Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: MS buys Skype for 8.5 billion! - Ruins PC voice chat as a bonus  (Read 4373 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: MS buys Skype for 8.5 billion! - Ruins PC voice chat as a bonus
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 03:54:23 am »

Alternately Skype will just get bundled with the 360 and Windows, then be paid for with ad bars in the Skype window.

BUT THEN THE SKY WILL FALL.

Yeah, taking something free and adding ad bars seems to be a tried-and-true business strategy.  I'd be very surprised if the future for Skype doesn't involve ad bars.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 05:43:32 am »

I'm still doubting the feasibility of ad bars.

Aren't these ignored automatically by people?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 05:58:03 am »

You'd be surprised how rarely Internet-ad people actually realize that.  But it doesn't really matter.  Everything that has ever been free, then embraced ads, eventually gave way to a pay-plan and ads.  Just see cable-TV, radio worth listening to, or any Internet service provider from before 1999.  YouTube is just around the corner from charging for uploads, mark my words.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 06:11:31 am »

Has nobody ever heard of Mumble?
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 07:32:54 am »

There is no way they will make thier money back on this. Microsoft seems to have been plagued by bad management for years now.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 08:19:29 am »

I don't even know anyone who uses AIM or ICQ anymore because of how annoying the ad bars got. Like most people I would rather PAY for something than have to deal with some ad bars. Everyone I've every known has switched over to gtalk to avoid them, and the only people I know still on the AIM network connect through a third-party client.

Of course, the TYPE of ad bar is important - AIM's problem was insisting on the type that talk and move, I think. Those are terrible, at least when people don't expect them. They are still big thanks to momentum, of course, but it doesn't look like it will last.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:21:49 am by GlyphGryph »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 01:03:09 pm »

I would rather PAY for something than have to deal with some ad bars.

Will you pay me to not pm you screenshots of adbars?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 01:54:59 pm »

I'm still doubting the feasibility of ad bars.

Basic marketing theory is that nothing can be totally ignored by people.  While the viewer may consciously ignore the adbar, they are subconsciously reading and absorbing the message of the adbar.  So while the person doesn't know it, they eventually desire whatever is being advertised.

Granted, most people are not so weak-willed as to fall for the adbar trap, but it apparently works some of the time, and thus advertisers continue to support it.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 02:31:08 pm »

Basic marketing theory is that nothing can be totally ignored by people.  While the viewer may consciously ignore the adbar, they are subconsciously reading and absorbing the message of the adbar.  So while the person doesn't know it, they eventually desire whatever is being advertised.

Granted, most people are not so weak-willed as to fall for the adbar trap, but it apparently works some of the time, and thus advertisers continue to support it.
I wonder what kind of school you go to where such things are considered "basic marketing theory".

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2011, 03:16:55 pm »

I don't know about "basic" but we discussed it at length in marketing modules at university.

Anyhow, theregister.com had a nice speculation piece about the future for Micro$kype -

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/10/microsoft_buys_skype1/

...most of the future plans are on page 3.

I usually hold the Reg in high regard, but they did post a story about bees and mobile phones earlier today that was a complete load of sensationalist bullshit. Anyhow, I digress.

Ads are likely, as is inclusion into xbox. Also their enterprise software will benefit, like Lync.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 03:20:39 pm »

I like this quote:
"We own a verb!"

I should make that my dream goal too. :P One day I will own a verb as well!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 05:33:29 pm »

A slightly less Orwellian logic for ads is that even though people try to ignore ads, they remember them and that they exist. So when you say "I want a hamburger, who has hamburgers?" McDonald's comes to mind, just because the ads make them well-known, even if the ad doesn't make you rush out and buy a hamburger. In other words, just brand awareness.

...unless the ad is REALLY annoying and you make a mental note to consciously avoid a company and its subsidiaries.  ;D
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, 11:18:16 pm »

I usually hold the Reg in high regard, but they did post a story about bees and mobile phones earlier today that was a complete load of sensationalist bullshit. Anyhow, I digress.

Funny, I usually don't hold TheRegister in much regard, however the bee story is, in fact just more recent reporting of a hypothesis that's been considered as a cause for years now.

Article from 2007 about the same phenomena: http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/are-mobile-phones-wiping-out-our-bees-444768.html

</digression>

In regards to Skype, I hope it doesn't change much for us normal users. From that article it seems as if they're just going to push for it to be put on phones in a more friendly way and market it better to business users.

Edit: And the 360, of course, which I don't really care much about.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:19:47 pm by sluissa »

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2011, 02:38:20 am »

With that type of advertiseing I think it's a case of throwing as much poo at the wall as you can and seeing what sticks. It's not really hard to see how it works, mass audience and cheap to spam. It's not really very profitable though which is why people have had trouble monetising a lot of the internet.
Pages: 1 2 [3]