Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: What other "Secrets" would you like to see?  (Read 9214 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: What other "Secrets" would you like to see?
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 04:44:56 pm »

I'd like to see some sort of elevator. Or at least a platform that can be raised or lowered with gears.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 04:46:19 pm »

Movable fortress parts are already planned, but likely to come with or after the Army Arc, which will mean quite a while.  They're also very likely to be common knowledge, though I have no proof of this.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 04:57:03 pm »

I remember a TreeToe story about elves forging their wooden swords in rivers over several years, making them hard as steel. This, I'd like to see.

All kinds of magic would fit well under secrets as well. I just hope it won't become mundande or too easilly acessible. I'd like it if they are really random secret so one player could say "I learned how to control the elements with my mind!", and other players would think that was cool, not having it happened to themselves a dozen times already.
"It's unpossible!"

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 04:57:47 pm »

I do NOT want fire dwarves.  I experimented with them in Genesis mod, that one fire-breathing caste.  Honey badger shows up, bum-rushes your fort going for your food.  Random dwarf blows fire at it.  Farmland set on fire.  Farmer set on fire.  Farmer's bed set on fire.  Farmer's wife set on fire.  Booze stockpile set on fire.  Goblins sit at the edge of the fort and say "aw, someone got here first!"

Didn't you had !!FUN!! ?

And I had a short-lived fort with modded dragons once. While not activated in the military, they fled from a GCS and didn't breathed fire at it. While still having the [LIKES_FIGHTING] tag on them :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:00:22 pm by Naryar »

Balistic604

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »

I would like to see the ability to create some sort of holy metal. It would either instantly kill evil aligned creatures or give them some sort of syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress: The only place you'll find complaints about NOT dying.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2011, 07:27:51 pm »

I would like to see the ability to create some sort of holy metal. It would either instantly kill evil aligned creatures or give them some sort of syndrome.

Derived from this idea; There cold be secrets that would counter curses. Through an incantation or some kind of power imbued in an item. Just like you said, a weapon that would lift the undead curse from anyone it touched. It would be an awesome artifact, and every world leader in the world would want to be in control of it.
"It's unpossible!"

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 07:45:03 pm »

Pretty sure someone else already said this but Strand Extraction as a secret would be wonderful. It always seemed odd to me that, if you know what you're doin, you can have adamantine production going by the end of the first year. Feels like it should take some extra effort, and that seems to fit like a glove.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 01:27:21 am »

The ability to learn the already existing secret (necromancy) as an adventurer.

Because let's face it. Most adventurers are omni-cidal psychotic maniacs anyway.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2011, 12:29:44 pm »

The secret and dread art of efficiently and quickly removing the ten page thick pools of blood and vomit.

Or maybe animate them into sludge monsters for extra !!Fun!!.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2011, 12:46:24 pm »

Gunpower & poisons (product of:), alchemy, dowsing/prospecting (legit dfreveal plz :P)
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2011, 01:08:02 pm »

Gotta say...
I just want a ladder. :/

And no one can convince me I don't need one. Anyone who tries hasn't thought of everything a ladder could do.

Cant a set of up/down stairs do pretty much everything a ladder can??
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2011, 01:09:17 pm »

I want some effects for every sphere, so they can be combined into profoundly silly things -- like a god of rainbows and decay giving me the power to release an unholy plague that turns people's skin bright color... and causes their flesh to slowly rot off.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2011, 01:15:52 pm »

I think golems is the next step after necromancy. Created by strange moods and require secrets to give life to.

After that, I would like to see the secrets involve some sort of rituals. I believe that right now it is just that a god gives you this secret, then you have this power. I would like some ingredients to be gathered and boiled, some animals sacrificed, or souls harvested.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2011, 02:09:50 pm »

The ability to build anachronisms, like blackpowder, firearms, steam engines or flying machines?
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

alexgoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:35 pm »

I'd like the ability to discover a secret in adventure mode, and subsequently being able to create a new civilisation based around the secret you've discovered. If they survive your adventurer becomes the first King (or Queen) of the newly created civ, and any companions they have with them at the time become your starting dwarfs.

Some secrets I'd like to see...

Instead of the dungeon master, be made the guardians of a particular species by a demon. You gain the ability to train that species but if you kill them, or fail to protect them, you will be attacked by the demon and lots of whatever creature it is.

Shapeshifting (Possibly linked with above)

Golems. Possibly requiring a life as in Dragon Age.

Electricity. Nothing to complex, probably just for lighting. Linked from waterwheels/windmills with cables the same as levers with mechanisms.

I'd also like to see different fighting style passed down, which give bonuses to different stats of the dwarf (e.g. better dodging). These could be 'invented' occasionally when someone enters a martial trance. Almost like artifacts for soldiers.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7