Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome  (Read 16339 times)

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:03:01 pm »

This is a game where you play as the most prominent families of the Roman Empire.  Your goal is to influence events to your own personal favor while preventing the downfall of the Empire.

The Emperor is controlled by the GM <-Me for the sake of the emperor acting suitably emperor like.  (Expect a Nero to go off and mess things up every so often.)  A player can temporarily seize the purple sash and be emperor in an attempt to swag massive personal gain, however this will cause events that will be massively detrimental to the empire and probably get all the other players to remove them in due time.

We will start with seven families.  (There will be opportunities for new players later in the game. Specifically I'll want people to lead Carthage and Sparticus's rebellion and other new events.)

Post families like this:
------------
Name:
Resources:  (Money, slaves, tradegoods, imperial favor points)
Businesses:  (Type, income, location) (also total income per turn)
Positions:
Senators:

------------

You will need to keep this updated and add it to each of your posts in this topic to keep everyone informed of what you have.

Everyone starts with 100 Tibers!  (Money)
Everyone has 1 senator! (Actions per turn)

Your action for the first turn is to buy your first business.  Tell me what you want (example: copper mine, grain farm, vineyard, olive orchard, potters guild, etc)  And tell me how much of your current money you want to invest trying to get it.  (Note we are starting in the bronze age so don't get far afield from historical industries.)
Once we have seven players I will announce the income of these ventures and we begin the proper game.

Then you can use you senatorial actions to do things like lobby for war, whip up the mob, found gladiator schools, try to buy new positions, build civic works, etc (really this is up to you!).  There are two routes to power: 1. Your own wealth 2. Imperial favor.  Keep in mind that the first provincial governors will get massive economic boosts so you want the emperor to like you.  Imperial favor is what gets you generalship of legions and entrance into the consulate so you would do well to cultivate it.

Now for the last information.

The Emperor is Numitor!  He wants to conquer new lands to gain more riches for Rome.  He cares little for trade but does encourage a level of civic works.  As he is the founding Emperor he is not crazy or decadent and is fairly competent.  Keep in mind that he will not live forever though.

The Empire has 3 legions of 1000 men each.

They carry bronze tipped spears and medium wood shields.  They are a civilian militia.  They wear leather curiass and helmets.  They can only fight in a phalanx formation.

The Empire does not have enough horses to train Calvary.  Light archers can also be trained.  Currently the empire can train 500 troops per turn. 
The Empire has 15000 Tibers.  It earns 500 Tibers a turn in taxes.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u265/zen888/RomaeTurn1-1.jpg

This is the map of the Empire at this time.  Warning VERY LARGE.

The biggest threat to the Empire is the Etruscans, who live in the north.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:16:50 pm by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPQR-Seven Hills and Families of Rome
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:12:15 pm »

Sounds fun, in.

First action:
Spend 80 Tibers starting a weapon smithing business (and the resources it needs to make bronze tipped spears and arrows).

On hastati

The Torir family first rose to power under the wise rule of Emperor Numitor. Nirur, a new arrival from south of the city, managed to use his charisma to get elected as a senator, barely, and promptly invested much of his inheritance into a workshop for the production of spears and arrows.

---------------

Name: Torir Family
Resources:  100 Tibers
Businesses:  -
Positions: -
Senators: 1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:02:49 pm by Nirur Torir »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 03:21:42 pm »

bloooh
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:12:40 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:24:25 pm »

From the plains come the Decia Equus.

------------
Name: Decia Equus
Businesses:  None
Positions: None
------------

75 Tibers are spent to open a horse ranch in the region. We shall breed the mightiest horses in the land for our king.

Quintus Decia Equus take 25 to court Numitor. He will point out how we are working on making hourse so his armies can crush everyone around us... But we need more land...

(I was unsure of the borders of this time. If Rome does not own the alps yet I will adjust that. Also I was unsure how big a family this is. Like just a extended or the full blown third cousin twice removed.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:56:20 pm by Criptfeind »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 03:26:44 pm »

Yeah I don't plan on this being stressful.  I worked up the entire game system today anyway.  It mostly amounts to gaining resources and then trying to invest them in actions with GM decided results based on what seems ok (go emperor woo).  For example Nero would probably be plied easily with women, horses, and wine while others might like gladiatorial games or conquests.  I also plan to have random events and will probably have someone playing as the Roman mob later on.  (NOT THE MAFIA, I mean the boozed up indignant public of the capital.)

Edit:  Everyone has a senator!  Also check the map!  Also if you link a historical bit about the location and success of a historical Roman venture I will probably make it more successful! (more profits!)

Edit: 2 photo bucket has ganked my map.  I will upload a close shot of the region.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:29:52 pm by neotemplar »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:31:37 pm »

Name: Knavii Family

The Knavii Family consider themselves a breadbasket of the Empire! Senator Knavii is one of Rome's wealthiest farmers and a shrewd business man. He is a personable man with great ambition and a desire to help see the Republic grow. He is always willing to lend a hand or a favour to a friend in exchange for help later on. He has a great love for fine food and wine and will offer it to those in need.

50 Timbers to Grain Farming
50 Timbers to a beautiful Vineyard

Our Senator encourages The Emperor to subsidize farming so we may feed an even larger army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Rome_and_wine An article stating the importance of wine in Roman culture! It states that wine is 'democratic' and available to all from nobles to slaves. A necessity of life!

EDIT 2: If I can only purchase 1 business at start, please put all money into vineyard, thanks!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:15:14 pm by Knave »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 03:38:33 pm »

Well, you learn something new every day. I didn't know Rome itself had such poor mineral resources.

The Augustine family invests in the generous copper resources of the island of Cyprus!

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/cyco/hd_cyco.htm

For those who don't trust links

Cyprus was famous in antiquity for its copper resources. In fact the very word copper is derived from the Greek name for the island, Kupros
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 03:41:22 pm »

Well, you learn something new every day. I didn't know Rome itself had such poor mineral resources.

The Augustine family invests in the generous copper resources of the island of Cyprus!

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/cyco/hd_cyco.htm

For those who don't trust links

Cyprus was famous in antiquity for its copper resources. In fact the very word copper is derived from the Greek name for the island, Kupros

That'd be great. If we owned or politically controlled Cypress... :P   Also Your senator Action this turn is buying your business.  All else is gonna be ignored at the moment!  (I'm trying to keep this simple so I can know what's going on!)

For this turn I will allow splitting business ventures into several things.  As it is the start turn.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:44:03 pm by neotemplar »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 03:43:06 pm »

hmm, was that red circle on the map ALL of Rome? I was confused if we were starting at the Height of Rome and delaying the fall, or the Dawn of the Empire.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 03:45:02 pm »

hmm, was that red circle on the map ALL of Rome? I was confused if we were starting at the Height of Rome and delaying the fall, or the Dawn of the Empire.

Also note that this will probably not be historical expansion.  Given it would be boring if it was.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »

Ah... The mighty horse. One of the most important animals to Rome. Everything from cavalry, to farming, to sacrifices, to everything in between. Truly the most noble of animals. It was even used as money some times!

It is dawn. Numitor is the great grandfather of the first 'real' king of Rome if I remember correctly.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:48:38 pm »

Also I'm not gonna report the success/fail of anything till all 7 are in and the turn is complete!  Later I may simply skip people if they take way long but I think we only need 3 more people here.

Edit:  Unless I feel like pushing it forward later tonight.  I'll give it a few hours at least.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:54:47 pm by neotemplar »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »

Given that our senator is tied up for this turn, I changed my action.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 03:59:44 pm »

Isn't that still the time for the Roman Kingdom?

Also check this: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1513/the-republic-of-rome

Name: Aequus
Resources:  100 DenariiTiberii

Spend 80 in a Logging venture.
Lobby for setting up a tribune.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »

Isn't that still the time for the Roman Kingdom?

Also check this: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1513/the-republic-of-rome

Name: Aequus
Resources:  100 DenariiTiberii

Spend 80 in a Logging venture.
Lobby for setting up a tribune.

I actually considered doing a whole senate revolution thing before deciding it would be a pain in the ass and not fun.  BUT at least I considered it!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19