Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: What other "Secrets" would you like to see?  (Read 9207 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: What other "Secrets" would you like to see?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 07:56:31 am »

I'd like to see possessed metalcrafters get 2 metal bars and craft them together, making a metal that has the effects of both and a randomly generated name.

Metals that fell into disuse and are only known by the dead. Or more accuratly, the people the dead possess.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:05:46 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 07:57:39 am »

(though after thinking about it, an army of half dwarves half dragons would be epic ^^).

Until a crundle comes up your central stairwell and you suddenly have a !!FORTRESS!! on your hands...
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

theSquirrelOfLoathing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 08:29:05 am »

Golems.

... of uncertain loyalties...

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 08:30:09 am »

Personally, i would like every reaction in the entire world to be a secret that needs to be researched or otherwise obtained during worldgen for you to be able to do it. Entites would then differ by knowledge their posess, and then elves would be elves not just because it's written so in their raws, but because of secrets and reactions they know.
Would be great if all entites started out identical and evolved during worldgen to obtain characteristic appearence, equipment and ethics.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 08:55:40 am »

The current concept of secrets involves them being passed by some entity(god, demon or something).
I see it like this:
-Build an altar for a dwarven god, pick a priest, give offerings(maybe as priests demands?), receive secret.
or in adventure mode
-find a goblin tower, do some quests for the demon guy leading them, ??? , PROFIT!
I wonder if there will different levels of secrets in DF, like for example:
minor - how to make nicer beds!
major - how to breath fire!
Minors could be written down in to slabs, majors would be passed only verbally(though after thinking about it, an army of half dwarves half dragons would be epic ^^).

Dwarves are already quite knowledgeable about spitting fire - it's just that the beards don't like it.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 09:16:02 am »

Demonology or something similar. Possibly a secret each for summoning special individual entities. Some might teach even more secrets - for a price, while others might perform specific tasks, or be barterable with for special gifts. And some might just be unpleasant and put curses on you for bothering them.

Exorcism. This could be a great way to allow defeating ghosts as an adventurer without actually making them combatable.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 09:30:40 am »

Taming individual exotic creatures.

Oh wait, I've already seen that one during worldgen.

(The point is, from what I understand, "secrets" already exist during worldgen, they just haven't been used very extensively up to this point.)
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 01:15:09 pm »

I really want to see Mood-Only crafts, which after the mood, that unit can produce that item.

An artifact hammer is nice, but dammit, I want something that's perfectly unique.

As far as other secrets go, I'd like to see certain special alloys for each race, which are secrets. Even if it's as silly as humans being the only ones with access to Billion at world gen. Also, I'd like it to be possible to learn the elves' morally appropriate woodcutting/crafting techniques. Obviously I'd like special buildings which are secret.

Though, more than anything, I think I'd like to see a Laboratory workshop, where secrets could be studied, in hopes of learning them.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 02:11:18 pm »

As far as other secrets go, I'd like to see certain special alloys for each race, which are secrets. Even if it's as silly as humans being the only ones with access to Billion at world gen. Also, I'd like it to be possible to learn the elves' morally appropriate woodcutting/crafting techniques. Obviously I'd like special buildings which are secret.
This is really easy to do and has been available for modders since a long time ago. I even made an alloy that requires spleens to forge. That's not how Secrets work (according to Toady's information thus far) - Secrets have a random chance of being discovered or not so it's less about "Race X gets This" and more "any Civ has a Y% chance for a key figure to get Z Trait". The traits just happen to include the ability to cast certain curses. I see nothing wrong with a Secret to let a key figure smelt some uberalloy or craft some uberweapon (e.g. living whips) and then have this knowledge be passed down by tablets. It's just you won't have any guarantee that a specific race will get it, never mind every civ of that race. Being written down also implies it can be stolen so other civs can learn it too.

Personally I'd prefer to see a Secret that makes the learner move 3 times faster than normal and grants him sladefists. Or maybe rot finger (he pokes you, YOU ROT) and a breath that effectively removes [THOUGHT] from the victims. Or feet that turns the target's tissue into a material that spontaneously combusts. There's no reason why all Secrets should be buffs either - e.g. a Secret that makes you forget every skill you have with a deadly dust attack that makes all victims also forget their skills.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 03:01:11 pm »

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:03:47 pm by Kestrel »
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »

I's like the secret to MAKE MY MARKS-DWARFS NOT GET THEMSELVES KILLED BY GOING TO THE WRONG SIDE OF THE WALL LIKE IDIOTS.

Also, it would be neat if a dwarf in a mood could make an artifact tablet that increases the skills or stats of the dwarf that uses it in exchange for small increments of other stats or maybe sanity. We should have a sanity stat.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 03:44:37 pm »

Secret of creating Adamant Colossus! Who fight AGAINST you and when killed, grants around 70-80 adamantine bars! and a statue and sword.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 06:17:34 pm »

Make it so that a adventurer from your civilization has to find a tablet, that then allows your civilization to build a special altar in Fortress mode. Also allows you to create a priest job, related to priests deity.
 So you get a new stockpile, mainly the alter, that items you mark as offer(similar to dump) are taken there, then disappear(complying with the Diety. i.e god of war needs weapons, armor, etc. When a certain value of the total offered goods have been offered, the priest gets a chance at a secret.
 Would need some sort of a downside to being a priest. Any ideas?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 06:30:18 pm »

In that order, the secret of not deconstructing or channeling floor right under someone else's feet, the secret of building walls and floodgates while standing on the right side, the secret of not dodging into water, the secret of not dodging into 2+ z-levels falls, the secret of shooting the goddamn crossbows instead of hitting shit with them, and the secret of not taking breaks when you need to diagnose patients or pull levers.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 07:00:31 pm »

Id like medical secrets like "Urist McMedical has learned to treat rotting flesh desease"

Either that or something simple like " 'The Rock' has learned to put his clothes away after wrestling"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7