Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I threw all pets to volcano and...  (Read 2260 times)

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I threw all pets to volcano and...
« on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:23 am »

All migrant waves keep taking their annoying pets to my fortress to consume fps, so I make pen for them on the bridge that leads to my fortress (its over volcano, handy for sieges). And pull the lever and ten or more pets are gone...

Nice now my pet problems are solved, it's lot easier nowadays with pen/pastures  :) In earlier versions I have had to make overly complex pet-killing traps to get rid of them.

...but what is going on later? There is spam of Urist McSome cancels give food: animal inaccessible ... over and over again. I check all my animals from 'u'nits screen and they are all okay, i can't find any hungry animal anywhere?

Well, I turned temperature off at some point earlier - to boost fps, maybe this has something to do with it causing some things to stay alive even if I throw them to volcano? So I put temperature back on, but announcement spam keeps going still...

What is going on? Could it be possible that when temperature was off and I dropped huge bunch of pet animals to volcano they collided to something solid and to each other and someone stayed live and crawled somewhere safe from magma and now is living but starving somewhere or is this some kind of bug?

It could also be that I have not used enough magma to solve this problem, so I threw almost all other animals to volcano also, just in case some of them was hungry. Maybe I should to throw all dwarfs to magma also so that they stop wanting to give food to some mysterious animal which is nowhere to be seen.   :-\

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I threw all pets to volcano and...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 03:58:56 am »

Check the announcements.  If it's just one dwarf with a pet, you can toss him more easily than tossing a whole fort-full.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 04:28:25 am »

It was many dwarves, though now when few seasons have gone it seems to be stopped, maybe it starved finally.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-edit-

Oh, maybe I was wrong, announcements continue still...

But for now its only one dwarf Surgeon Ingiz Atiromet.

In his relations screen pet is listed, but weirdly it don't allow me to zoom into it?!?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 06:40:13 am by Urk »

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 07:09:31 am »

Sorry for double post, but this is weird enough for it  ???

So I throw pet of this surgeon Ingiz Atiromet to volcano and he is been trying to bring food to his pet for about two game years now...

I check his relations screen and pet is listed here, but I cannot zoom to it, though I can 'v'iew it - and if I do I saw this:

And still after two game years I keep seeing this announcement over and over again...  ::)

He is surgeon after all, so maybe he somehow got saved his pet's lower body from volcano and then put it together and hid it under his bed or something, but now he has problems with feeding it because it does not have head - which supposedly is connected to upper body? And maybe goat does not understand that it is supposed to be dead because it don't have brains anymore ::)

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:32:05 am »

All dead have that entry in their description no matter what. The goat is surely dead.
Also, dwarves shouldn't be attempting to feed their pets or any other animals at all. If he is, this probably means some sort of a bug.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 07:43:11 am »

All dead have that entry in their description no matter what. The goat is surely dead.
Also, dwarves shouldn't be attempting to feed their pets or any other animals at all. If he is, this probably means some sort of a bug.
Dwarves feeding their pets is a feature - the fact that he's trying to feed a dead pet is the bug.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:48:50 am »

Dwarves feeding their pets is a feature - the fact that he's trying to feed a dead pet is the bug.

Are you sure it's a feature, not a !!feature!! or something?
i'm asking because i remember many many grazer pets starving to the death in my fortresses since .19 and no dwarf ever gave a shit.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 07:51:30 am »

Ok, thanks for info.

Are you sure? I think I have sometimes seen that if grazer is pet for someone and it is starving then said dwarf brings food for it from good stockpile.

Bringing food for dead pet is probably bug(though it would be interesting psychological trauma feature also).

Maybe someone with admins could transfer this thread to bug reports and change title to something more descriptive like "Dwarf tries to brink food to dead pet" or something?

-edit-
My df version is 0.31.25
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:55:21 am by Urk »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 08:03:15 am »

Ok, thanks for info.

Are you sure? I think I have sometimes seen that if grazer is pet for someone and it is starving then said dwarf brings food for it from good stockpile.

Bringing food for dead pet is probably bug(though it would be interesting psychological trauma feature also).

Maybe someone with admins could transfer this thread to bug reports and change title to something more descriptive like "Dwarf tries to brink food to dead pet" or something?

-edit-
My df version is 0.31.25

Well, i never researched it purposefully and thoroughly, so i guess i cannot be absolutely sure about it.

However, what i am sure about is that i had grazer pets die from hunger in my fortress and it was never preceeded by any sort of "can't feed my pussy pet Urist McAlpaca" spam.

I guess the topic demands some research because if dwarfs are now intended to feed their pets that means we can now have War Elephants and War Rhinos.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:40:55 am »

-edit-
My df version is 0.31.25
Actually the action needed is for you to write a report on the mantis bugtracker (see main page for link) and then optionally link this thread. Preferably have a save at hand to upload too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:47:49 am »

I did small test.

I put cow to chains in stone room with no grass.

It seems you cannot give animal as a pet to anyone you want unless its trained war animal - like war elephant...

Anyway, I put it available to take as a pet.

...and waited...

After some time my butcher decided to take it as a pet. He then got "release animal"-job or something and get to cow and released it from chain, then he got "give food"-job and proceeded to food stocpile and take one "two humped camel tripe" and moved next to cow (which is now following butcher around) and after that cow was not hungry anymore.

So it seems that:
- owner of grazer pet will get "give food" job if animal is hungry
- you can feed meat to grazers, probably all kind of food to any animal?
- grazer without owner will starve unless it can eat itself

So I can make cow factory which feeds them meat from slaughtered cows, maybe we can mod in mad cow disease... Too bad you cannot slaughter pets.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 08:54:11 am »

I did small test.

I put cow to chains in stone room with no grass.

It seems you cannot give animal as a pet to anyone you want unless its trained war animal - like war elephant...

Anyway, I put it available to take as a pet.

...and waited...

After some time my butcher decided to take it as a pet. He then got "release animal"-job or something and get to cow and released it from chain, then he got "give food"-job and proceeded to food stocpile and take one "two humped camel tripe" and moved next to cow (which is now following butcher around) and after that cow was not hungry anymore.

So it seems that:
- owner of grazer pet will get "give food" job if animal is hungry
- you can feed meat to grazers, probably all kind of food to any animal?
- grazer without owner will starve unless it can eat itself

So I can make cow factory which feeds them meat from slaughtered cows, maybe we can mod in mad cow disease... Too bad you cannot slaughter pets.

That's awesome! have you tried it with assigned war animals? if they are fed, too, than dwarves can have war rhinos and keep them fed!
Also, did he get any points in animal caretaker skill?

Urk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:06:32 am »

That's awesome! have you tried it with assigned war animals? if they are fed, too, than dwarves can have war rhinos and keep them fed!
Also, did he get any points in animal caretaker skill?

I don't have trainable animals which are also grazers in this fortress, only dogs - but it really is worthy !!SCIENCE!! project if I get some such animals.

I think he did not get any skills for it, he has some animal trainer skills but he had them before.

-edit-

I got one war elephant trained and assigned it to someone, unfortunately it did not get food and starved. Maybe pet-owner relationship should happen spontaneously for feeding to work?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 10:41:23 am by Urk »