Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: What other "Secrets" would you like to see?  (Read 9220 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: What other "Secrets" would you like to see?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2011, 08:11:02 pm »

The ultimate dwarven skill - Living inside magma.

I think that a technology system would be pretty cool. It's basically the same as the secrets, but everyone has to research or discover them before they can do certain things. For example, each civilization learns on its own. One Dwarf civ may have steelcrafting, another may only have bronzeworking but had learned expert woodcraft from the elves earlier in worldgen.

After you've started a fortress, you can build a !!Science!! workshop, where Scientists experiment with different ideas to create new objects and materials. Low experience has a chance of !!Accidents!!, high experience speeds research.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 08:30:17 pm »

Shapeshifting.
Spare a megabeast's life, and it'll teach you some of its powers--firebreath, regeneration (once hydras grow back their heads), bronzeflesh, flight (from rocs and maybe dragons), something having to do with syndromes (for titans/FBs), etc.
Exorcism.
Taming/Training undead.
As above, but with clowns.
Mind control (?).
Creating gold/steel/CC/etc from nothing. Or even infinite microcline.
Summoning magma into pits. Or water. Learning both would be awesome. Infinite obsidian!
Summon Meteor. Summon Oversized Icicle.
Turn common stone into *gold crafts*. Or at least -stone crafts- into +stone crafts+.
Turn water into *dwarven wine*.
Floods. This is one of many that would be awesome in worldgen.
Fire immunity. Cold immunity. Goblinite immunity. Copper immunity.
Immunity to some other syndrome that makes you immune to the first one, but both have negative effects and are contracted in similar ways that are available at the same time. A "lesser of two evils" thing.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21:46 pm »

I love the idea of secrets; I would like to see something similar for artifacts. As it stands right now, they are created and then when the fortress crumbles they just lie in the ruins forever unless a player-adventurer picks them up. I would love to see more artifacts produced during worldgen and then:

- being "inherited" by descendents of the crafter, or
- being passed down to heirs in an entity ruler's family and included in dowries, or
- serve as instruments of office; e.g. a ring that is passed from commander of the guard to commander of the guard as the person holding the office changes, or
- being coveted, sold, stolen, seized, or
- being carried off as booty by invaders and monsters, or
- becoming the destination for pilgrimages by appropriate dwarves; e.g. millers making pilgrimages to see artifact millstones or worshippers of a diety making pilgrimages to see an artifact with their diety's image on it
- being lost, forgotten, or buried only to be rediscovered hundreds of years later (maybe as a result of artifacts having a magical property that makes them 'want' to be found, like the One Ring

especially useful or valuable artifacts would leave a burning swathe through legends mode, inciting wars, betrayals, quests, etc. More mundane artifacts would be family heirlooms; it would be cool to see a migrant arrive carrying her great-grandfather's artifact cedar chest. This could make even "worthless" craft artifacts more interesting since they would be the possessions of specific dwarves rather than of the fortress as a whole. And perhaps her neighbor could even have a combination of character traits that would incite him to try to steal it from her...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 12:55:49 am »

In that order, the secret of not deconstructing or channeling floor right under someone else's feet, the secret of building walls and floodgates while standing on the right side, the secret of not dodging into water, the secret of not dodging into 2+ z-levels falls, the secret of shooting the goddamn crossbows instead of hitting shit with them, and the secret of not taking breaks when you need to diagnose patients or pull levers.
So in other words, the Secret of flight, unlimited stamina and conjuring magic bolts. But that's inconvenient as you'd need to somehow get every dwarf to read the damn slab. So then, Secret of gravity control or at least, forced levitation.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 04:02:35 am »

In that order, the secret of not deconstructing or channeling floor right under someone else's feet, the secret of building walls and floodgates while standing on the right side, the secret of not dodging into water, the secret of not dodging into 2+ z-levels falls, the secret of shooting the goddamn crossbows instead of hitting shit with them, and the secret of not taking breaks when you need to diagnose patients or pull levers.
So in other words, the Secret of flight, unlimited stamina and conjuring magic bolts. But that's inconvenient as you'd need to somehow get every dwarf to read the damn slab. So then, Secret of gravity control or at least, forced levitation.
Just the Secret of human-like intelligence is enough. I don't even mind breaks that much, I just figure they have powerful unions instead.  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2011, 05:25:05 am »

I for one hope exotic beast taming becomes a secret.

Waiting for a freaking Dungeon Master who will likely never show up is a bore.

Also, I hope there's a separate [EXOTIC] beast tag, and [MYTHIC] beast tag.

Exotic for exotic animals, and mythic for megabeasts and other rarities.

Also, something like "beast-tongue", would be a nice secret.

Once you unlock it, you can select a dwarf in the nobles menu to be your beast liason, who can attempt to communicate with captured sentient beasts. If your dwarf is successful (I'd guess it would be based upon interaction skills.) then the captured sentient being will be turned to friendly, and can be released. If they fail, the captured sentient enters a state where they are easily enraged, and you can't attempt this again on them.

Just a couple of kooky ideas I'd love to see.

[Mainly, I just hate having to turn off the [EXOTIC] tags, and create self imposed guidelines for taming exotic beasts.]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:27:29 am by DoctorMonch »
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:35 am »

I think that possesion moods should have the possibility of creating an item which imparts a secret.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, 05:57:14 am »

Just the Secret of human-like intelligence is enough. I don't even mind breaks that much, I just figure they have powerful unions instead.  :D
Are you really sure you want your dwarves to understand that you're buillding a kitten-powered self-destruct mechanism that will kill everyone in the fort?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, 06:01:18 am »

Are you really sure you want your dwarves to understand that you're buillding a kitten-powered self-destruct mechanism that will kill everyone in the fort?
[/quote
I don't build kitten-powered stuff, and I have enough trust in my dwarves or the environment to do the self-destructing part without extra planning on my part.
Next question?  ;D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, 02:31:39 pm »

I'd like more HFS around DF.

Here's one of my ideas:

You have discovered a curious Cavern. There is blood dripping from the ceiling.

Random Megabeast UNDEAD Roc: SCREEEECH

Dwarf: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-- *Chomp*

The Undead Roc bites Urist Mcunlucky in the throat. The severed piece sails off in an arc! Urist Mcunlucky has been eaten by the Undead Roc.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 02:39:23 pm »

I'd like more HFS around DF.

Here's one of my ideas:

You have discovered a curious Cavern. There is blood dripping from the ceiling.

Random Megabeast UNDEAD Roc: SCREEEECH

Dwarf: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-- *Chomp*

The Undead Roc bites Urist Mcunlucky in the throat. The severed piece sails off in an arc! Urist Mcunlucky has been eaten by the Undead Roc.
More variety would be welcome. Like different themes to the circus. We could have tentacles monsters back! Then we could flood the forums with inappropriate jokes involving tentacle demons that end up to be true.
 :P

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 02:52:37 pm »

Magic, obviously. With immortality being one aspect, necromancy another, pyromancy as mentioned a third, demon-controlling a fourth and so on.With it being a discoverable "secret", it'd be limited to a very few, which fits well to my feel of what magic should be - special and rare.

Technology outside of the race/culture specific one would also be cool. For instance, a dwarf civilization could discover halberds or blowguns, elves discovering copper crafting, (kobolds discovering irrigation and farming to survive legends <.<), and so on.

With them being rare "secrets" discoverable, they'd still not affect the general racial profile too much, but there would still be a lot more variety between various splinters of the race than currently, which would be a nice addition I feel.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 03:36:17 pm »

Necromancy / Healing, Water / Fire, Earth / Air, Dark / Light, all as mutually-exclusive magical spheres.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 04:28:16 pm »

Pyromancy would be pretty badass.

In fact, I want fire and earth half-elemental (AKA genasi) dwarves.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 04:29:56 pm by Naryar »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »

I do NOT want fire dwarves.  I experimented with them in Genesis mod, that one fire-breathing caste.  Honey badger shows up, bum-rushes your fort going for your food.  Random dwarf blows fire at it.  Farmland set on fire.  Farmer set on fire.  Farmer's bed set on fire.  Farmer's wife set on fire.  Booze stockpile set on fire.  Goblins sit at the edge of the fort and say "aw, someone got here first!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7