Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [1/7, 3/3]: Evening 3 - GAME OVER & TOWN WIN!  (Read 95097 times)

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: 1 replace, please!~
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2011, 12:33:01 am »

Goodnight.  I'll see y'all on the other side.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2011, 01:10:18 am »

Votecount:
Supercharazard - 1 - Okami No Rei

This has been bugging me and a lot of people keep making this mistake: It's SupercharaZAD. There's no R in the last syllable. More like Scherezad than Charizard.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2011, 01:36:32 am »

Actually, eff if I know the proper romanization. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheherazade. Still, the point stands.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2011, 01:43:49 am »

I asked you why Supercharazad was more worthy of a vote, and your answer is that you put red text around Supercharazad's name first?

That's weak.
I didn't, and still don't, have any reason to suspect one over the other.

Why not?

This is what I keep asking you and you keep on giving me non-answers. What can I conclude? I guess that you don't have an answer.

Fine enough by me.

I didn't question anzki4 about it because 1) I'm not obsessed with calling everybody a parrot like you are, and 2) it looked like a noob mistake.
Didn't you just say
in my mind, what anzki4 did was worse, what with parroting Supercharazad over broken quote tags. I think your points about Supercharazad parroting you
You're appear to be more obsessed with the parroting than I am, and seem to think anzki's parroting was important.

So, is it or isn't it? 

Fantastic misrepresentation.

I asked you the question based on the criteria you were attacking people with. Namely, you were attacking Supercharazad for parroting your arguments against Taricus, but you completely ignored it when anzki4 did an arguably worse example of parroting when he copied Supercharazad's attack on Heliman's broken quote tags. I wanted to know why you were being inconsistent.

I don't really care about parroting and have never made a big deal about it.

I've never been attacking anzki for parroting.

I KNOW.

The point I'm making is, why not? You attacked Heliman for parroting. You attacked Supercharazad for parroting. Every other time somebody used a vaguely familiar argument you pointed out that they were parroting.

Why not anzki4? You noticed right when he did it:

Something making you nervous, Heliman?? What make's you so distracted arguing against yourself?
And now you're trying to cover your tracks after Jim called you out on not directly attacking me, by going after Heliman over what? A post that's clearly mangled only due to some quote tagging errors?  You're really reaching now.

This was right after Supercharazad attacked Heliman for the exact same thing. I find it hard to believe you'd miss it with your highly developed parrotometer, especially after quoting it, so the question still is, why are you being inconsistent?

I've never been attacking Supercharazad for parroting.

Really.

Supercharazad - You're rehashing my arguments without providing original material, you were the third vote on the bandwagon, and judging by your post history, you've been around long enough to know better.  Explain yourself.

So basically you just lied.

That's not even a wild accusation designed to show hostility or get you on edge. The only reason you called Supercharazad a liar is because you didn't believe his explanation about the arguments he used. So you pretending that your attack had nothing to do with Supercharazad parroting is completely dishonest and disingenuous.

That makes you perfectly lynchable by your own standards.

Powder Miner - You're panicking, dropping WIFOM like candy, and making excuses.  Why shouldn't I drop everything and vote you right now?

Good question. Why aren't you? Those are several very good reasons to vote for somebody. What's holding you back? You're not partners with him, are you?
I don't think he's scum, and this close to day end, I'm not going to put my vote on him just to apply pressure.  I'm voting to lynch.

Why not?

I'd expect a more developed opinion about Powder Miner from you. Your only real mention of him is from when he first flipped the fuck out because of Toaster's light pressure on him. What do you think about his more recent fuck out flipping where he thrashed wildly around and accused everybody who dared pressure him into doing what he says?

What do you think about how he won't even get anywhere near you? He's proven he can attack people pretty seriously when he wants to, but what do you think about you getting the ten foot pole treatment?

And you don't think he's scum.

Mind-boggling.

Or just simple dishonesty.

You know what? I pretty much find everything about you difficult to believe. Unvote Powder Miner, Okami No Rei.

I'll change my vote if I have to to avoid a no-lynch.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2011, 03:28:56 am »

God, it's too late at night for me to be posting this, I need to sleep but IDK if I'll have time tomorrow.

You can use almost any fact to aggrandize the truth. Fact+Suitably Ridiculous Summation= Aggrandized truth, Case in point, the last sentence of my first paragraph would be one such aggrandized truth.

What about: "So I was right: You were just pressuring Taricus for show."

I mean, it meets your criteria.

Fact: Okami No Rei was pressuring Taricus.
Suitably Ridiculous Summation: He was doing it for show.

But you lied in saying it, If you were to say "So I'm right then? You were just pressing Taricus for show all along?" It would keep the wild accusation without the lie. Yes it's as easy as using question marks in the right place which is one half of why I'm dropping this bit. According to both the ICs, dishonesty in reaction test is apparently an OK thing to do, which more or less invalidates both this and the WIFOM, because throwing something like that out there would be pointless if the accused action was actually a town thing to do.

Also you seem to be vague about "If it worked." You know full well that Okami wasn't going to cave to pressure, what were you expecting?

What are you expecting with your aggrandized truth in your first paragraph? You can't be expecting much. But you did it anyway. Why? I bet you thought it wouldn't hurt.

Same deal.
Incorrect. I made that sentence with the sole intention of using it as an example in the next paragraph. According to what I have learned, a reaction test has no weight if caught out in the open, so pointing it out as a reaction test in my the very next paragraph would be a tad pointless if such a test was my intention.

You're mincing words here.  I'd be lying if I said I hadn't minced words in the past, but I really think you've got nothing here.  Yes, you should be open, but you can't tell someone why you're asking them a question if you're looking for a specific reaction out of them.
But Jim didn't look for a specific reaction, did he? I'm pretty sure he just said that it wouldn't hurt.

Just so I'm clear at what's going on in your head, who is your #2 pick and why?
Well now that were on that, my first pick is Okami once again, now that he's finally posted. Yes like Powder I was waiting for him to show up but I made sure I didn't twiddle my thumbs in the meantime. But since he's my first scum pick now, the second one is Powder, because of those outbursts of his. It doesn't look like how the classic newbie town would panic to me, but that's just opinion.

So anyhow, @Okami.

My accusations of Supercharazad are independent of his jumpiness, and I also found Anzki.  Deliberately failed bandwagon.  Successful scumhunt.
Scumhunts aren't successful until something flips scum, you have to convince town to do that. Considering the votes at the moment, you haven't been doing much of that.

Quote from: Okami no Rei
Because Taricus (FAKEDIT: And now Powder Miner, I suppose) is the easy lynch right now.  The ones that hopped on the bandwagon aren't so easy as you seem to think, since everyone's looking at them as victims right now.  I'm pushing for one of them because I think one of them is scum, not because he's easy.
They're looking at them as victims because you called them out as the culmination to a half-assed plot you grabbed to try and save yourself.
To save myself?  No.  I already said I did it to salvage a day of failed scumhunting.
Oh and were supposed to believe everything you say then? Yeah, right.

@Okami
Heliman now.  He's already parroting Jim.  Presciently, even.
Excuse me? Where and how?

I was thinking of these two posts:
@Think
Okami. Why? WHY??? Ok I'll tell you.

@Okami
I'm not falling for this load of "Oh no I was just pretending to hunt newbie scum the others scum hunting this guy are the real scum!" Bullshit. This entire charade could easily be an  attempt to quell the players suspicious of you for going after the weakest link. It doesn't automatically justify a sham of a scum hunt followed by a planned lurk, it just introduces WIFOM into the equation.
Since you're clearly not a beginner, I'll tell you straight.

That plan is stupid.

You'll just as easily catch inexperienced town as you will inexperienced scum. And since the game's full of inexperienced players, how actually worthwhile are the results you got?

To everybody else who isn't a beginner: Don't even think about trying to be clever. I don't want to see any clever plans or carefully laid traps or anything like that. If I have anything to say about it you'll learn a decent, basic, fundamental town game first, and then after you've got the basics down, then you can think about being clever.

Everybody got that? NO CLEVER PLANS. Good fundamental scumhunting habits are vastly more important.
It's not a perfect comparison, but it did allow me to use the word parrot.
No it doesn't allow for calling me a parrot. My post in this instance came before Jim's. I can't be called for parroting things that haven't been said yet. This is a pretty weak gambit to try and group me together with Jim and Think (at least I think it was Think) just so our points seem less important.
Vote:Okami

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2011, 03:46:42 am »

No no no.

You see, you were parroting me. Presciently. That's what Okami No Rei said. Exactly what he said.

As in, you knew what I was going to say before it, so you said something along the same lines because you agreed with what I said before I said it.

Makes sense, right?

Just thought I should point that out, since Okami No Rei is going to be completely unable to defend himself.

Because he'll be gone. Not because his arguments are terrible.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2011, 09:11:42 am »

I'll admit that I'm panicky as heck, and was making a few excuses in my feeble attempt to defend against Jim.
But WIFOM? What WIFOM? I have no circular reasoning, anf you really shouldn't try to just drop the word WIFOM in there to try to get me on a false charge. IT's worse than what I was just doing.

Also, why are you trying to lynch anzki when he didn't even get on the bandwagon, and has only been questioned a little bit?

And you had defendedTaricu earlier- You were saying something around that his inactivity was justified, but it was quite a few pages ago.

Short before-school post. I hate timezones.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 20, 2011, 01:01:01 pm »

Powder:
I'll admit that I'm panicky as heck, and was making a few excuses in my feeble attempt to defend against Jim.
But WIFOM? What WIFOM? I have no circular reasoning, anf you really shouldn't try to just drop the word WIFOM in there to try to get me on a false charge. IT's worse than what I was just doing.

Also, why are you trying to lynch anzki when he didn't even get on the bandwagon, and has only been questioned a little bit?

Any sort of attack that uses the phrase "it's worse than what I was just doing" loses all potency.  However, you are at least starting to ask better questions.   I still think you're scum, though.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 20, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

Super:  I'm not seeing enough content out of you to satisfy me.  Can you restate your cases on your top two or three picks?

My picks are as follows:

1: Taricus. For being passive, passive lurking, I happen to REALLY hate his attitude, a REALLY vague RV.
2: Okami. For defending Taricus (once) and trying to get me lynched, without actually scumhunting.

I'll get a content filled post in later tonight, probably.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2011, 02:01:07 pm »

Taricus, anything to add before the day ends?

You've done exactly nothing this whole game.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2011, 02:10:59 pm »

Nothing unless asking people on whoever they think will be nightkilled is a reasonable question to ask.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 20, 2011, 02:14:39 pm »

No, it isn't.

So there's a whole day of play to look over and you don't have anything to say.

Are you actually interested in playing this game at all?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 20, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »

Well, I don't know what questions to ask, so could you give me a few pointers? (If you already have, mind linking me back to it?0
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 20, 2011, 02:23:02 pm »

It's not, because it won't get any useful information.  Before you ask, asking tomorrow about why someone thinks X person got night killed isn't, either.

The night kill target provides little to no information as to who the scum is.  You can't back-calculate who the killer is by the target, because you don't know what motives the scum used to make their choice.  Example motives:

"PlayerA is the best scumhunter- kill him."
"PlayerB thinks I'm scum- kill him."
"PlayerC thinks PlayerD is scum- kill him."
"PlayerE might be a power role- kill him."
"I don't know who to kill, so I used random.org and got PlayerF- kill him."

You have no idea which of those or any of the other innumerable reasons the scum team used, so trying to read into the kill will get you nowhere.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 20, 2011, 02:25:29 pm »

Missed your post, so I'm going to give you a short and long answer.

Short answer:  Ask about anything you find suspicious.

Long answer:  Read Dakrian's guide to scum hunting (below)

Spoiler: This is good stuff. (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32