Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giant jaguar/Jaguar breeding?  (Read 6125 times)

Byttingen

• Bay Watcher
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Giant jaguar/Jaguar breeding?
« on: May 09, 2011, 03:58:10 pm »

So, the elves finally galavanted their skinny arses over to my fortress. I went ahead and loaded up my depot with hundreds of stonecrafts, tossed in the odd handful of gems and a stupid goblin snatcher in a tin cage.

I was planning to, originally, buy whatever foods and drinks they had but instead noticed a "Giant Leopard" "Giant Jaguar" and a "Jaguar." So I paid an arm and a leg in goods for the three of them and want to know if the jaguars will be able to breed. The Giant Jaguar is female and the regular Jaguar is male. Possible kittens here? I'll edit the raws sadface if they can't.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant jaguar/Jaguar breeding?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 04:08:23 pm »

So, the elves finally galavanted their skinny arses over to my fortress. I went ahead and loaded up my depot with hundreds of stonecrafts, tossed in the odd handful of gems and a stupid goblin snatcher in a tin cage.

I was planning to, originally, buy whatever foods and drinks they had but instead noticed a "Giant Leopard" "Giant Jaguar" and a "Jaguar." So I paid an arm and a leg in goods for the three of them and want to know if the jaguars will be able to breed. The Giant Jaguar is female and the regular Jaguar is male. Possible kittens here? I'll edit the raws sadface if they can't.

I doubt it, the giant leopards honey hole will be too loose for that leopard to finish up.  :P "Pussy  is too big" problem.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:13:30 pm »

Pretty sure they won't.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 06:08:54 pm »

They're different species according to the raws, one is a variant on the other but they're still completely separate, so no inbreeding until crossbreeds are introduced.  If they are, that is.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 06:43:45 pm »

They're different species according to the raws, one is a variant on the other but they're still completely separate, so no inbreeding until crossbreeds are introduced.  If they are, that is.

If it happens, I am looking forward to bugs in that arc...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:10:08 pm »

If it happens, I am looking forward to bugs in that arc...
Why? Do you want to crossbreed giant desert scorpions and giant cave spiders or something?
Actually, that would be awesome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:20:03 pm »

The Genealogy is as follows:
Generation 1: Giant Desert Scorpion, Giant Caves Spider, Giant Badger, Carp
Generation 2: Giant Webbed Cave Scorpion, Giant Badger Carp
Generation 3: Giant Webbed Stinging Cave Badger Carp

Byttingen

• Bay Watcher
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:04:43 pm »

Okay, checking back. They will not breed, and I've decided not to edit the raws. However, they make EXCELLENT executioners.

In other news, I've just figured out how windmills and pumps work. Making a cistern because winter sucks in my zone.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 10:21:18 pm »

If you manage to get a male Giant Jaguar (which you very well might), then breeding them is "sort of" an option.
I say "sort of" because you'll need to edit the raws to make them non-exotic pets, since you'll never get a Dungeon Master (and even if you give yourself one, it won't work).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 10:24:55 pm »

Actually, if the elves have delivered a tame female to you, then any offspring will be tame, even from a male wild wandering on the map.  Elves don't play by the rules, and if they trade/"donate" any tamed exotics, they're tame for real and will breed as normal.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 02:51:41 am »

Just make sure the raws from your current world put jaguars and giant jaguars as [PET] and not [PET_EXOTIC]

And no, giant animals cannot reproduce with their regular sized version.

Also, if some male giant jaguar wanders on your map or if you buy a male giant jaguar from the elves, you will have kittens as long as the female still lives.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:01 am »

I went ahead and loaded up my depot with... and a stupid goblin snatcher in a tin cage.

really?
how?
do you know a trick or has that little whatever-ness been fixed where animals and goblins will escape from cages when you try to sell them?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 04:06:35 am »

All giant felines have been increased in size significantly, so they are now really "Giant Jaguars", not just "A-bit-larger-than-usual Jaguars"
Wait until they bring you giant tigers, those weigh 2tons.
for added lethality, you can try to make them [PRONE_TO_RAGE] to simulate some truly dwarven combat training.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 06:51:23 am »

Actually, if the elves have delivered a tame female to you, then any offspring will be tame, even from a male wild wandering on the map.  Elves don't play by the rules, and if they trade/"donate" any tamed exotics, they're tame for real and will breed as normal.
I've been led to believe that pet_exotic prevented breeding, even tamed. I've had numerous fortresses with breeding pairs (or even quatuors) of jaguars or leopards (bought from the elves), and never have they bred.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:08:36 am »

The Genealogy is as follows:
Generation 1: Giant Desert Scorpion, Giant Caves Spider, Giant Badger, Carp
Generation 2: Giant Webbed Cave Scorpion, Giant Badger Carp
Generation 3: Giant Webbed Stinging Cave Badger Carp
Someone needs to mod that in.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.