Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Enclosed fishing?  (Read 4131 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enclosed fishing?
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:29:49 pm »

Sooo....how do I go about creating a protected fishing area that filters out all the gators in my river? I've already lost my initial fisherdude to them, and I want to be able to harvest the bounty of the waters without getting chomped. Bonus points if the fishing area also feeds my waterwheel stack so I can power magma pumps.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Enclosed fishing?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:32:24 pm »

Simple: Add a grate or fortification to filter out any undesirabled.

Better: Add a pump that pushes water into the fishing area and lets it flow out back into the river, making a sort of "pit stop" reservoir.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »

I'm not good with dwarven engineering, so I'll go simple. I've got a basic plan in place of a run that cuts across the map and drains off the edge, with the grates near the inflow blocking access from the gators. most of the run up to the waterwheels is uncovered for fishing, thus I can get fish in peace. With the river running mostly north-south, is there any advice for coaxing the most amount of fish into the run?
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 11:05:40 pm »

I don't think the amount of fish (or "fish") can be increased by different configurations. I don't fish usually, but once did an immigrant fish out a small murky pool stacks out of "raw turtle (3)" without any problem. Just let them fish while blocking wild animals by a grate or fortification, or you risk Fun.

Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:08:07 pm »

Allegedly, you can fish through a closed hatch, which should prevent fish-related cancel spam (carp, gar, shark, etc) but it will not prevent a gator coming up.  Similarly, a horizontal grate will prevent movement, but will allow fish to spam cancels.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »

well, moment of truth, the water is flowing as we speak, so if I f'ed something up, I'll know as my fortress floods(fortunaetly I've only built a little bit, so reclaim shouldn't be TOO hard)

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 11:22:56 pm »

BTW: Fortifications do NOT block movement of fish. Ooops, at least I noticed before any Fun was had by those hippos swimming around. Milkfish aren't that scary. Anyway, need to redesign my water source now...

Edit: Before any water (or magma) flowing projects, I usually add a floodgate or 2 to stop the water in case of emergency. You should consider doing the same.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:24:37 pm by Number4 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 11:26:34 pm »

water has reached the end of my drainpipe...and my fort isn't flooding! Cool! Now I need to focus on setting up my fort in earnest, wait for a useless immigrant to turn to fishing, set up temporary metalworks to turn iron into pump components and eventually plan out my magmaworks when I get my pumpstack going.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 11:32:31 pm »

Fish will be pushed through a fortification or grate by flowing water, but not if it's still.  Water in a river is always flowing.  You can do better by pumping water into a long narrow cistern that drops water back into the river, since fish can't swim through a pump.  Bonus points if you divert the entire river, then place cage traps, and allow the flow to resume.  You can easily make an aquarium this way!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:37:48 pm »

BTW: Fortifications do NOT block movement of fish. Ooops, at least I noticed before any Fun was had by those hippos swimming around. Milkfish aren't that scary. Anyway, need to redesign my water source now...

Edit: Before any water (or magma) flowing projects, I usually add a floodgate or 2 to stop the water in case of emergency. You should consider doing the same.
In case you weren't aware, hippos are typically considered to be more dangerous than crocs ... (at least, IRL they are)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:42:55 pm »

You can use an artifact grate to keep those nasty building destroyers out.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 11:55:28 pm »

ummm...do fish move diagonally? Because I'm getting no fish in my fish run.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 12:10:22 am »

"Fish" do.  "Aquatic vermin" which can be caught by fishing dwarves, don't need to.  Vermin don't obey the rules on movement, and will spawn wherever they please.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 12:12:17 am »

huh, so why aren't they spawning in my waterway then? do I need to wait a certain amount of time before they appear?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 12:27:51 am »

As with all things, it's weird and unpredictable, so give it time.  It may help to build a deep cistern for it, of standing water, if you haven't already.  To be honest, I never bothered with fishing, except I do know that vermin don't care about your walls.
Pages: [1] 2