Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manager Magma Racism  (Read 1042 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Manager Magma Racism
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:02:01 pm »

I think my manager is racist against magma forges. I got my regualr forges near the surface set up about 10 minutes before I built magma forges and smelters down below. I made an express-ramp down there so it's more convenient, and then made my manager order the production of some steel equipment. Later, I noticed he wasn't queueing up the things on my magma forge... but the regular one. Frustrated, I locked the doors on them, but that didn't work.. so I ordered them to be deconstructed [we with door still locked. I'd have to have en empty room, so I just let it sit there.] and he STILL refuses to queue up stuff in the magma forge.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Manager Magma Racism
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:06:21 pm »

Quote up 10 -forge statue- orders on all of your regular forgers and suspend them all. Same goes for smelters, but with a smelting job.

Or add magma.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 01:09:10 pm »

You can just forbid the workshop. Jobs cannot be automatically queued in a forbidden workshop.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »

How do I forbid the shop? Forbid the items it's made of?
Legacy of Insightshields

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »

You could do that, or b-d-f the center tile.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 01:57:10 pm »

Well that seems to have worked... quick unrelated question though, I recently became a barony, and my mayor was also my broker. Will she still barter with caravans or will I have to get someone else?
Legacy of Insightshields

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 02:12:51 pm »

Appointed nobles still do their normal job.  Only appoint a new broker if you're worried about getting both the trading and meeting with diplomats and liaisons done at the same time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 03:57:08 pm »

There is a little exploit with meetings - pause when the meeting starts. After some time (how long I don't know, but I make my tea in the kitchen) do action like designating mining area, or remove designation. After each such action one step of negotiation is complete, so technically you finish it the moment it started, in game time.

Also, I appointed a new guy as a broker instead of my mayor in fifth year (to train him as a potential backup - they train appraisal skill only once per caravan, they need to be the ones who start trading and then you can appoint your old broker for the job if you want) and after two caravan visits he got elected as a new mayor. Apparently trading increases some social skills too.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 04:46:52 pm »

They go up per trade I think. I had a guy go from no appraisal to high master in one caravan.
Legacy of Insightshields

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 06:05:14 pm »

The only problem I've had with a mayor as a broker is that the mayor has a tendency to eat, drink, sleep, then go eat again, drink again, and sleep again etc half the time even when requested at the depot and the caravan leaves before he gets there. Actually that might have been when I had a baron or duke as a broker.

Anyway, by the time I get to baron I usually appoint a dedicated broker just to help increase the chance that he will show up at the depot right away when requested.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 07:04:57 am »

They go up per trade I think. I had a guy go from no appraisal to high master in one caravan.

I checked with Dwarf TheRapist and they upgrade Appraisal only once. But by quite much - one upgrade was about 3 levels or so. But they get Negotiator with every trade.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 08:52:09 am »

I always thought Appraisal was once per trade too.  Out of curiosity...did you close the Trade window between transactions?
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:52 am »

I always thought Appraisal was once per trade too.  Out of curiosity...did you close the Trade window between transactions?

Yes, sometimes I close the trade window. But even wiki claims it's once per caravan.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:02 pm »

Then perhaps something's changed, or I got lucky or something, because he was legendary in 2-3 caravans. Lots of little trades, though. I'd close the window between each.
Legacy of Insightshields