Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Way to mark levers?  (Read 1003 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Way to mark levers?
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:42:03 pm »

How do you keep track of what your levers do?  I'm trying to keep track of my gobbo drowning chamber, gobbo archery range, and gobbo rape basement (ONE OF THESE THINGS IS LESS REAL THAN THE OTHERS) and already I've got too many damn levers.

Is there a way to mark them in game?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Way to mark levers?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 07:45:04 pm »

Notes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:46:00 pm »

I use a combination of location and color coding. Defense levers in one room near my statue garden, with bauxite levers (red for blood) for the spikes, phylite (sounds like falling)/ whatever looks like the bridge material for the dodge maze bridges, purple for the rutile bridge to the outside (both distinctive and magma safe, etc. For less urgent levers (like seldom used floodgate controls), I just put them in a safe place near whatever they control.

Obviously the drowning pool is the less real one. It is redundant when you have the others.
Soaplent green is goblins!

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:50:42 pm »

Some people color code them by making the mechanisms out of different colors of stone, or maybe building something with that color stone nearby.

Normally I just try to place the levers so that they mimic the relative position of the things they control. So for example, if I have a north, east, south, and west door then I place the levers in a sort of + pattern with the lever for the north door to to the north, south to the south, etc.

Or, in the case of some levers that pretty much never get used (like a floodgate somewhere that only gets shut for renovation purposes) I stick the lever right next to whatever it controls.

The Notes idea sounds good though.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:57:01 pm »

I leave levers unmarked and hope I can remember what each does. If you can't remember, it can still be pretty Fun.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 07:58:42 pm »

Hmm of all these, maybe I'll go with the Fun option.  My fort could cut some of the excess...
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »

hit N to open up notes. Place a note on each lever to tell you what it does. You can hit N later to see whats what
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because