Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: What other "Secrets" would you like to see?  (Read 9216 times)

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What other "Secrets" would you like to see?
« on: May 09, 2011, 11:52:05 pm »

So front page, Toady has said that necromancy is what is defined as a "Secret", a packet of knowledge passed along that unlocks certain abilities.

What other kind of secrets would you like to see? I'm really excited for this new category of things and I hope it really gets fleshed out, and the player can access it as well.

I think in terms of Dwarf Fortress mode, we should be able to learn "Secrets" pertaining to manufacturing things like exotic weapons and such, maybe from diplomatic actions with the spoken race. Or learning how to make a fire belching statue after slaying a dragon of fire, things like that.

What do you guys think?

Ganondwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What other "Secrets" would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:59:51 pm »

Gotta say...
I just want a ladder. :/

And no one can convince me I don't need one. Anyone who tries hasn't thought of everything a ladder could do.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:06 am »

I want pyromancy.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:17:51 am »

Wonder if "Steel" will become a secret.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 12:20:23 am »

LOL Ladder or Rope would be nice, not a secret just you know, in the game so we dont have to do some dumb things.

And pyromancy in what form? Fireballs and what not?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 12:22:52 am »

Setting plump helmet men on fire to clean up after an FB, and putting them out when the contaminants have all been burned away.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:24:10 am »

I'd settle for a rope that can be cast down.  Either way, I'm hoping for production techniques!  Like, strand extraction could be a secret!  Or, filler alloys, that allow you to take a raw ore, hash it into 2 dusts using some appropriate filler material, and then melting both dusts into bars, allowing for twice the output.  Foreign weapon production isn't a bad idea either.  Honestly though the secrets method allows for a LOT more variables than normal raw modding, such that it's difficult to think of what all may be possible.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:23 am »

[random] Rope + Raising undead = thread necro [/random]

Lycantrophy, Berserker strength, Dopplegangers, Immortal Dwarves! Stone form. I don't know what I would teach the First Dwarf.
That said, this makes it almost like civilization, where each starting race has some special knowledge or units (like war elephants, roman legions and so on), and then you see how it all pans out.

Wow, all this makes me just wish it was easier to run the game to its utter limits on a normal pc. :(
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:29:42 am by parlor_tricks »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 12:27:49 am »

Alchemy that's actually working. (Without the need of mods.)
Perhaps the dungeon master noble will be a secret?
Altars on which one can actually communicate with the gods? (And they would in return require sacrifices of some kind? (Wealth, food, crafts, animals, or even sentient creatures?))

Most likely, mining and crafting things of Adamantine would become a secret.
Or.. Slade!  :o
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:30:59 am by Ultimuh »

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 12:30:45 am »

Haha exactly! I was really excited when he announced that, and lol @ Imiknorris I was reading that thread, crazy forever burning plump helmet men.

*Edit-Also, slade weaponry would be badass. Slade Warhammers-SO MUCH DEMONIC PAIN
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:35:59 am by Xelanthol »

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 01:18:27 am »

The secret of creating accursed items. The secret of being able to tell a dwarf to put a particular thing in a particular place without having to "construct" it. The secret of summoning ghosts. The secret of efficient GUI. All the really creepy stuff, really.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:56:35 am »

Pyromancy and shapeshifting, as well as berserker strength.

I would like berserkergang roughly like IRL. Send a particularly angry and immoderated dwarf in combat alone against a gobbo squad. Instead of entering a martial trance, he would enter a berserk rage, increasing speed and strength and rendering the dwarf immune to pain. After the rage has passed (probably depends on endurance), the dwarf would go unconscious and would need rest for a few months to recuperate from the muscle damage.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 02:38:16 am »

I would like berserkergang roughly like IRL. Send a particularly angry and immoderated dwarf in combat alone against a gobbo squad. Instead of entering a martial trance, he would enter a berserk rage, increasing speed and strength and rendering the dwarf immune to pain. After the rage has passed (probably depends on endurance), the dwarf would go unconscious and would need rest for a few months to recuperate from the muscle damage.
Or permanent shortening of lifespan.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 04:27:00 am »

It would be very interesting if Fey and Possesion modds created/activated a random secret technique in the dwarf instead of doing nothing.

< Urist McMetalcrafter Has been possessed! >

< Urist McMetalcrafter has learnt an Arcane technique! >

They wouldn't be legendary, just picked up a new skill.

*edit*
Im liking the Altar idea, you would requrie a certain level Arcitect and masons though i think, and depending on which god you built an alter to, would depend on what buffs you got - god of metal -> high worship = % chance of 2 bars from one ore or a +1 quality on all metal items produced? that kinda thing. Of course, failing to provide enough worship/sacrafice would result in Divine !!FUN!! of the Gods!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:34:53 am by hjd_uk »

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:53:53 am »

The current concept of secrets involves them being passed by some entity(god, demon or something).
I see it like this:
-Build an altar for a dwarven god, pick a priest, give offerings(maybe as priests demands?), receive secret.
or in adventure mode
-find a goblin tower, do some quests for the demon guy leading them, ??? , PROFIT!
I wonder if there will different levels of secrets in DF, like for example:
minor - how to make nicer beds!
major - how to breath fire!
Minors could be written down in to slabs, majors would be passed only verbally(though after thinking about it, an army of half dwarves half dragons would be epic ^^).
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7