Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [1/7, 3/3]: Evening 3 - GAME OVER & TOWN WIN!  (Read 95143 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: D1 - Courtroom Brawl
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2011, 08:02:47 pm »

You get dogpiled with helpful advice.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2011, 08:06:17 pm »

I've got a few replacements in mind, should it be necessary.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2011, 09:44:43 pm »

Powder Miner:
I'd have to say Okami no rei for the "two scum running around with flawless town games" thing, and the points everyone else has been making, and still Taricus a little bit, he has been quite scummy.

Is Taricus a little bit suspicious, or quite scummy?  Why has he been quite scummy?  Even if it is blatantly obvious to you, you still have to say why.  Otherwise, you look like bandwagonning scum.

Actually, your very passive play is irking me.  Why aren't you doing anything to pursue your suspects?  Why are you just popping in to answer questions and not asking ones of your own, nor attacking players you think scummy?

Sitting there on the sideline is not doing anyone any good.

Taricus:
I'm not quitting, I'm just trying to think up something that won't get me dogpiled.

You shouldn't be afraid to speak your mind.  If you say what's on your mind and are honest and forthright, people will listen to you.   You may get attention if your reasons or logic sucks, but that gives you a chance to clarify it.  If you're constantly vocal about what you think of others and pursue scum, you'll find yourself not voted. 
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2011, 10:04:59 pm »

Well, Toaster, for one, he's Only aq little bit susipicious at this point due to him acting less scummy. And my passive play? You must be blind. If you open your eyes, you'll see that I actually got annoyed and pulled Taricus over here, and... guess what: I asked a question! Oh, what a shocker (sarcasm if you fail to understand it as such)! Now, YOU on the other hand, I haven't seen many posts from you and certainly not a lot of scumhunting. So are YOU being passive? (Heck, you're the only one who wasn't voting up until now. Hmm....)
Anyway, It won't hurt to scumhunt someone else.
How about you, Unvote, Jim Groovester? Who do you find most and second most scummy right now?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2011, 10:06:25 pm »

Fakeedit: Looking at some of the earlier posts, you are pretty active, Toaster, and I've been scumhunting too. But if you mean me being three pages gone at a time as passivism, that is middle school. No choice in that.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2011, 10:07:27 pm »

Further fakeedit: Gah, what was I thinking calling you passive at all? I need to check the pages I've been gone for more closely.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2011, 10:52:02 pm »

How about you, Unvote, Jim Groovester? Who do you find most and second most scummy right now?

Jim Groovester: Who are your two top scumpicks, and why?

Okami No Rei. For pressuring Taricus for show and for changing up his story about what he was actually doing about that.

And then... I'm not sure. After Okami No Rei there's a sharp drop-off in my suspicions. I'd probably say anski4 for the following reasons.

You can add yourself to the list.

Any other questions?

. . .

Oh, fine. I'll tell you why you should add yourself to the list. It's only my job as an IC.

You're being extremely panicky and reactionary. Toaster's pressure wasn't really all that fierce, so I've got to wonder, what is it about you that makes you panic from so little pressure? Could it be, that you're scum? And now that somebody's voting you you don't know what to do? I dunno. Seems like that could be the case to me.

You don't want to lose your cool. Not from pressure that other players are putting on you. Sometimes players will vote you just to see what happens, and if you react like you just did, you'll give them reason to keep their vote on you.

You know, coupled with your wishy washy voting, I've got more than enough reason to switch my vote to you. But I still want to hear from Okami No Rei.

Good thing we got that extension!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2011, 11:08:27 pm »

OK, you find me scummy. This is why I'm only in a Beginner's Mafia. Anyway, wishy-washy? It's the Random Vote tage, and since I wasn't getting an answer form Taricu, I decided to scumhunt other people. It shows who you are if you have a problem with that.

Anyway, I anwered him perfectly well, although I do admit my tirade as a bit panicky.

But can you please tell me how I'm being passive/wishy-washy? I'm not trying to be.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2011, 11:12:13 pm »

Actually, you know what? Screw this. I don't care if I end up killing myself, I'm going to scumhunt Taricus. Until I end up getting lynched or nightkilled, if I'm unlucky.
And with two RL days until day end, I should have plenty of time.
Unvote, Taricus
OK Taricus, I want answers. Why did you rearlier get close to OMGUSing Okami no Rei when he caught you without an answer? Do you expect that it'll help town win by lurking with the excuse that whatever you post will get you into trouble. Or are you scum? And I don't care if you object, I want your answers now.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2011, 11:20:09 pm »

But can you please tell me how I'm being passive/wishy-washy? I'm not trying to be.

'Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, I want to vote Okami No Rei, but I'm worried about looking scummy, buuuuuuuuuuuut now that I know it's even scummier to do something like that, I guess I'm not going to change my vote and just keep voting Taricus anyway because he's kinda sorta scummy, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut now that I got called out on it I guess I'll change my vote to Jim Groovester? Maybe that's a good move? I don't really know.'

...and since I wasn't getting an answer form Taricu, I decided to scumhunt other people. It shows who you are if you have a problem with that.

Yes. The IC.

Why would you stop trying to get an answer from Taricus? I mean, if you were reeeally concerned about it, you would hound him until you answered or you voted him because he didn't. If he's scum, you giving up because he didn't answer you works in his favor. So, in essence, you're not doing your due town diligence.

You know what we call people who don't do their due town diligence? Scum.

Anyway, I anwered him perfectly well, although I do admit my tirade as a bit panicky.

Hoohaaheehaahaa. Oh, that's good.

You still flipped out. You can't pretend that that didn't happen. You've got to carry that for the rest of the game.

FAKEEDIT: You're not helping your case. You're still flipping the fuck out.

That's bad, you know. You should probably stop flipping the fuck out and calm down instead.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2011, 11:29:15 pm »

Seriously, Powder Miner. Regardless of whether you're town or scum, always take a deep breath and wait a while before you make a post. Take that time to look over your response, the whole thread, and see if what you're saying is what you really want to say. If you're town, it'll prevent you from making silly mistakes that distract everyone else and let the scum pounce on you, and if you're scum, it'll prevent you from making that one post that'll cost you the game. Taking time will save you from a lot of mistakes you make in the heat of the moment, and the deadline is a long ways off.

'Sides, it's not like LNCP is holding a gun to your head to react instantly to every post. You can afford to wait a bit.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2011, 11:33:48 pm »

Well. God, I look scummy to myself now. Or I would if I didn't know my role. But if I didn't know my iwn role I wouldn't know if I were scum or not- Never mind.
Anyway, who's flipping out at this point? Both of us.

And if I waited several days whilst not doing anything else, or not scumhunting anyone ele whilst stopping pressure voting Taricus, that would be not doing my town due diligence. And acording to you, that means I'm scum.
Anyway, I'm in full knowledge of my flip-out level. I just said I answered the question, not. "No, I'm not flipping out, WHAT DO YOU MEAN I'M FLIPPING OUT SCUUUUUUM" (slight exaggeration)

And I'm confused about your top point. And Jim Groovester, I'm not going with a continued vote change. I'm RVing. And I know I'm flipping out. If I manage to get enough info to expoe Taricus a scum, even if I die right afterwards, i'll win. One doesn't need to be alive to win, especially as town. Although aliveness is preferable

Fakeedit: Think, I guess you're right.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2011, 11:34:27 pm »

Gah, forgot to remove that. I'm NOT confused about your top point. switching up my points here. Geh.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2011, 11:52:16 pm »

But it's not the Random Vote Stage anymore. Once people start voting people they suspect, i.e., not randomly anymore, then it's over.

Anyway, who's flipping out at this point? Both of us.

Aaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

You're funny.

And I'm confused about your top point. And Jim Groovester, I'm not going with a continued vote change. I'm RVing. And I know I'm flipping out. If I manage to get enough info to expoe Taricus a scum, even if I die right afterwards, i'll win. One doesn't need to be alive to win, especially as town. Although aliveness is preferable

Wrong attitude.

You think Taricus is scum because...??????? Well, you don't have that yet. I guess you'll find it.

That's not how it works. That's not how it works at all. That's a completely horrible and terrible mindset and it loses games.

Reasons come first. They always come first. You can't suspect somebody for no reason and expect to fill in the gaps later. You need the reasons first, and then you can suspect somebody.

And I know I'm flipping out.

Knowing you're doing something scummy is not an excuse for it.

Because if you know you're doing it, why don't you just stop?

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2011, 12:25:59 am »

More of a salvage operation of a scumhunt gone sour.

And now you're changing up your story.

I was directing the pressure to try and improve his game, but the primary concern is to create a sufficient amount of chaos that opportunistic, inexperienced scum scramble out of the woodwork at the the smell of an easy lynch.

You could understand how somebody could get the impression that it was your plan from the start to use Taricus as bait for inexperienced scum, considering that it was apparently 'the primary concern'.

And now you're saying that it was a scumhunt gone sour.

So which is it?
Ahem...
Speaking of your motives, why the hell are you being so hard on Taricus? You're putting a lot of pressure on him. I don't think it's because you actually think he's scum. I think it's because you want to make a good show of scumhunting.

You know what scumhunting for appearances' sake is? Scummy.
You're right.  I don't think he's scum.  I don't think he's not scum, either.  At this point I've been more interested in seeing the reactions to my pressing him.  Specifically, I've been using him as bait while trawling for bandwagoning scum.  That plan's over now I've said it, which is why I waited until tonight rather than last night to post again (needing to sleep and go to work played a role in the decision as well).  Now I've got a veritable mountain of reactions to sift through.
From the start, I was questioning him in order to get a read on him.  When he proved unreadable, my priorities changed to salvaging the interrogation by pushing it beyond reasonable territory, thereby getting reads one everyone from the responses to it.   So it's both.  Only by twisting my words do you arrive at the conclusion that my stories changed.

Continuing to interrogate Taricus wasn't exactly getting me anywhere.  I don't like doing work and then having nothing to show for my efforts.

Ah, so I was right. You were just pressuring Taricus for show.
Semantics.  Again, you twist my words to have your own meaning.  Do I need to spell it out for you?

I don't work for nothing.  In this case, I work to catch scum.  Interrogating Taricus directly was not helping catch scum, but a simple shift in tactics part way through did.

Okami. Now that I think more about your actions and your responses, I see you as pushing for a bandwagon
Pushing for scum.  Bandwagons, like mobs, tend to form around action.
you didn't want to physically participate in
Certainly not after I saw I wasn't getting anywhere.  Like I said, I like to see results.
that didn't materialize.
Because I was the one who shut it down.

There was a fair bit of time between you starting the push on Taricus and you 'revealing' your master plot. About 24 hours or so. While I understand that you can only make so many content filled posts or so, you can't say that you didn't expect anything to happen in those 24 hours. What would you have done if the bandwagon really materialized? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like you're pushing for someone to hang, even if they're non-scum.
I did expect things to happen in the 18 hours I was gone.  On my return, I analyzed what had happened.  The bandwagon did materialize, and one of the members looked like scum.  I am now interrogating him.  Had the bandwagon never materialized, which is what I assume you meant, I'd have come up with a new plan, or revised my old one to work in the new environment.

Quote from: Okami no Rei
Now that that's finished, I think you're trying to find someone to pin the blame on.
Blame?  For the bandwagon?  Who?  I'm the one who started it, collapsed it, and am now hunting with its remains.
To blame for hopping onto a bandwagon of your own creation. It's one thing to point out people hopping onto a bandwagon, it's another if you're driving it. Why should we believe that you aren't scum pushing for the easy lynch? First you go for the guy unwilling to commit or post anything, then you go for the ones who hop on a bandwagon, again, that you started.

What I don't see is someone who's actually concerned with finding scum. What I see is someone who's concerned with finding lynchable people. Why Supercharazad? What makes you think that his vote is a scum vote and not a beginner townie vote?
Because Taricus (FAKEDIT: And now Powder Miner, I suppose) is the easy lynch right now.  The ones that hopped on the bandwagon aren't so easy as you seem to think, since everyone's looking at them as victims right now.  I'm pushing for one of them because I think one of them is scum, not because he's easy.

Scum are very lynchable people, and Supercharazad is scum.  He's a liar, as I show in detail below.

It doesn't automatically justify a sham of a scum hunt
A sham?  Do elaborate on this claim.  Bring evidence.
Don't need to pillweef, because the answer is simple. You said yourself that you weren't scum hunting Taricus because he was scummy, therefore your scum hunt was a ruse.
I said I stopped trying because I didn't think he was scum, but I didn't think he was not scum, either.  I couldn't get him to play, so I couldn't get a read on him, so continuing was a waste of my time.

followed by a planned lurk, it just introduces WIFOM into the equation.
Planned lurk?  That's what you call knocking off for the night, and returning the next day?  I've got another four of those planned for the rest of this week.
You're changing your story again, you said that the lurk was a tactical move to get "reactions" and work and sleep played a role in deciding to wait.
I was fixing to retire for the night at the time anyways, then Jim calls me out on pushing Taricus as hard as I was, and I knew the plan was shot.  So I decided to get some sleep and explain myself the next day, in order to give the plan time to generate results before I had to blow it out of the water.

To everyone, I might not be playing well today due to a series of events, including kneeing my own neck, resulting in a bad cold and a neck that is very painful when I turn it. Thus, my concentration is probably going to be a bit off.
No kidding.  You're using Toaster's points now as well.

Are you trying to defend Tacricus?
Heavens, no.  If he won't take the time and effort to play, I'm certainly not going to take the time and effort to defend him.

In RVS, I think any amount of bandwagoning is fine, so long as you can give a reason and a question.
You hopped on a bandwagon.  You gave several questions.  Let's see your explanation:

Actually, I didn't notice you using those arguments. But, why are you saying that I shouldn't be bandwagoning, when I have my own arguments?
You've got arguments, sure, but none of them are, as you say, your own.

Allow me to demonstrate:

Supercharizard - Hiding something?

Taricus - Nothing to add?  At least he included a decent RVS question when he stacked votes.   Jumping on an easy target like that, without even contributing to the investigation, is downright lazy, and terribly scummy.  Try again.
vs
Supercharizard - Hiding something?

unvote

So, as a matter of fact, I'm not.

Tell me, why the vauge RV? What possible outcome would that answer have generated other than a "no"?

Tacricus, Why the vauge RV? Also, who would prefer as your scumpartner?
I've already called him out on his poor excuse for a RV.

Okami No Rei - No substance to the attack, and not very convincing argument means it'll fall through.
Are you talking about my attack on you, or are you answering my question?  Either way, it's RVS.  I'm pushing you for a lead because you might be scum, and you might slip and give me something solid to work with.  You need to do the same.  Take your minor suspicions and substance-less attacks and use them as tools to harvest material for convincing arguments and uncover solid evidence.

You still haven't addressed the primary concern.  Are you bandwagoning scum or aren't you?  If not, why?

Answering the following might help your case:
Why'd you vote him in the first place if you weren't interested in questioning him?  Why aren't you questioning anyone right now?

You're activelurking right now, which only benefits the scum.  Defend yourself!  Attack somebody!  Do something!
vs
If you know what I meant now, then why not answer?

Not answering questions, that'd be a scumtell you know.
and
No information, no motive yet. I say we attempt a stalemate for the lynch this round, call suspicions rather than voting.

Passiveness: Scumtell.
I've already hammered him for not answering questions and playing passively.

Fact is I don't have much information to give.

You're going to get pressured in this game- everyone does.  Come to expect it.
Pressure applied to someone doesn't equal the fact that you'll get much out of them. Not to mention that a scum would be more subtle than me.

Pressure generally won't go away if the person applying it doesn't like what they get out of it.

Beyond that, that logic you used ("Scum me wouldn't do this") is actually no good, commonly referred to here as WIFOM.  Simply put, 99 times out of 100 that type of statement does no good and shouldn't be used.

I don't see you applying pressure of your own.  Why aren't you questioning people?
vs
Possibly, though they get a kill reguardless if we get one of them this day or not, and whoever got killed at that night may either been onto something or completely off.

They MAY have been on to something. WIFOM right here.
Toaster's already pointed out the WIFOM.

So you don't actually have any arguments of your own against him.  Why'd you join the bandwagon, or, if you prefer, why'd you lie?

So you think he's pretending newbiness?  Show us the evidence.  Just a hunch?  Why aren't you interrogating him yourself?  You can't just say "I think he's scum" and not be providing reasons or actively searching for them.  You're not even voting for him (or anyone else at the moment, for that matter, what's up with that?).

Yes, you could call that just a hunch. And about not voting Taricus, like I already said, my suspicion is not strong enough. And about the not voting anyone part; I had to hurry to school when I last made a post, so I didn't have time to RV anyone and make a question.
Fine, until

There are IMO couple more suspicious persons here than the rest. First we have Okami for the reasons already mentioned by others. Secondly there is Taricus, for reasons I have already posted. Thirdly and fourthly there are Heliman and Think0028 for perhaps too eager lynchstacking...

Taricus, who would you at this moment to be the two scums?
You start interrogating Taricus.  Progress.  But you turn right around and say you're suspicious of me, don't bother asking me a question, and fail to provide original reasoning.  Finally, you accuse Heliman and Think0028 of behaviour that you, yourself, are encouraging.  So, you're supporting my bandwagon, you're condemning its participants, and the only person you're interrogating in all this is Taricus.  What's your motive for all this?  I'll tell you.  You're pushing for what you percieve to be an easy lynch on me, you're covering your tracks by condemning my attackers, and you're continuing to pursue the old easy lynch in case my bandwagon falls through.

Anzki4: Can you reword your question, I don't understand it right now.
Yeah. Sorry about that.
Who would you, at this moment, think to be the two scums?
Better?  :D
You're not even serious about questioning Taricus.

Unvote Taricus: fair enough.

Jim Groovester: like I said in my previous post, the listing was in random order, so Okami is not my "prime suspect." I honestly did not have one before this:

followed by a planned lurk, it just introduces WIFOM into the equation.
Planned lurk?  That's what you call knocking off for the night, and returning the next day?  I've got another four of those planned for the rest of this week. You're changing your story again, you said that the lurk was a tactical move to get "reactions" and work and sleep played a role in deciding to wait.
Something making you nervous, Heliman?? What make's you so distracted arguing against yourself?
And now you're trying to cover your tracks after Jim called you out on not directly attacking me, by going after Heliman over what? A post that's clearly mangled only due to some quote tagging errors?  You're really reaching now.

Okami no Rei, who would you be most afraid of if they were scum?
Jim - Because then there'd be two scum running around with flawless towngames.
*does a spittake*
What? Two flawless scum? how could you possibly know that?
I don't know that, but I would be very concerned about scum getting one-on-one coaching from him, and it's the worst case scenario I'm assuming in any theories around his being scum.

Okami:
Okami no Rei, who would you be most afraid of if they were scum?
Jim - Because then there'd be two scum running around with flawless towngames.

So who's the other scum with a flawless towngame?
Powder Miner was my choice up until this post:
Not posting, just privately. Shoulda made it clear. Middle school keeps me from posting most of the day. And I meant before I NOTICED he made the point. Never mind. Anyway, I'm keeping my vote on Tarius because he's still scummy seeming and I'm afraid I'll get accused of bandwagoning if I vote for Okami.

Heliman now.  He's already parroting Jim.  Presciently, even.

I think this is the third time you've made it clear that you know what we expect of you, yet you continue to fail to deliver.

And there you go with that 'we' business again.

I thought I was clear. Stop that.
You were crystal clear.  That was a 'we' in the sense of those of us interrogating him.

It's still light buddying- you putting up an "Us vs Them" situation.
"Us vs Him" would be more appropriate, in this case.  I'm quite frustrated with his behaviour.  I second the call to Replace Taricus.

Toaster - You're not voting for anyone, either.   In fact, you've been remarkably passive thus far.  What do you think of Supercharazad?

Super?  After his RV, he tunneled Taricus for a while for being so uncooperative before moving on.  His play is reasonable, but I'd like to see him spread his questioning a bit broader.

What do you think of the four votes on you?  What is the likelihood that at least one is scum?  Think both scum are in on it?
But is he scum?

Taricus is OMGUSing, which is a nulltell like everything else about him. Heliman and Think are following Jim as the Voice of Authority and Reason.  Not a scumtell, since he's an IC.  Jim's is the only vote that really means anything.  At least one is scum?  Very likely if I'm wrong about Super and Anzki.  Which one is the question.  I'm still working out Jim's game.  I'd lay even odds that Think or Heliman is scum.  Are both?  Taricus and Think are the only possibility that springs to mind.  Heliman and Jim are a longshot.  None of the other combinations work.

Powder Miner - 0.o
What is this?  I don't even...
You're just plain confusing me now.  Did you forget to take medication or something?
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32