Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Breakfastcudgels (a game of random death)  (Read 24292 times)

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastcudgels (a game of random death)
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »

Yes, we need BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:18 pm »

CrazyCow, having successfully learned how to read the near-illegible handwriting of Savs, returns to the transcription after a rest to his eyes, rendering the thoughts of this dwarf accessible to the rest of the fortress.

5 Hematite

Summer, the second favorite season of Rilem Buddedfuture.  The yokel broker dhokarena56 I instructed through the grace of Rilem Buddedfuture to procure as much wood as possible.  It seems all we had to trade them was one of our nice gold figurines, and they practically dropped everything we wanted at our feet as their eyes quivered, like babies, and drooled, also like babies, over this figurine.  Those idiots will probably build a small hut for it and worship it as their god or something.  Apparently they know nothing of Rilem Buddedfuture.  I also had the broker take all of their barrels and alcohol, because we have not enough (ever) of the former, and everyone knows that the servants (unknowing as they may yet be) of Rilem Buddedfuture need their alcohol, lest their bodies and labours go to waste.

18 Hematite

Some of the dwarves reported to me a series of high-pitched roars coming from one of the caverns.  The idiots couldn't decide on anything more concrete than that.  Whatever it is, we're safe from it.  We're not exposed from any of the caverns.

22 Hematite

Several dwarves wandered up to the fortress today, slack-jawed and staring at the temple under construction.  They almost wandered into the weapons traps.  UnFortunately, one of the masons stopped them from getting themselves killed.  Still, I suppose it's not all bad.  All deaths should be for Rilem Buddedfuture, who will ensure a bright, prosperous future for the fortress.  Especially once the temple is complete.  I had Elderont select a couple of dwarves to be drafted into the military.

15 Malachite

It seems some idiot dwarf recently ran babbling to the forges.  That's not unusual.  The others claim it is some kind of otherworldly possession.  There can be no possession except through Rilem Buddedfuture.  That must be it!  This is so momentous an undertaking, that the possessed dwarf has claimed a forge for his own.  The dwarves tell me that he will produce a work of great value, an artifact.  Such an item gains a life of its own.  Very well, Rilem Buddedfuture is telling me that another dwarf's life must be put into this artifact in order for it to gain that life.  I've long been preparing for such an occasion.  I will consult the list of dwarves and let fall my piece of obsidian.  The one which is chosen, as ordained by !goth, shall be our sacrifice.

Long did the piece of obsidian roll before it came to a stop over the name of Athel Nunurmonom, Woodcrafter.  Let us reopen the magma pit of old, such that the spirit of Athel, when he has been sacrificed, may escape into the artifact.

16 Malachite

After sleeping on it, I decided that it would be too suspicious to use the old one.  I will build a new magma sacrifice system for Athel.  Neither he nor any other dwarf will think twice to pulling a random lever so close to the magma.

20 Malachite

It is complete!  It is quite clumsy, yes, but I have hardly the sharpest tools, that is, dwarves, to work with.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

21 Malachite

The sacrifice went more or less as planned!  Athel was killed by the magma, and the very same day was finished the artifact.

Organtunnel the Dispersal of Teachers is a decadent silver toy hammer, worth 164400 urists by my estimate.

Verily, the sacrifice of Athel was the key to the project, which was long delayed by the lack of a spirit.  It shall be the centerpiece of the alter in the temple.

15 Galena

Humans have arrived to trade.  Let us see what they have to offer.  And let us hope that the yokel broker doesn't get something stupid like armour that is too large for the dwarves...

18 Galena

Acting on instinct, I assume, our yokel broker bought all the meat, fish, and cheese he could, as well as all the wood.  There is no shortage of that now, I expect.

23 Galena

With autumn just around the corner, progress on the temple has slowed.  I'm concerned that I will not be able to finish it for the coming of spring.  It seems more sacrifices are in order.

==============

// Hmm...  Well, that was the most inelegant magma sacrifice in the history of the world.  I've ruined the whole apparatus through lack of thought and experience.  Ah well.

Let's see...  I need to think of other ways to sacrifice.  And also, I think the way the temple's gonna work out is that dwarves will fall from its top to the ground, and most likely be impaled on spikes.  I have NO idea how to do that yet...  Suggestions?
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 04:18:02 pm »

You could always do trial-by-goblin for the sacrifice.  I think there's a bunch of caged prisoners.  Make a pit, mount the goblin cages in there, get a dwarf in, and PULL THE LEVER.  You could have a magma cleansing device to take out any stragglers =p

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 04:29:06 pm »

Eh, goblins my character considers defilers.  They wouldn't be worthy of sacrificing dwarves.  Is there a way to dump dwarves into pits?  Or do they have to be caged?

Ideally, I want to have something set up sort of like what you did, futility, at the magma.  Some grates attached to a lever.  How did you get that sacrificial dwarf to go into that little area?  Burrows?  I tried burrows and couldn't make it work...
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 04:38:16 pm »

Yeah I did burrows.  I did have some trouble with it, but if you disable all the labors on the dwarf and keep trying to assign them to a burrow, it eventually works.  Originally that wall area had a door that I locked after the dwarf went in.  I removed it and walled it off after to keep things like fire imps out (since my obsidian floodgates melted for some reason when I let the magma in). 

On another note, watch out FBs - I still have no idea how that one got in, since all the caverns look sealed off to me.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 04:46:57 pm »

Excellent, I'll do that, then!

Yeah, don't worry, the caverns are sealed.  It just happens that the parts that are explored will always show the FBs, even if they can't get to the fortress proper.  Unless we get an FB who decides to try to enter the fort through the well, we'll be fine.

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2011, 05:10:47 pm »

I had the caverns sealed and one got in somehow, something like 6 months after I got the notification.  The only way I figure is maybe it came up one of the magma ports for the smelters.  Anyways, be warned ;)

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2011, 03:35:46 pm »

The FB came through the well. I thought about that when I first built it, but didn't have the time to bridge it in case of emergencys. It would be a nice project for someone to wall off that section underwater so we could have a truly sealed cave well...

And btw, how many dwarfs are actually under my comand in the militia commander squad?

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2011, 04:14:26 pm »

I think there were two at the end of my year (casualties) =/

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2011, 04:49:58 pm »

There's just one dwarf under your command atm, Elderont.  I'll hopefully have the Autumn done tonight!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2011, 07:05:58 pm »

CrazyCow has now reached the half-way point in the vellum book.  He notices that the handwriting is becoming increasingly frenetic and hard to read.

22 Limestone

It has been quiet this month, praise be to Rilem Buddedfuture.  The building of the temple must have pleased her and !goth, the Trickster, who have kept at bay the goblins and kobolds. I have redoubled my efforts to build the temple.  I have committed many more dwarves to masonry and metalcrafting (that gold doesn't smelt itself!), and I hope to finish by the end of the year now.  Already, the central column is nearly finished!

24 Limestone

Our idiot mayor, who is also the yokel broker, dhokarena56, has decreed that the fortress must produce two "hungry head" leather items.  Whatever a hungry head is, I doubt that we will ever see one, as nobody in the fortress has heard of them, and the idiot mayor refuses to even tell us what the thing is.  Well, the idiot mayor IS an idiot.  There's no harm in ignoring him, I'm sure.  Though he HAS complained about poor living conditions lately...  I'll order a few gold statues in each of his rooms.

27 Limestone

Excellent!  More migrants are arriving!  More labourers and servants for Rilem Buddedfutures.  I will enlist in the military those that show aptitude, and the rest will be committed to masonry and metalcrafting for the temple's construction!

28 Limestone

Here, near the apogee of the fortress, I will make a record of our great military might.

The first squad, the Liberties of Theater, has two dwarves, and is headed by Elderont, Swordsdwarf.
The second squad, the Helmed Banners, has seven dwarves, and is headed by Asmel Rakustsazir, Axedwarf.
The third squad, the Chances of Theater, has nine dwarves, and is headed by Cog Akrulgusgash Al Niles, Hammerdwarf.
The fourth squad, the Gilded Tips, has five dwarves, and is headed by Dishmab Udkol, Axedwarf.

Our military thus stands at 23 dwarves strong, who train year-round to be better defenders of the fortress and of Rilem Buddedfuture.

15 Sandstone

Rilem Buddedfuture blessed us today with a baby boy, born to woodworker Zas Akumcatten.  This baby boy, Logem Alathniral, is a Blessing.  Soon after, Rilem Buddedfuture spoke to me.  "My Esteemed Faithplanter," she said to me, "This baby, the Blessing, he will be the gauge of this fortress' goodness.  For so long as he lives, alive and well, I will allow no harm to come upon the dwarves of Breakfastcudgels.  But beware, Faithplanter, for if he should be wounded or even killed, my wrath will be great, and your downfall will come swiftly and mercilessly."  I prostrated myself even lower and vowed to protect that baby with my life.  I will train some war dogs and assign them both to the mother and to the child.

15 Timber

The caravan from the Mountainhomes has arrived!  I will personally oversee the trading this time, to ensure that our yokel broker makes no silly acquisitions.

18 Timber

At last!  Rilem Buddedfuture has sent for me a test.  It took the caravan guard three days, but they finally managed to inform me that a large force of goblins trailed them to the fortress.  I will muster the troops!

But first, the trading.  At my command, the fortress traded two bins of metal crafts for the following: all the metal bars, all the flux stone (some dozen pieces), all the wood (about three dozen logs), all the empty barrels, all the alcohol, some milk, all the weapons and armour, and all of the meat, fish, and cheese that was brought.

Now then, let the defenders of Rilem Buddedfuture go forth to battle!

The Invasion

The first squad of swordsgoblins approached with a master speargoblin at its head. Two of the caravan guards and Elderont rushed out to meet them.  The first guard fell with the opening swings, and the many traps at the entrance disabled a number of the invaders.

Elderont cried for the rest of the military, who came streaming out of the fort to fight.  A squad of a half-dozen trolls joined the fray, but were quickly scattered before Elderont's ferocity, along with the swordsgoblin squad.

The renowned hammerdwarf, Cog Tinstokers the Pinnacle of Snapping let loose a warning call as she saw two squads of crossbowgoblins approaching from the northwest.

Elderont, fearing the worst, ordered the troops back inside.  "Leave the fleeing goblins!  Our lives are at stake!"  However, not even he was unable to resist the temptation of the witless, fleeing goblins.  Cog, seeing this, ordered the squads to her.  As I watched from the temple above, I feared that the defenders of Rilem Buddedfuture would suffer heavy losses.

As the rest of the militia filtered out of the fortress, the first bolts were loosed at one of the new recruits, Medtob Ablelkab, a dwarf who I was later told had only picked up his iron battle axe earlier that day.

Medtob dodged dozens of bolts, taking only a few glancing blows, as he charged to meet his first opponent.  Behind him came charging Cog, Elderont, and the rest of the militia, heedless of the wall of metal death they faced.  Soon, another new recruit, Zas Zuntirkekim, fell to the ground with a head wound that even from my high perch I could see.  I prayed to Rilem Buddedfuture to preserve his life.

Meanwhile, Medtob was still locked in mortal combat with a foe much superior to him.  Yet neither was able to land a blow on the other for several, long seconds.  Suddenly, he broke away from his opponent and charged the crossbowgoblins, who turned their attention to him.  This bought the rest of the militia precious time to cover the remaining ground between them and their victims.

I saw Medtob dodge a hail of bolts and slice off with his new iron battle axe an entire arm of a goblin.  In the next few moments, however, his opponent, a master lasher, tripped him, ending his wondrous dodging, hacking spree.  He became a pincushion and took no fewer than 6 bolts to his body before one punctured his head through his helmet.  So passed Medtob the Great, new recruit and Hero of Breakfastcudgels.  I have accorded him a special place in the catacombs, which I have since ordered expanded.

And I ordered them expanded for a reason.  The defenders of Rilem Buddedfuture did not fare well in the battle.  As the first squad of crossbowgoblins began to flee, the second charged at the much-weakened militia.  They however, did not put up a strong fight as the rest of the militia finished them off.

The aftermath was a gruesome mess of blood, goblin limbs, and gored dwarves.

Final count:

4 Dwarves dead, including the other Guard commanded by Elderont.
Almost two dozen goblins killed, and six trolls.

Cog and her Protected One child, Rilgoth, survived unharmed, a testament to the protection of Rilem Buddedfuture and !goth.  Now let the cleanup and burial begin.

25 Timber

In the midst of the cleanup, another godly possession occurred.  This one to a weaponsmith.  He claimed a forge and now sits there, muttering about wanting bars of metal.  This can only be a possession by !goth, the Trickster, for there are no fewer than 500 bars of assorted metals sitting just a few floors above in the stockpile.

26 Timber

The hospital is quite full.  I had better order the soapmakers to get to work, as there are many wounds to clean.  The defenders of Rilem Buddedfuture did well.

27 Timber

With winter along the corner, progress on the temple has been slowed due to the invasion clean-up.  I hope to have that finished in the next week, such that my glorious temple to Rilem Buddedfuture will be finished in time for her favorite season of Spring.  When it is finished, the celebrations will be... raucous.

==============

//Well then, that got very interesting very quickly.  I'm amazed that no dwarves died of directly being made into a pincushion!  That first herodwarf made it easy for the rest, even though half the military's in the hospital now.

//Also, sorry for being so flaky and saying I'll post and then I don't for another three days!  I've been surprisingly busy for having nothing to do...  Still, I'll try to get winter done ASAP!  This will be the season of random death, trust me on that.  I REALLY wanted to make a Caruso (or however you spell his name) pun from CSI: Miami and then talk about my character putting on obsidian shades and some random dwarf yelling "YEAAAAAAAAAH" outside the office.  That'd'a been priceless.  But I couldn't think of any good, relevant puns.

//Finally, I'm a little worried about the latest possession.  Is this one of those weird glitchy ones?  I mean, seriously, there're some bars just two or three steps from where they guy is, yet he won't take 'em.  What's going on?!?

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »

Try making some metal blocks - I've heard that when they want metal bars, they actually want blocks.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2011, 07:43:01 pm »

I also have several gold blocks that are destined for the temple-building.  Still, I suppose I'll make some iron ones or something, although his highest skill IS weaponsmithing, if I recall.

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2011, 09:31:06 pm »

If its a artifact sword I call dibs. And by the way, get me some more recruits!

About the metalsmith, try looking for his favorite metal. I once had a strange mood that the dwarf would only pick the copper bars (his favorite material), even though I had tons of silver.

Great turn! I know it's not over but is looking nice! Always good to see open combat with archers!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2011, 08:38:58 am »

With the account of the invasion read, CrazyCow comes to the final chapters of the vellum book.

12 Moonstone

By Rilem Buddedfuture, it has been a quiet winter since the end of the siege.  Work on my temple is drawing to a close and soon it will be ready for dedication!  I need only to order--

Roars within the fortress?  What's going on?

Rilem Buddedfuture protect us!  It is Siga the Shock of Oozes!

Quickly, muster the militia!  We must contain the threat before the monster kills any of the servants of Rilem Buddedfuture!

No!  It's made it into the housing section!  Where is the militia?!

Thank !goth, the Trickster, for Cog and Dishmab, two militia captains, were able destroy the monster with no civilian casualties.

It did, however, kill one war dog and seriously maim two others.

Now, how in the world did that thing get in here?  It must have swum through the well, for there are no other openings.  Well, there's nothing to be done about that.  Let us pray to Rilem Buddedfuture that there will be no more monsters.

24 Moonstone

That !goth possession that was begun before the invasion has finally begun to bear fruit!  After going to great pains to make sure that all metals were available to him, the dwarf has finally begun construction!  This demands a sacrifice at the nearly-finished temple!  I will drop the obsidian piece once more upon my list.

Stukos Abanvel, Hauler, has been chosen.  He is a faithful worshiper of Rilem Buddedfuture, but since !goth is associated with her, I do not doubt that this sacrificial dwarf will be acceptable to him.

26 Moonstone

Our idiot mayor came to me blubbering about royalty and realms.  I asked the liaison, who was still around, and also apparently more in charge of his faculties than dhokarena56, who said that he was empowered to raise the realm to a barony.  I agreed, and decided to recommend an elevation based on chance.  I once more let the obsidian fall on the list.  For a moment, it looked as if it might stay on my name, but then it fell on Erush Tuloncatten, Pump Operator.  Unfortunately, he is not a worshiper of either Rilem Buddedfuture OR !goth, but !goth works in mysterious ways.

The liaison, turning away from the mayor, who had become distracted trying to catch an acorn fly with his stubby hands, asked me what requests I had from the Mountainhomes.

I asked for some wood, all the steel and iron bars they would bring, a better assortment of weapons, some armour, especially gauntlets, greaves, and high boots, alcohol, some meat, plenty of fish, more flux stone, barrels and sand.

27 Moonstone

How about that sacrifice?  Why is he not moving to the appointed place?  Too busy eating?

28 Moonstone

Success!  The sacrifice has come and been sacrificed!

He has been impaled on the favourite metal of Rilem Buddedfuture, silver.  And even greater success, the possession artifact finished!

Elderont asked for the weapon, but he has no experience with it.  I will let the militia take it at their choosing, for they are ALL the defender of Rilem Buddedfuture.

5 Opal

Some of the dwarves who are more in possession of their puny mental capacity not worshipers of Rilem Buddedfuture or !goth have been grumbling about the sacrifices.  "Perfectly healthy, useful dwarves," I hear.  "Insane overseer," others say.  But they are drowned out by the rest of the idiot dwarves, whose intelligence is comparable to that of giant earthworms.

8 Opal

A new child was born today.  Despite my prayers and prostrations, neither Rilem Buddedfuture nor !goth would comment on this child.  It seems likely that, if she should survive, she will grow up to be an idiot, like the majority of the fortress.

20 Opal

The temple finally nears completion!  I will prepare a sacrifice to ensure that all goes well.  This time, I will not drop the obsidian piece.  There was in the spring a useless dwarf in the military about whom I'd written.  Goden Uduzol's time has come.  But she will not go willingly.  I will go into the hospital with my obsidian piece, and knock her unconscious.  She will be brought up by the arrangement of other followers of Rilem Buddedfuture.

Alas, the sacrifice failed!  Goden is mortally wounded, and may yet die in the hospital, but the plot has been discovered.  One of the other dwarves who was on the surface heard her screams as she woke up while falling, and went to investigate.  He saw me on the top of the temple.

I have ordered the hospital locked, and have bribed the medical staff with golden trinkets.

5 Obsidian

Today it was made official.  Breakfastcudgels is now a barony.  Erush Tuloncatten must have her quarters prepared.

Today also the temple was finished!  I must make at least one more sacrifice!  But there are more grumblings after the episode with Goden.

20 Obsidian

I have made my decision.  Let one more sacrifice be made!  It shall be...  Edem Solozsazir, Weaponsmith.  And THEN I shall include the plans of the temple.

NO!  Edem has survived as well!  I will let him stay out and die at the whim of Rilem Buddedfuture.

Very well, !goth seems to be having his fun.  Let him have it.  My temple is a success and Rilem Buddedfuture has told me so!  Now here are a few plans.

Here she is.  Built of obsidian and the most finely wrought gold in the whole world!

Here we have something like a cross-section, where you can see the spiral ramp in the center, with its golden core.

This is the bottom floor of the temple, and it can be seen where it was added to the fortress.

26 Obsidian

In these last days of winter before the Great Rebirthing, the Spring of the year 240, a goblin ambush has come!  They avoided the trap and penetrated the fort!  But only in a trickle, fortunately.  The militia has been mustered and will destroy the enemy!

Alas, a metalsmith caught outside was slain, much to the chagrin of Rilem Buddedfuture.  The goblins were driven off, but some of the militia were injured.

And soon thereafter, Spring arrived!  Now that the temple has been completed, I will retire to my duties of prayer and devotion to Rilem Buddedfuture.  Let some other fool try to manage these idiot dwarves with their idiot mayor.  They won't even notice that I'm gone, I imagine.

=============

// Well, that was very interesting!  Sorry for taking so long with this all!

//I was going to have myself sacrificed, but I didn't have time.  Maybe CrazyCow, you can continue the random death and also make my character pay for his weird devotion to Rilem Buddedfuture.

//The save is now available here.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 02:41:20 pm by Savolainen5 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13