Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: large stationary beer barrels.  (Read 5948 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: large stationary beer barrels.
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 01:18:45 pm »

When they drink bloody vomit water they flinch so bad that they forget every bad thought and the fps dies for a second but other than that its not noticeable...Well they should! Also they should care about bad booze. Also, I didnt know that well thing. Perhaps it would be better is large barrels would be able to hold MORE than 7/7 units of booze per tile.  ???

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 02:48:16 pm »

Technically... [cut]

I Know, but that doesn't change my pont: I was answering to "why would it have to be liquid". If we discuss about change how the game handles booze, what else can we make it aside from fluid?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 03:10:18 pm »

The game recognizes, more or less, five things.  Terrain like grass, stone, and walls; flows like water and magma; objects like spears and socks and corpses; contaminants which can also be objects, and have the tendency to stick to things, like blood, mud, and beer; creatures like dwarves and goblins and badgers.  To define a new "thing" would be pretty massive, especially since these options cover most all applications.  It ultimately comes down to "We could do this, or we could do that and also this."  Custom fluids will happen, it's on the development page, but unique beer barrel constructions isn't.  Fluids will by extension make large barrels possible, but barrels does not make fluids possible.  It will require the player to dig/build a cistern for booze, but it still functions in fundamentally the same way.  There's no reason to request one thing, when you could instead request several things.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 07:14:58 pm »

I want this, those examples look awesome

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 09:01:23 pm »

Owlbread: "I read this title as "large stationary bee"."

Yeah me too. I like the idea, it could let you see quantities of liquids (like mead or honey) without them having to be fully dynamic "liquids".

Giant barrels would also be a more practical way for a fortress to store its honey (instead of making lots of little jugs).

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 01:14:37 pm »

@Xelanthol-Thanks. Just google ascii paint and you can make some too!

@buzzing_beard- What is mead? I have never built any mead in df. Anyways, I like your addition of mead and honey and such but I dont understand how honey could be stored...I'm a genious! I just had a GREAT idea! What with these bug barrels it would be much easier to poison them once poisons are added! YAY!!

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 01:42:32 pm »

As I understand it, it's fermented honey, watered down.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2011, 01:58:25 am »

Crioca: "As I understand it, it's fermented honey, watered down."

Actually, you have to water it down in order to ferment it; yeast needs the "honey" to be about 20% water at least.

I think mead is the main reason bees won Rainseeker's animal drive. If we're lucky, DF may get more than one variety.
*strawberry-honey mead*

BTW, there's a tradition where newlyweds drink mead everyday for a whole month (their honeymoon).

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 02:08:10 pm »

I still would like to have the big barrels just for good looks.  :-\

A Random Passerby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2011, 02:15:35 pm »

I still would like to have the big barrels just for good looks.  :-\
Hear hear. Awesome idea, make a big pool of dwarven ale/beer/wine/other booze, and then build a well on it. Dwarves would probably just dive into it and drown, though.
Man, you can't go wrong with a *cow meat roast*

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 02:20:37 pm »

I like
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 02:26:53 pm »

Actually, perhaps it should have to be made of constructed materials.  And maybe 2/7 beer would equal 1 serving for a dwarf.  I wish there was a use for pipes..... 
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 11:53:08 pm »

I'd definitely like this as part of an overhaul of workshops; requiring large barrels to build stills and other plant-processing workshops would make sense, as would it for taverns and inns.  being able to assign specific drinks to them would also be a good way to customize your stockplies beyond simply banning alcohols in cooking, for example.

That latter part would be great for me because I like keeping as diverse an alcohol selection as possible.  Also, it would be great to link them to a still to produce specific alcohols or to automate restocking.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2011, 01:02:05 am »

Yes, I too think that pipes should be used. I actually think that the dwarfs should drink the barrels from the side not the top. with a tap or something.

Also, yeah, I wish dwarves cared about drink selection and quality.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:40 am »

Pipes would doubtless be introduced along with, or nearby, custom fluids.  So once again, I have to suggest we push for fluids instead and knock that out as well :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4