Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Sometimes I think I'm the only one who...  (Read 3757 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think I'm the only one who...
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:05:07 am »

Do you ever get the feeling that something you enjoy is simply not appreciated as much as it should be? That the masses are ignorant or not understanding? That no one appreciates the beauty to be found in some everyday occurrence or some exotic delicacy? Do you have a passion that earns you only strange looks when you try to discuss it with others?

Well, this is the thread to discuss it!

Sometimes... sometimes I get the feeling I am the only person in the world who likes making lightning waves with their blankets when they are bored at night. Static spark cascades on dry winter nights are one of my life's best little pleasures, it it upsets me that I've never met anyone who appreciates it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes I think I'm the only one who...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 12:07:36 am »

No one seems to like long periods of total silence but me. I've gone days without speaking a single word, usually without intent to do so, but it seems like everyone else goes stir-crazy if they have to sit in silence for ten minutes, as if they have to constantly hear the sound of their own voice.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:10:30 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:13:36 am »

You would hate me soo much MetalSlimeHunt. As I have a tendency to talk to myself and pace all the time.

As for the answer, Yes Glyph there are a lot of things I think are underappreciated.

Such as Dry Humor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:15:29 am »

I spin around in circles when I can't understand the text I'm reading, as I read.

It helps.

My family is also pretty anti-math.  They always want to know when I'm going to start studying something useful or interesting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:03 am »

I spin around in circles when I can't understand the text I'm reading, as I read.

It helps.

My family is also pretty anti-math.  They always want to know when I'm going to start studying something useful or interesting.

I don't spin around in my house because my Mom gets worried I have a mental illness because she read an article saying that children spinning around is a sign of downsyndrome.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:51 am »

I take it the only thing keeping them alive is the fact that they're family?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:19:34 am »

You would hate me soo much MetalSlimeHunt. As I have a tendency to talk to myself and pace all the time.
I do pretty much the same thing, just without actually vocalizing as I get caught up in complex daydreams and walk around my residence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:33 am »

I take it the only thing keeping them alive is the fact that they're family?

I'm kind of preconditioned to take that, and a lot of other things, from them >_>  When I was in engineering, they'd make fun of me if I couldn't figure out how to assemble something, or whatever; and they make fun of me for my grades.  All kinds of things like that.

I'm much more passive in real life than I am on the internet, with anyone I feel uncomfortable around.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:55 am »

When I think deeply, I walk around a LOT.

For some reason, it tends to creep some people out.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 12:23:04 am »

I can't use a normal drawing pad for drawing - I have to have something abnormal as the backing, such as a lab book, a shoebox, notecards, my knee.... list goes on. Thus, I usually end up using printer paper.

Also, I am the only person to my knowledge to have such a strange set of seemingly non-sequitur thought processes. But they do lead to some very interesting stories that develop in my head...
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 12:25:06 am »

No one seems to like long periods of total silence but me. I've gone days without speaking a single word, usually without intent to do so, but it seems like everyone else goes stir-crazy if they have to sit in silence for ten minutes, as if they have to constantly hear the sound of their own voice.

Man, I certainly wouldn't mind being able to do this, and I have done it occasionally, but I'm not sure if this includes other means of communication like writing. If you just mean no communication at all... yeah, my mind quickly starts kicking into overdrive and making up for the lack of conversation. Speaking out loud helps me keep focus in much the same way writing does, so I'll often do it during a task.

I don't spin around, but I certainly pace. My house has a lot of doorways that allow me to have a route from kitchen to bedroom to living room in a pretty big circle, which is just wonderful. If I'm talking on the phone I absolutely HAVE to pace, so this is a godsend since pacing back and forth gets annoying. I definitely find it helps me think when working on difficult problem (supposedly, any motion at all helps and that's why treadmill desks are such good investments)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:17 am »

I still wonder if I'm the only one that barges into topics toady just posted in hoping to see another ban. I really don't know why I fixate on wanting to see that so much.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:48 am »

So... when are you going to start studying something useful or interesting? Like, what are you going to do with a math degree? Accounting or finance? Don't you know there's no money in that! If you were smart, like me, you would do something with a bit more of a stable career future, like Drama.

Nobody else appreciates seasoned verbal debate anymore. I can hardly find anybody who won't cry when they have to discuss something with me.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:00 am »

I do pretty much the same thing, just without actually vocalizing as I get caught up in complex daydreams and walk around my residence.
Provided I have the clearance (IE- nobody nearby within an earshot), I tend to go on soliloquies about all sorts of things. Sometimes I do it to think out loud and free up available thinking space in my mind (where hearing my voice in my head takes up some of that said space), or to state quotes or have discussions with myself about certain things. Really helps with those long-ass boring days at work. It also helps with my developing ideas to apply to other things. At least I'm not the only one that does this and gets weird looks.

Another thing I tend to do (I think I mentioned it before), I still tend to interact with my thoughts with my hands. Like when I'm designing a ship or weapon or something. It helps give me a good "feel" for what the idea is I'm working on. That also helped me design a few things, compose battle scenarios, and so on. It's a bit odd that I still do this as an adult, but it still works and keeps my imagination working.

Also, I am the only person to my knowledge to have such a strange set of seemingly non-sequitur thought processes. But they do lead to some very interesting stories that develop in my head...
That describes both statements above. You're not alone. Hell, I've developed an entire universe made up of non-sequiturs. It's not a place for the sane.

I still wonder if I'm the only one that barges into topics toady just posted in hoping to see another ban. I really don't know why I fixate on wanting to see that so much.
Believe it or not, I do the same thing, more out of curiosity however. I just want to see what they did to piss him or ThreeToe off.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:35:12 am by Itnetlolor »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 12:35:02 am »

That describes both statements above. You're not alone. Hell, I've developed an entire universe made up on non-sequiturs. It's not a place for the sane.
Sanity? ...You DO know that most people get to B12 through DF, right? We don't know what sanity is down here.

And I've developed an entire series of multiverses based on only connections made in my head between various objects. It's not exactly a happy place.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:37:37 am by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5