Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Enclosed fishing?  (Read 4126 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Enclosed fishing?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 03:57:34 am »

get strict about where exactly they fish and station archers there.
gator meat, dude.

gator meat.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 05:47:06 am »

get strict about where exactly they fish and station archers there.
gator meat, dude.

gator meat.

hehe
Why fish if you have hippos!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 07:55:15 am »

Fishing is strange and unintuitive, and doesn't work like you think it does.

Vermin fish - the small creatures you see appearing and disappearing in your river - can move by teleportation.  They appear and disappear randomly in any body of water that is of the right biome for them to be found in.  They do not actually need to be capable of physically reaching a body of water in order to appear in it.  River fish will sometimes appear in isolated murky pools near the river, despite there being no way for them to have reached them.   It is therefore irrelevant how you're moving your water into your isolated fishing area - river fish may appear in it anyway.

However, just because you can see vermin-type fish creatures moving in a body of water, doesn't mean you can catch them.  Each biome has an invisible population counter for all creatures that may appear in that biome.  When you designate an area as a fishing zone, the game checks the biome that zone is located in to see if it has fish.  It does not matter where the water in that fishing zone came from, or if there are vermin fish swimming around in the water.  If you dig a fishing pond underground inside your fortress, the game will look at the underground biome population to see if you can fish there, even if you pump river water into your fishing pond.  Furthermore, when a dwarf performs the fishing task, what kind of "fish" he catches is determined by the biome population and not what kind of actual fish may be swimming around, so a dwarf fishing from an artificial indoor pond is at best going to catch turtles, even if the river is full of fish.

To have your fisherdwarves catch fish, they need to fish directly from the river, or from an artificial pond that's close enough to the river to be counted as part of the river biome.

My advice would be to catch or kill the gators, they're more worthwhile than the fish anyway.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 04:51:31 pm »

sO, if I have a pond directly beneath the river, would that count? the current fort I'm playing now has no gators this time
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 05:04:12 pm »

Fish will be pushed through a fortification or grate by flowing water, but not if it's still. 
In arena tests, fish can swim through a fortification filled with 7/7 non-flowing water.

You can use an artifact grate to keep those nasty building destroyers out.
Sadly, this is not quite true. The grate itself is indeed indestructible, but the building destroyer responds by ripping it off the wall (deconstructing it like a dwarf would).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »

Tame the alligators, make an alligator egg farm (be sure to forbid the eggs as soon as the female lays them/forbid alligator eggs in all your food stockpiles) and an alligator bomb. Release it against your next gobbo siege (when the gators are ADULT). Enjoy.
Pages: 1 [2]