Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [1/7, 3/3]: Evening 3 - GAME OVER & TOWN WIN!  (Read 95122 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: 1 replace, please!~
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2011, 07:34:25 pm »

Actually, I do want to lift a finger against Okami.

Then go fucking do it.

Until you do that you don't really have a defense.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2011, 07:38:48 pm »

Jim. Answer my points. Stop tunneling. Stop recycling the same argument over and over again. Sotp deflecting. Don't OMGUS. Do I really have to plead with you to get you to use logic?

So, Okami. Why would you not scumhunt directly? Why would you have to weave an elaborate supposed bandwagon trap, and end up using it to blame someone of being scum, namely everyone else who scumhunts Taricus. And then why would you have to defend Taricus? Why not just go out and scumhunt.

That was easier than expected.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2011, 07:43:23 pm »

1. I don't understand what you're trying with the profanity. I'm simply calling him out. And if you look at my previous post, I really did say that he'd attempt to call me out on passivity- an argument he's been recycling- and he did. And he has been refusing to answer my points, he's just been continuing to use the same question (Which Toaster had just used against me mind you). I don't see the problem.

2. I've never attempted to focus ONLY on Taricus. Doing so would be bad for town. I'm scumhunting multiplem people. And judging by his tunneling, I'm guessing I'm being fairly successful. And Taricus is also an easy lynch. I want to see about other people as well before I go for a throat.

3. My suspicions? I still have them. I just don't HAVE any actual questions for him yet and I don't want to steal an argument.

4. I'm certainly not attacking Jim for scum behavior. Tunneling, deflection, OMGUS, and recycling arguments are in no way IC behavior. They're scum behavior. Why are you defending Jim from my scumhunting over that?

5. Again with the profanity. No idea what you're trying to prove there.

The profanity is because I'm having trouble comprehending what you're doing here. It wasn't until after Jim asked you to push Okami that you claimed he was scum. Is anyone who pushes you to explain your actions automatically in the wrong? Why were you saying you suspect Okami and then not doing anything? You're flipping out over someone whose only real request has been to put your suspicions about Okami in words. There's also the fact that no matter what content you're putting out, you're really obviously flipping out. Posting 3 times in a row, never pausing to think, trying to fill up as much space as possible.

I don't understand what you're doing. I don't know why you suddenly talk about Okami now when you refused to the first 3 times you were asked to. I don't know why I should believe you're town.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2011, 07:56:51 pm »

I claimed he was scum, NOT because he asked me to push Okami but because he was reusing the same argument about passivity, refusing to answer my points (seriously he just called them made-up), and just generally tunneling me. The OMGUS doesn't help either. Jim's acting scummy, so I scumhunt them, and both you and Jim have a problem with that for some reason. Anyway, you need to read too. I have repatedly- repeatedly put my suspicion into words. And I'm not really flipping out. I'm scumhunting him. They're not the same, and if you are trying to disprove allll my scumhunting my saying "Oh, you're flipping out and trying to fill space", and trying to distract me with this, as well as defending Jim with the excuse that tunneling and OMGUSes are IC behavior- which they are in no way- and chainsawing me, which you have no reason to do- You're probably scum. I've been talking about Okami all the time, readily answering Jim's questions (which he's ignored and tunneled me), every time. I just refused to ask him something because I couldn't think of something original, and I knew he'd accuse me of bandwagoning if I didn't have something new. And now I thought of something.

I triple posted because one cannot edit. First, my main post. Second, investigating something I jadn't seen until I posted. And Third, explaining why I was so jump yesterday, which I'd just remembered.
I know what I'm doing. I'm scumhunting. You're trying to chainsaw me to stop me scumhunting Jim. Don't believe I'm town if you really want to. If you're town though, you'd actually look at my posts instead of simply agreeing with everything Jim says,

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2011, 08:00:36 pm »

A defense of mafia jargon is a pretty weak one.

Stop tunneling.

I'm not.

Stop recycling the same argument over and over again.

No.

If it's effective I can repeat an argument as much as I want. In fact, I should repeat an effective argument as much as possible.

Sotp deflecting.

I'm not.

Don't OMGUS.

It's not an OMGUS if I have good reasons.

It's only an OMGUS if it's a kneejerk reaction to being voted.

Do I really have to plead with you to get you to use logic?

Mafia really isn't a game of logic. It's a game of observation and intuition .

So, Okami. Why would you not scumhunt directly? Why would you have to weave an elaborate supposed bandwagon trap, and end up using it to blame someone of being scum, namely everyone else who scumhunts Taricus. And then why would you have to defend Taricus? Why not just go out and scumhunt.

That was easier than expected.

It took you this long and a ton of whining to ask a weak question to a person you said you suspected.

That's inconsistent. Inconsistency is very scummy.

And you still don't look like you really want to deal with Okami No Rei, because it took this long.

See what I'm doing here? I'm repeating an effective argument.

FAKEEDIT: And now you're completely melting down. You can't accuse everybody who's got perfectly legitimate questions about what you're doing of being scum and expect to live long afterward.

Next time, don't flip the fuck out at everything. And make sure your actions line up with your words.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2011, 08:30:27 pm »

So. You refuse to even acknowledge the myriad other points I'd had against you- Like the stealing of your argument from Toaster, and other things, and your mere dismisslal of them isn't tunneling? It isn't deflecting? And it's not particularly effective. You're just gettnig me to repeat the same thing over and over again in the hopes that I'll sound scummy enough a time that I say it that you can lead a bandwagon against me. That's nto something a townie should do.

And I answered his questions. The ones that were exaclty the same as yours, based off of your reasoning. That's called exactly doing everything you say. He's, like you, shoving the same question in my face and acting like I've never answered it before, when I have every time. You can't keep me from having my scumpicks, nor can you keep me from scumhunting- which I'm now doing with three people at once, you, Okami, and Think- And both you AND Think are appearing to really not like getting scunhunted. Is it because you two are scum? Is it?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2011, 08:36:13 pm »

Oh, and scumhunting aggressively does NOT equal flipping out, so you know? Why are you so annoyed about me scumhunting you and Think, Jim?
Why are you pressing me so hard to only go for
Okami, who you're trying to get lynched?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: D1 - Courtroom Brawl
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2011, 09:01:28 pm »

Going around and a little bit back here, but w/e lets go.

@Jim,
Continuing to interrogate Taricus wasn't exactly getting me anywhere.  I don't like doing work and then having nothing to show for my efforts.
Ah, so I was right. You were just pressuring Taricus for show.
I don't like how you're purposely twisting Okami's words here. He's not saying "show" he's saying "to show for my efforts," which denotes a meaning that translates to "to get from all this."

@Okami
Heliman now.  He's already parroting Jim.  Presciently, even.
Excuse me? Where and how.

@Powder Miner
(Debasing my reaons to get me off of people is something you seem to be doing a lot lately: I believe it's called chainsaw defending)
With no scum flips, a suspected Chainsaw defense is a Null Tell.

Oh, and scumhunting aggressively does NOT equal flipping out, so you know? Why are you so annoyed about me scumhunting you and Think, Jim?
  Powder, if there's anyone flipping teh fuck out right now, it's you, to the point where you're even getting worked up over cussing.

Why are you pressing me so hard to only go for Okami, who you're trying to get lynched?
No he isn't still going for Okami, he's going after you. You know, with that red vote that looks kinda like Unvote,Vote Powder Mines (hoo hoo subtle vote haa haa)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09:41 pm »

I always flip out about profanity.
And I didn't say that he's going only after Okami. I said that he's trying to get me to only go after Okami.
If you kill me, it'll just be -1 townie. No big deal. But at least be smart enough to cop Jim Groovester. Or Think.
And also, Heliman I didn't say that Jim was flipping out. You're misunderstanding what I'm saying pretty badly. And what IS a null tell? No idea.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09:57 pm »

Oh, and what's a scum flip?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2011, 09:20:45 pm »

And since I'm probably about to die, I'm going to post my entire case about Jim right now. That's right Jim, your attempts to get me to stop scumhunting you have failed. You people may not listen to me, but when I turn out townie, this'll be out here. It just will. And there's nothing you can do about it, scum.
My case:
First off, Jim thinks I'm scummy for my overreaction. Perfectly acceptable. He thenaccuses me of passivity when I'm pressing Taricus, for not going for my lesser suspicions over Okami. Still not a case at all for me. I answer him about why I'm not going for Okami yet. He proceeds to ask me the same question again. I answer him again. After a little bit of this, complete with me finally pulling off of Taricus, who is turning out to be lurking from fear of posting, he accuses me of rehashing my answers to the same question. Of course, I haven't suddenly changed my mind. So I continue to defend myself, call him out on reusing the same question. He then votes me for it, with the grand logic claim, that, despite my answering, I apparently reaaally don't want to touch Okami. And the only other logic? He calls me scum. Whoop-de-do. He also denies my repeated answering of his question, and summarily attempts to dismiss all of my arguments against him with "he made it up" And he OMGUSes me.
I call him out on that and using the same argument and nearly the same question that Toaster was. (That's probably what he said I made up) Anyway, he still refuses to answer about that, and aqlthough he defends his votef ro me, he's conveniently forgotten about my other points, and the fact that I HAVE answered him repeatedly. And then he claims that he's not tunneling me.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2011, 09:51:15 pm »

That's right Jim, your attempts to get me to stop scumhunting you have failed.

I never wanted you to stop scumhunting. You not scumhunting in the first place is exactly what got you in this mess.

Just one correction of many that you deserve, because I don't really want to trawl through all your scattershot arguments and refute them line by line since you don't actually seriously think I'm scum. The only reason you bothered attacking me in the first place is because I pressed you about your suspicions. I mean, what a terrible thing for me to do. Everything after that has been a kneejerk reaction to it and it should be clear to everyone that that's exactly what's going on.

Oh, and what's a scum flip?

When a player is lynched or nightkilled, their role is revealed. This is called a roleflip. Depending on their alignment, a player can flip town or flip scum. Scumflip, townflip, come from that.

And what IS a null tell? No idea.

Null tells are common things players do that don't really mean anything one way or the other about their alignment. For the chainsaw defense example, a player can only chainsaw defend (i.e., attack a player who is attacking their scumbuddy) if they are scum. However, it could just as easily be that that player is town and thinks the other is scummy. So until that player's alignment is known, that they attacked somebody who was attacking someone else doesn't really mean anything one way or the other.

For contrast, there are town tells, which indicate a player is town, and scum tells, which indicate that a player is scum.

@Jim,
Continuing to interrogate Taricus wasn't exactly getting me anywhere.  I don't like doing work and then having nothing to show for my efforts.
Ah, so I was right. You were just pressuring Taricus for show.
I don't like how you're purposely twisting Okami's words here. He's not saying "show" he's saying "to show for my efforts," which denotes a meaning that translates to "to get from all this."

Yep, I know.

But Okami No Rei's hard to attack. I don't like what he's doing but don't have a perfect answer for how to deal with him.

I don't think I'm wrong about it though. I do think he only pressured Taricus because he thought he would be an easy target as well as to make a show of scumhunting, because it was clear almost from the moment Taricus spoke that he was only inexperienced. But I'm at a complete loss about how to nail him to the wall about it. I tried what you pointed out to see if I could get anything to stick.

Nope.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2011, 09:53:05 pm »

I always flip out about profanity.

I realize that you're young, so you have a viable excuse for this--but if you keep playing with us (and I hope you do!), you are going to need to toss this habit.

In the end, it doesn't matter THAT much what you've got going on in your own life and personality.  If you're going to play this game, you're going to need to learn how to calm down and stop giving excuses for your own scummy behavior as "just how you are."  It may be true, but it's also an argument that has flown extremely well for scum in the past (i.e. me), and which we generally don't accept for that reason.

Keep going, though.  I can tell that you'll play a lot better once you have this game under your belt, and I look forward to facing you :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2011, 09:54:58 pm »

Jim, I DO seriously think you're scum. I've been scumhunting you all this time, or at least been trying to.  But seriously though, you took that passivity thing from Toaster.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2011, 09:59:36 pm »

I mean, I AM scumhunting. I wouldn't be asking you anything if I weren't. I'd probably just try to get you to shut up.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32