of Rome.  We can stage gladiatorial combat using the Etruscan slaves we capture.  Should you grant me this land, I will see to the construction personally.

Saving money for now, hoping to get a primo spot to build the Colosseum.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2011, 07:42:53 am »

"Do the Tullius object to Augustine help in constructing the Colosseum? The costs will undoubtly be astronomical, and we would be glad to help. Also, our masterwork bronze statuary can be used to beautify it before the eyes of the Empire. "
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2011, 08:40:46 am »

Can additional players join?  Perhaps starting as more minor families without the political influence but with the money to try and get some?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19