Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: large stationary beer barrels.  (Read 5946 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
large stationary beer barrels.
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:39:25 pm »

I think there should be large beer barrels that can be constructed. They would be a type of building that can be bult. They would look something like this:

They would be sisable(like walls but with a minimum size(like 3x3)) and would also be a bit like walls. They would also be rotatable. Every giant barrel would be able to hold only one type of drink. I would also love to see fermentation. Each giant barrel would have a drink that has fermented to a certain stage. thoughts? Oh, right! Each barrel has a tap so yes, dwarves can drink from them. They should also be able to hold water.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: large stationary beer barrels.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:42:16 pm »

i support booze behaving like other liquids: magma and water. i'd love to make waterfalls of booze and drowning rooms of booze for pleasant death. also other uses such as beer lakes and booze moats would be cool.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 03:12:12 pm »

i support booze behaving like other liquids: magma and water. i'd love to make waterfalls of booze and drowning rooms of booze for pleasant death. also other uses such as beer lakes and booze moats would be cool.
Wouldn't work, every dwarf would commit suicide diving in and drowning. You'd run out of laborers long before you could finish construction of a moat.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 03:25:07 pm »

make invaders walk through a 3 full booze bath. then, drop 1 magma in and watch parts fly
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:36:28 pm »

make invaders walk through a 3 full booze bath. then, drop 1 magma in and watch parts fly

Why would adding magma to booze cause an explosion? Most alcoholic beverages are only 5% alcohol by volume, and that's nowhere near enough to be flammable, and before you start mentioning "flambé", you should know that's only done with hard liquor (at least 40% by volume) and doesn't work at all with wine or beer. Don't believe me? Take a beer and try to set it on fire.

For the record, booze has never been explosive in Dwarf Fortress - the worst it will ever do is boil into a cloud of harmless vapor, since alcohol boils long before it burns (182°F versus 832°F) and vapors cannot burn in DF. The idea of "booze bombs" originated entirely from the aforementioned red clouds of boiling booze, and they don't actually do any damage.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 04:44:00 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ludsoe

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urst of Urstland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:07:34 pm »

I WANT DIS NAOW!!!1!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!!!!!!
My beard thirsts the thirst of a thousands deserts with no booze in them.
Also booze lakes......  :) :) :) :D :D :D :P

I support this.
Ludsoe has cancels life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

(Reserved for more stuff)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 08:35:39 pm »

Interesting idea.

You might call them "hogsheads," "kegs," or "casks" to differentiate them from barrels.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:49:59 pm »

A similar, but more restrained, idea has been suggested in the past.  A "pony key" or "taproom" building that requires one or more barrels which holds a large quantity of booze, allowing dwarves easier access to it than wandering all the way to a stockpile.  Also might give reason to have goblets and tankards and such, to fill them up from it and drink from. 

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 04:38:10 am »

Although something tells me that they might just stick their heads under the tap. Seems fairly likely for a bunch of alcohol dependant pyschopaths.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:59:52 am »

Most alcoholic beverages are only 5% alcohol by volume, and that's nowhere near enough to be flammable

And that's just in modern (industrial) times. In medieval times the common homespun beers were more in the 1-2% region, similar to modern Russian kvass. Stronger and finer beers were for festivities. Even commercial wine could be just 5%, and that's before it was diluted with water.

Though these were beverages that people drank in order to keep hydrated, not to get pissed. So dwarven drinks may (or may not) be different.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:14:36 am by Dwarfoloid »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 09:06:46 am »

Most alcoholic beverages are only 5% alcohol by volume, and that's nowhere near enough to be flammable

And that's just in modern (industrial) times. In medieval times the common homespun beers were more in the 1-2% region, similar to modern Russian kvass. Stronger and finer beers were for festivities. Even commercial wine could be just 5%, and that's before it was diluted with water.
We are talking about dwarves you know... They just drink pure alcohol and give it different names like wine and beer just for the lulz

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 09:13:22 am »

We are talking about dwarves you know... They just drink pure alcohol and give it different names like wine and beer just for the lulz

Damn, my ninja edit failed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:12:42 pm »

For the record, I would reclassify this thread.  What we need, is custom fluid types, and then the large barrel will create itself.  Once booze, blood, vomit, etc. becomes an actual 7/7 fluid, then it will be very easy to create a 5 level high booze barrel (or 50 level high mug) or even the fabled Boozfall!

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 01:40:58 pm »

Back on Topic: I support the initial idea of the topics starter. It would give the underdeveloped architecture labor another use and would be rather easy to impelment.

Although the idea of fluids isn't bad you will get several problems caused by this. 1. A 7/7 of booze or blood? That's hell of a lot. 2. How should the code handle it, if they mix? ohne must be lighter or they must mix. What you get then? So i see no hope for this idea.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »

It would be great if you could set up a zone where dwarves would drink the "liquid" booze.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4