Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [1/7, 3/3]: Evening 3 - GAME OVER & TOWN WIN!  (Read 94970 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: D1 - Courtroom Brawl
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2011, 09:38:28 pm »

Unvote Think0028, Taricus Well, gee. You fail to answer his questions, and when he continues to press, you OMGUS him. Any reason for that?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 09:39:07 pm »

Or rather, almost OMGUS him.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50:42 pm »

Powder miner - What do you mean, He caught without an answer, So I'm wrong.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:28 pm »

Okami No Rei - The minute I tell everyone I'm not scum is the minute I get lynced completely.

I'm not asking you to tell everyone you're not scum.  I'm telling you that your behavior is scummy, and you need to either offer an explanation for that behavior, or you need to correct that behavior.  Me, Jim, and Toaster have all been trying to explain to you how to act in a manner that benefits Town, and you haven't been listening.

The problem isn't that you were wrong.  You made a mistake.  Understandable in a beginner's game.  We're here to learn.  The problem is that you persist in the behavior you've been called out on, without providing a reason for doing so.   This forces us to assume that you have a reason that you're not willing to share, which usually means you're scum.

Okami No Rei Nothing personal, though I'm getting a bit suspicious of you...
Good!  You should be suspicious of everyone!  Not a question, though...
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2011, 10:36:27 pm »

@ONR: Do I know you from somewhere?

More appropriately, where have you played before?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2011, 10:41:24 pm »

*False at very advanced levels

Carry on :3

Quiet, you.

Jim G:  Would you enjoy the chance to be scum in this game to be able to personally tutor someone in the way of scum as well as teaching everyone how to be town?

Oh, absolutely. I would relish the chance to tell everybody how to play a perfectly good town game while being scum.

Although I'm not sure what I would tell my scum partner, or what it would be like for him. It would probably be even more nannying and controlling than what everybody else gets.

Okami No Rei - The minute I tell everyone I'm not scum is the minute I get lynced completely. And I-hell with it.

Not true at all.

You can say you're not scum.

As long as that's not your only defense.

And as long as you're actually scumhunting.

There's a lot you can get away with if you're trying to scumhunt.

So go scumhunt.

This isn't a very effective attack.

What about Okami No Rei makes you suspicious? You need to outline your reasons whenever you suspect anybody. If you don't provide your reasons, you take out whatever force your attack had.

That goes for everybody. Whenever you vote or say somebody is suspicious, reasons reasons reasons reasons reasons reasons reasons reasons.

You should work on being clear. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Me, Jim, and Toaster have all been trying to explain to you how to act in a manner that benefits Town, and you haven't been listening.

Oh, nice. Grouping yourself with the two ICs.

How about you let me and Toaster do the teaching. You could have a lot of experience for all I know, but I distrust your motives.

Speaking of your motives, why the hell are you being so hard on Taricus? You're putting a lot of pressure on him. I don't think it's because you actually think he's scum. I think it's because you want to make a good show of scumhunting.

You know what scumhunting for appearances' sake is? Scummy.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2011, 11:40:02 pm »

Taricus, so let me understand this: You (almost) OMGUS'ed someone because they caught you without an answer?

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2011, 02:56:41 am »

Think0028, let's say you're the Doctor. What criteria would you use to make a decision about who to protect, and why?

First day, I'd protect whoever is the most active and doesn't give me a scum reading, as I'd feel that as scum, I'd pick off the more active players first so I could get a win through more easily against the more passive players. Afterwards, I'd look for people who suddenly become more aggressive, on suspicion of them being a cop. What would you do as doctor?

Okami, I have not read any games with Heliman in them unfortunately.

Toaster, what would you do on the first day if you were a cop? What do you feel about Okami vs. Taricus right now? Personally, I feel that Taricus is being suspicious, but more in a noob way than in a scum way.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2011, 03:13:58 am »

Think0028, let's say you're the Doctor. What criteria would you use to make a decision about who to protect, and why?

First day, I'd protect whoever is the most active and doesn't give me a scum reading, as I'd feel that as scum, I'd pick off the more active players first so I could get a win through more easily against the more passive players. Afterwards, I'd look for people who suddenly become more aggressive, on suspicion of them being a cop. What would you do as doctor?

That's a good answer. Unvote.

I'd basically do the same thing. I'd think about likely night kill targets and work from there. Usually that means whoever's being the loudest, most obnoxious, most abrasive scumhunter.

Any opinion on anyone else in the game besides Taricus?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2011, 03:15:18 am »

What the hell am I doing, I should be RVing pressuring someone.

Okami No Rei, at least until he answers my question about Taricus.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2011, 05:22:57 am »

Anzki4, Toaster is an IC, are you doubting his ability to play already?
Not at all. Just question about his fittingness to the part of a scum.
It's a hypothetical question designed to give me insight into how Think0028 thinks0028. I'm not actually looking for information about the Doctor.
Very well. Unvote Jim Groovester.

And Taricus, I wonder if your answers are just inexperience, which most of us here posses, or is there something else behind it...

Powder Miner, you have been spared for questions, so let me ask; if you were scum, who would be your partner?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2011, 06:32:09 am »

That would be inexperience. Coupled with a lack of social skills.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2011, 08:24:12 am »

Taricus:
Okami No Rei - No substance to the attack, and not very convincing argument means it'll fall through.

Then you should put substance in your attack.

Okami No Rei - The minute I tell everyone I'm not scum is the minute I get lynced completely. And I-hell with it.

It's OK to say you're not scum if someone asks you if you are.  It's a good idea, in fact.

You should say why.

In general, you should go into more detail in your answers and questions.  A good rule of thumb is to assume everyone is adding "Why?" after every question they ask (as in "Who do you think is scum?  Why?")  One or two lines implies you either don't want to participate or are hiding something.

That would be inexperience. Coupled with a lack of social skills.

That's why you're here.

Jim:  Fair enough.  Unvote Jim G.

Toaster, what would you do on the first day if you were a cop? What do you feel about Okami vs. Taricus right now? Personally, I feel that Taricus is being suspicious, but more in a noob way than in a scum way.

During the day, I'd play as I would if I was vanilla town.  At night, I'd either investigate my strongest suspicion or someone I had trouble reading- former if said suspicion was very strong, latter if I was unsure.

Okami seems to know what he is doing while Taricus is clearly new.  I'm not yet getting strong scum vibes from either of them.   But since I'm here...

Okami:  Clearly you've played before.  Do you prefer playing town or scum?  Why?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:02 am »

Any opinion on anyone else in the game besides Taricus?

Nothing quite in particular yet, but I'm a tad concerned about potential momentum building up on Taricus on the grounds of him looking scummy because he's a beginner, so I'm looking at other people at the moment. Although I'm feeling a slight suspicion towards Okami.

During the day, I'd play as I would if I was vanilla town.  At night, I'd either investigate my strongest suspicion or someone I had trouble reading- former if said suspicion was very strong, latter if I was unsure.

Okami seems to know what he is doing while Taricus is clearly new.  I'm not yet getting strong scum vibes from either of them.   But since I'm here...

Okami:  Clearly you've played before.  Do you prefer playing town or scum?  Why?

Thank you, I'll unvote Toaster. But before I go on, I'd like to ask you and Jim Groovester the same question, seeing as you're both experienced on playing Mafia on these forums. Do you prefer playing town, or scum? Also, if town, would you prefer to have a power role or be vanilla? As scum?

Oh, Powder Miner, I missed your question earlier. As this is my first game, I'd be quite happy with a plain vanilla townsie. If I was scum, however, I would be much more willing to take on a power role, thanks to the support network of scumchat. As town, I don't think I have enough experience/intelligence to take on a power role as of yet.

Back to what I said earlier, Okami no Rei. While I understand that Taricus is throwing a very large scumtell of active lurking and lacks meat to his attacks, I feel like he's reacting more like a inexperienced town than a bandwagoning scum. Consider that he folded almost instantly when you started pushing him and hasn't fought back. I believe as a scum he would be more concerned with his appearances, especially as a beginner on the first day. Do you think that Taricus is scum, or are you pressuring him to improve his game?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2011, 11:21:43 am »

Think:  I'm better at scum, so a slight preference toward it.  As town, I like having something to do at night, but I'll take whatever I get dealt.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32