Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: large stationary beer barrels.  (Read 5947 times)

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: large stationary beer barrels.
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 10:17:13 pm »

Although the idea of fluids isn't bad you will get several problems caused by this. 1. A 7/7 of booze or blood? That's hell of a lot. 2. How should the code handle it, if they mix? ohne must be lighter or they must mix. What you get then? So i see no hope for this idea.

Actuually I see nothing but hope for this idea. It will happen, and its easy to code for (I'm programmer).  However, the dead shall walk the earth first.

Brewing needs a little over haul, currently one can make a 80 proof spirit from raw fruit and nothing else as fast as it takes to make a cat tallow biscuit. (Actually the biscuit takes longer).

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 05:39:39 am »

yeah, it will but anyway. Also, why would it have to be liquids?

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 08:16:32 am »

I'm not shure I understand. Booze is liquid, what else can it be?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 08:38:17 am »

Powder!

That's it! Powderbooze!

To the workshop!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 08:52:43 am »

A powder that makes you high has some unfortunate implication, I belive  :P

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 09:44:48 am »

Powder!

That's it! Powderbooze!

To the workshop!
Reminds me of an idea a friend's dad had when I was in highschool. Dehydrated beer shaped into alkaseltzer-like tablets with (this part was my idea) a small water soluble but alcohol insoluble capsule in the middle of the tablet filled with pure alcohol. Pop one into a glass of water, and insta-beer!

Years later I find some hippie backpacker website offers the tablets without the actual alcohol. I shoulda went into organic chemistry...

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 11:26:26 am »

No no. What I meant was why should we wait until booze become a 7/7 liquid?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 11:40:28 am »

Problem is that booze would easily become soiled...

For me, I really am waiting for all liquids to actually act like liquids.. No, seriously, what's more Bad Ass than a bloodfall in a temple to Armok ?

Or trolling goblins by dumping vomit on them :P

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 12:10:52 pm »

but the barrel idea is good because booze stored in a room on the floor is NOT a very good idea.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »

Ignoring all the fluid dynamics talk, I heartily endorse the idea of having large, constructed casks that can hold several hundred units of one specific type of booze. It's highly dwarven and would contribute greatly towards my eventual goal of making a dwarf version of Dun Morogh.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 02:49:52 am »

Technically, beer is not a fluid in DF.  A fluid is currently magma and water.  Beer, blood, sand, vomit, pus, and general "filth" are all considered to be a "contaminant".  They occupy a square as an item, or they reside in an inventory, but calling them a liquid is arbitrary.  Powders and liquids and gels all act the same, they sit in place and cannot be recovered, only cleaned.

While the massive barrel is a fantastic idea, it's an idea that will solve itself with custom fluids.  You have two options.  1) Get the massive barrel added, requiring unique code for the barrel form and use.  Later, custom fluids are introduced, turning the barrel into an out-dated method since we could then make normal cisterns full of booze.  Or 2) Get custom fluids added, including booze, blood, and dwarven syrup, and construct a well over a booze cistern.  Both options create the same "huge beer container" effect, but one option 2 will fulfill option 1, while option 1 is simply more work and eventually rendered obsolete by option 2.

TL;DR - If you get custom fluids, then you can make a 5 Z tall booze barrel, and a whole lot of other fluid applications, including a beerfall.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 06:16:13 am »

istillthink that if beer touches the floor it should be insta bad! booze would be good as a liquid for purely cosmetic reasons(booze fountain etc). If booze spoils while in contact with the floor then this idea is a good one. Also, If we get liquids first, then I wasnt taps- places that act like wells but can draw watter from the sides and dont let water through. Also, if alchohol becomes a fluid then a 3x3(empty space) barrel can only hold 63 units of booze. Thats the same as 3 regular barrels. :-\

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 07:37:08 am »

I read this title as "large stationary bee". I was dissapointed, but I concur with the suggestion nevertheless.

I think it'd be great though, having some sort of beer drowing pit. Say you have a melancholy dwarf that wants to leave this world, that might make ending his life that bit more pleasant.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 07:54:44 am by Owlbread »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 01:13:53 pm »

Perhaps booze fluid could work similar to wells.  I never use wells myself (hospitals be damned!) but I read that every use of a well consumes 1/10th of 1/7 of water.  Thus, a 7/7 water has 70 units of well water, or 7 units of straight drinking water.  I assume this was done by storing the 1/10th bit of memory in the well itself, since the water isn't a floating point, but either way.  If the "tap" for fluid beer consumes 1/10th of a level each use, then a 3x3 gets 630 units of booze.  Assuming 25 units of booze per barrel (from a stack of 5 plants) that's 25 and 1/5ths barrels and much more appealing.

Also, perhaps rules could apply, although they don't for water.  Like, a constructed or smoothed floor is ok, but booze cistern on a rough floor makes it tainted.  Still drinkable, but it suffers bad thoughts like muddy water does.  After all, dwarves will drink bloodstained, vomit filled muddy water, I don't think they'd flinch much at booze on a smoothed out cistern.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4