Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [1/7, 3/3]: Evening 3 - GAME OVER & TOWN WIN!  (Read 95146 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: 1 replace, please!~
« Reply #225 on: May 18, 2011, 10:02:17 pm »

I agree with Toaster about you being passive.

That's something you can do, you know. But I've got more than enough arguments of my own.

Jim, I DO seriously think you're scum. I've been scumhunting you all this time, or at least been trying to.

Nah, you don't. You're throwing mafia jargon at me, probably every term you've ever heard. That's not a solid attack, that's just grasping for anything you can. Again, only in reaction to me calling you scum.

Meh, I'm done arguing with you about this. I'm gonna go play video games or something.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2011, 10:11:17 pm »

Taricus, you're posting right now.

The problem is that you're not posting here. Where are you and why aren't you playing?

I asked you to do something simple and I'm still waiting.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:15 pm »

@Powder Miner
I always flip out about profanity.
Oh fuck, that's a problem then, If you saw [img=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78826.0]The Why would you do that Mafia game going on right now you would probably herniate or something.[img]

And I didn't say that he's going only after Okami. I said that he's trying to get me to only go after Okami.
Again, you said "Why are you pressing me so hard to only go for Okami, who you're trying to get lynched?" The second part of the sentence clearly accuses Jim of trying to get Okami Lynched, so the sentence reads "Why are you pressing me so hard" then "to only go for Okami" then "who you're trying to get lynched?"

And also, Heliman I didn't say that Jim was flipping out. You're misunderstanding what I'm saying pretty badly.
If you make a whole new post starting with  "Oh, and scumhunting aggressively does NOT equal flipping out, so you know?" followed by a sentence that says "Why are you so annoyed about me scumhunting you and Think, Jim?" I can only assume that you're referencing to Jim.

@Jim Groovester

Continuing to interrogate Taricus wasn't exactly getting me anywhere.  I don't like doing work and then having nothing to show for my efforts.
Ah, so I was right. You were just pressuring Taricus for show.
I don't like how you're purposely twisting Okami's words here. He's not saying "show" he's saying "to show for my efforts," which denotes a meaning that translates to "to get from all this."

Yep, I know.

But Okami No Rei's hard to attack. I don't like what he's doing but don't have a perfect answer for how to deal with him.

I don't think I'm wrong about it though. I do think he only pressured Taricus because he thought he would be an easy target as well as to make a show of scumhunting, because it was clear almost from the moment Taricus spoke that he was only inexperienced. But I'm at a complete loss about how to nail him to the wall about it. I tried what you pointed out to see if I could get anything to stick.

Nope.
|
V
I'll use this to point out that this is excellent advice for everybody. As a member of the town, you want to be as open and transparent as possible. (Barring information about your role, of course.)
Well if you knew what he meant beforehand, you aren't following your own advice. You're not being transparent by hiding what you really feel about a statement. That doesn't look like a townie thing to do.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2011, 10:14:58 pm »

But seriously though, you took that passivity thing from Toaster.

I'm going to add a little something here, because I think it's relevant.

You can take part of someone's argument from someone else.  You just generally need to expand upon it.  Even then, there are sometimes slips so egregious that "bandwagoning" is the only sensible thing to do.  For example, in a game with no jesters, the statement of "I am scum" means it's time for everyone to go a-lynching.

Similarly, agreeing with another person's allegation is in no means scummy.  At all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2011, 10:39:30 pm »

Jim Groovster: I was off playing a game for half an hour.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2011, 10:44:32 pm »

Taricus:  What do you think of the advice people are giving you?

Jim Groovster: I was off playing a game for half an hour.

That's fine... assuming you then post some content.  How about some?

Powder:  Here's the thing- once you got a non-RV vote on you, your posting rate basically doubled.  You went from a couple double posts to repeated double and even triple posts.  You are oozing panic from every pore.  The correct response to pressure is to respond calmly to the allegations against you.  You are freaking out.

I actually don't have very many suspicions besides Taricus, although the reasoning you people've been bringing to bear on Okami is beginnign to make me suspicious of Okami. However, I'll refrain from voting until I question Okami myself. Because otherwise it would be a bandwagon, and from personal experience, (I've tried hosting several Mafia games on a forum Igo to), bandwagons don't usually end well for town.

Jim already mentioned this, but you keep saying (here and other posts) that you're going to question Okami, but you never do it.  When you're backed into a wall over it, you respond with an OMGUS.

I need to give you a better reply, but I had to run off halfway through this post, lost my train of thought, and am too tired to reclaim it.  I'll give you more in the morning.  However, if you're town and about to be mislynched, the best thing you can do is post your thoughts on everyone, especially those you think scum.  It likely won't save you, but at least your thoughts are there for the world to see.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2011, 10:46:49 pm »

Good, and very necessary if do want to win and/or survive ingame.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2011, 10:50:05 pm »

Just as necessary to actually do something like answer questions and scumhunt, Taricus. And elaborate. And make posts longer than a line in length.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »

I'll use this to point out that this is excellent advice for everybody. As a member of the town, you want to be as open and transparent as possible. (Barring information about your role, of course.)
Well if you knew what he meant beforehand, you aren't following your own advice. You're not being transparent by hiding what you really feel about a statement. That doesn't look like a townie thing to do.

I love it when people use what I say against me.

I made a shaky accusation to see if it would turn anything up. This is known as reaction testing. It's a fairly common tactic, and the only reason it's not very effective is because pretty much everybody can recognize what's going on. It is, unfortunately, in apparent violation of what I said about being transparent, because it's a tactic that requires some subtlety. I can't tell Okami No Rei that I'm testing for his reaction, now can I?

I explained what I was doing fully when you asked about it, so it's up to you to judge whether or not I'm being malicious about it even though I'm in apparent violation of the letter of my own advice.

Good, and very necessary if do want to win and/or survive ingame.

So...

That's nice that you've acknowledged getting advice.

Are you ever going to put it into action?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 18, 2011, 10:52:24 pm »

Replacement needed?  Huh.  I feel like playing a rather plain game (haven't played anything but BYOR-type games for a bit), so...I'm in, if that's acceptable.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 18, 2011, 10:53:35 pm »

Well, I'm posting more and I'm starting to ask a few questions so I'd say I'm starting.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2011, 10:55:30 pm »

Unvote Gah! I know I'm panicking! I don't want to be panicking, I just am! I'm confused though. and pprobably abuot to be lynched... Oh well. As lnog as town gets the Mafia anyway, I can still win...
Anyway, time to get away from my horrible botch attempt at scumhunting and try again! Preferably more calmly!

Oh, and Toaster, I already posted my thoughts. That's what my case was meant to be.

So..... Okami, why haven't you been posting?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2011, 10:56:14 pm »

I love it when people use what I say against me.
I'm pretty sure that's the only way to play mafia.

I made a shaky accusation to see if it would turn anything up. This is known as reaction testing. It's a fairly common tactic, and the only reason it's not very effective is because pretty much everybody can recognize what's going on. It is, unfortunately, in apparent violation of what I said about being transparent, because it's a tactic that requires some subtlety. I can't tell Okami No Rei that I'm testing for his reaction, now can I?
In the same way, wouldn't what Okami did be reaction testing? Why would you agree with me in the first place if that was the case?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2011, 10:59:43 pm »

Oh, and Heliman, I DID see that thread. I'd been following it fro a while with quite a bit of interest. I averted my eyes.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2011, 11:03:26 pm »

Replacement needed?  Huh.  I feel like playing a rather plain game (haven't played anything but BYOR-type games for a bit), so...I'm in, if that's acceptable.
I think Breadbocks is already subbing in.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32